Sign in to follow this  
Hellshade

RoF First Impressions

Ok guys,

I've only had a short while to mess around with Rise of Flight, but here are some of the things I've noticed to far, good and bad.

On the Good Side

Plane Modeling is excellent. They look beautiful

Damage Modeling is also excellent. In flight damage and crashes really do look spectacular. Even put down a fellow in flames, though it was just his engine.

Water modeling is beautiful. Flying over it is very believable, as is crashing into it (of which I have some personal experience).

Flight Model I'm going to say is good, although I've only flown the DVII. It bounces around alot unless you have extremely steady hands and make only the smallest of corrections when trying to line up a target. On the plus side, I doubt anyone is going to be getting 3 or more kills per mission. You'll be lucky to get one. It can be quite tedious to line up a target.

Landscape and scenery is also very good. I can't say I honestly like it better than OFF BHaH, but it does a good job.

Performance is probably the best feature of RoF if you have the rig to run it. I run it at 1920 x 1200, 8x AA, all graphics models on HIGH and all Post Processing Effects turned on and I easily run 45 - 55 FPS with a stutter only once in a very great while. My basic setup is a Quad core i7 920 overclocked to 4Ghz with 6 GB RAM, Vista 64 bit and a 1GB GTX280 (also overclocked). If you have the PC Muscle, the game will take full advantage of it. Fair notice though, I've only flown with 1 other plane in the sky. It may well all go to hell once you fill the sky with planes.

Sound is mostly excellent. The wind, the sound of another plane passing close to you, your guns firing. It all sounds great. However there is no musical score playing during loading screens. Some background music while a mission loads would definately work better to put you in the mood to play. Instead you are just left staring at the % counter slowly working up to 100% in strange spurts. 12%, 25%, 37%, 100%.

On the Bad Side

Definately have to log in to play. No exceptions.

Only 2 flyable aircraft. Spad XIII and Foker DVII. Only 2 other non-flyables (as far as I can tell). An Albatross (DVa I believe, not sure) and a Noop 24 (I believe). If you want variety, look elsewhere.

The AI hasn't impressed me at all. So far most of what it does is make a head on pass, then fly away for a fairly long time, then turn left and dive, turn right and climb, then fly away some more. That about covers it. Shooting down a plane isn't difficult because they (the AI) are great pilots. It's difficult because you have to micro-correct your aim otherwise you bounce around like you just had 12 cups of coffee even when they are flying straight and level away from you for a long time (which they do often). Most of my time has literally been chasing straight after the enemy, waiting for them to eventually turn so I can get close enough to fire off some rounds that might hit. This is a game definately designed for player vs player to make the combat exciting. Maybe the AI gets better, but so far I haven't seen anything impressive.

The campaign is something I haven't touched yet, but I'd be extremely suprised if Neoqb could somehow make a great campaign out of a total of 4 aircraft and a sub-par AI. I just don't see how it could be fulfilling with those two drawbacks, but I say that in full admission of the fact that I haven't actually played it.

One other minor gripe about sound besides no musical score though is my DVII never sounds like it's full throttle. It always sounds like I'm stuck at no more than 50%, just cruising along. It never sounds like my engine is going "balls to the wall" out hard to push for maximum performance. When I'm trying to chase down the Noop in the 1v1 mission, the noop always pulls away from me and my DVII, even at max throttle, kinda sounds like it's just taking it's time. It's a little disheartening and take some of the excitement out of air to air combat. If you are pushing you machine to extremes to shoot down another plane, it should sound like your engine is doing more than just run idle.

My overall first impression of RoF is that they have a strong foundation on which to build a wonderful, truly amazing WWI flight sim. They just haven't done it yet and really don't appear to be focused on doing so ever. Instead, they put all of their effort into eye candy and physics effects, leaving almost nothing for plane variety, AI skill, campaign depth, musical score or historical accuracy. The very few missions listed feel like a lame tutorial to prepare you to fly and fight against other real pilots. If I could have the perfect flight sim right now, it would be comprised of the following things.

Graphics engine > RoF

Damage Model > RoF

Performance > RoF

Flight Model > OFF

Campaign > OFF

QC Missions > OFF

Aircraft Variety > OFF

AI combat skill > OFF

Historical Accuracy > OFF

Game launch > OFF (no internet log in)

Sound tie between some RoF and some OFF

Developer support > OFF

On-line Player vs Player combat > OFF - While this category should go to RoF, the problem is with just 2 flyable planes in RoF, you are either shooting at Spad XIIIs or Fokker DVIIs. Period. That may change in the future, but for now, RoF just doesn't have enough variety in the air to really keep things exciting. Even if RoF has 4 aircraft in the sky, OFF BHaH has many times more than that, with more on the way via a payware expansion pack currently under development. It will be tremendously difficult for Neoqb to catch up with OBDs offering in terms of variety.

In short, OFF BHaH has good looks and great depth. RoF has great looks but is very, very shallow. If I were to portray them as girls, RoF is the empty headed, hot cheerleader who you dream about scoring with but who just isn't as much fun as you imagined she'd be once you finally get your hands on her. OFF BHaH is the pretty girl next door you fall in love with and marry. She may not be the most absolute beautiful girl on the block, but she has it where it really counts that keeps you coming back for more unless you just aren't looking for something serious to begin with.

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade

Thanks, HS, should be getting mine and will compare notes. It's just about what I speculated though.. a dumb blond who will hopefully grow up. :biggrin:

Don't Knock Dumb Blonds.

Yes, I learned that at an early age.. don't knock up dumb blonds.. glad you've come to your senses. :rolleyes:

Edited by rabu

Don't Knock Dumb Blonds.

I never said anything about anyone being blonde. I only said that sometimes the ones who look like the most fun, don't turn out to be nearly as much fun as you thought they were going to be. :ok:

Hellshade

I never said anything about anyone being blonde. I only said that sometimes the ones who look like the most fun, don't turn out to be nearly as much fun as you thought they were going to be. :ok:

Hellshade

I think we all understood that, we just went OFF on a blond tangent. Oops.

That always online requirement, even for single play, is going to prevent me from buying RoF. And it doesn't seem to have much to offer in any category compared to OFF. I hate all that DRM crap and refuse to support companies that treat their customers like potential criminals.

told you so, the initial reviews were not good, and by the looks of things they ignored them to release resulting in similar post-release reviews. heads up guys, there's a huge gap in the market, off can and needs to fill it.

on a side note, there are many advantages to a score, that's why all reputable games put at least minimal effort into providing something. it was one of the many reasons why i was very happy to score off. though had i been asked, i'd have score rof too, but that's their loss, if you don't ask you don't get.

Hellshade, I don't know ROF yet, but I'm almost sure that you could add:

skins variety: OFF

Am I right, or am I right?

Well if this is the case

--------------------------------------------------------

On the Bad Side

Definately have to log in to play. No exceptions.

-------------------------------------------------------

It sure makes it easier to wait for P4. I would say it will cost them a lot of sales.

Anyway P3 is just great aand I really do noy have the time for another sim.

Cheers MarkL.

Ok guys,

Damage Modeling is also excellent. In flight damage and crashes really do look spectacular. Even put down a fellow in flames, though it was just his engine.

Hellshade

I have modded the TVs in OFF where planes are shot down in flames regularly, or wings come off ( in some cases as well), even explosions in mid air. in Hardcore DM.

Your sentence suggests it doesn't, or rarely , happens in OFF- and I agree, - until it is modded. :yes:

It's a WIP, to include all the OFF planes - post 1916 -

One thing I always wanted to say about OFF's visual appearance is, that they did not simply make it

"photo-realism" like.

Although done by more than one artist, the whole work has a "signature", a very special style and "grain".

You would always recognise it among several others. It has character (perhaps some remember "Diablo"-

there I had the same feeling).

To me, it feels great to fly over landscapes, that almost seem sculptured, assembled with the love of a

gardener to his work. When I go low, I still see the "grain" (sorry, my English is lacking the right words)

of the herbs and grass, instead of some dead flat shades of green.

From high above, ROF looks great (especially the rivers) - the low flying in the vids disappointed me there.

Edited by Olham

Hellshade, I don't know ROF yet, but I'm almost sure that you could add:

skins variety: OFF

Am I right, or am I right?

You are correct. I think they have like 10 skins per plane. So 40 skins vs 3,200. OFF definately sends RoF down in flames when it comes to skin variety. I'm not trying to trash RoF. It's cool to look at and I'll try and master the air to air combat it offers, but really there is no comparison to P3 other than to say they are both WWI flight simulators.

Hellshade

When I go low, I still see the "grain" (sorry, my English is lacking the right words)

of the herbs and grass, instead of some dead flat shades of green.

That's right- going low in OFF has always amazed me at just how brilliant it is. The one thing about flight sims that was guaranteed was that, even though the terrain looked great from high up, when you got low - the pixels won. Even FSX, unless it was an airport etc.

Except OFF - when you got low, well, you got low ! still brilliant graphics and perspective. Dogfighting low is almost like Bruno's first dogfight amongst the trees in Blue Max..

I know you guys mostly like the campaign- but you may know me as a QC man.

To survive, say, a 3 v 3 dogfight and then look around for some enemy troops or trucks and then go and use your remaining ammo on them, naturally flying low , and finish with a good landing - well - two or three of those in an evening, and I'm well pleased.

E.g - other day, survived the fight, but the engine gave up . First time I'd noticed the slight wind noise as i looked for a land-out spot. Talk about immersion!

Love this sim!

In short, OFF BHaH has good looks and great depth. RoF has great looks but is very, very shallow. If I were to portray them as girls, RoF is the empty headed, hot cheerleader who you dream about scoring with but who just isn't as much fun as you imagined she'd be once you finally get your hands on her. OFF BHaH is the pretty girl next door you fall in love with and marry. She may not be the most absolute beautiful girl on the block, but she has it where it really counts that keeps you coming back for more unless you just aren't looking for something serious to begin with.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: That's awesome!! I tried to explain this to my wife when I married her... you know... the 'so, why did you marry me' answer to that question... but she got mad at me even still!!

Anyway, thanks for the review. Remember guys, talk about it, but keep it fair and clean. :ok:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: That's awesome!! I tried to explain this to my wife when I married her... you know... the 'so, why did you marry me' answer to that question... but she got mad at me even still!
Indeed that was amazing HS  :biggrin: . Funny, and hell, so correct at the same time. 

In my opinion, OFF and RoF will pave the road that will lead us to a new generation of WWI sims.

OFF will still be the best WWI sim until now though. 

I don't have RoF and don't plan on getting it in its current incarnation, but from reading Hellshade's post, RoF reminds me of how I felt when i bought EAW after flying Red Baron3D: pretty with nice FM's, but ultimately sterile and boring because of the lack of a dynamic campaign. Of course, this was before all of the 3rd party mods came along that immensely improved EAW. Reports of the poor AI in RoF are especially troubling.

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that RoF's developers are very interested in 3rd party mods, judging from the on-line sign-in requirements, which at least partially appear to be present in order to discourage such modding.

If people become dissatisfied with RoF, I wonder if OBD might be able to benefit by working more on the online performance of BHaH?

Edited by Herr Prop-Wasche

Just got my copy of RoF. I'll take her for a test flight and let ya'll know what I think. Back in a while.

CJ

Thanks for the review. Good reporting and interesting data.

I am of course very disappointed to hear about the AI. The AI are not that easy to code and improve. The AI takes time and very experienced testers as I have been working for over 5 years and still not there on BOBII.

I am also disappointed to hear about the jumpy FM when you are targeting an enemy AI as that sounds like a issue to me if it happens all the time.

I should get my copy in a few days so I can try it.

Edited by buddye

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: That's awesome!! I tried to explain this to my wife when I married her... you know... the 'so, why did you marry me' answer to that question... but she got mad at me even still!!

Anyway, thanks for the review. Remember guys, talk about it, but keep it fair and clean. :ok:

Fair is extremely important. RoF does have some very nice features which I pointed out and gave credit for. In some places, their product is ahead of OFF P3. I wish BHaH would get the performance boost provided by being able to support multi-threaded, multi-core processors, but that just isn't possible with the current engine. Neoqb did an excellent job coding their flight sim to maximize the performance of whatever kind of high end rig you might have. They also did an excellent job on the quality of the plane graphics and the damage models. The fact that they actually model the air flow over the wings to determine the FM means that maybe someday we will be able to do an un-coordinated flat 1/2 spin with a Fokker Dr 1 like Voss. Cool, except there is no Dr 1.

I'm just being honest when I say that all the eye candy and very little depth results in a game that's fun to pick up and play for a few minutes but it just can't hold your attention for long periods of time like OFF BHaH can. Too few planes and a "run away then turn and dive past you only to run away again" AI just isn't very exciting. Apparently somebody somewhere agrees with me because the last time I tried to go on multiplayer mode, there were only 2 servers up. One was completely empty and the other had two people on it. Seriously.

Neoqb has the potential to offer a truly outstanding product, but first they need to massively improve the AI, drastically improve the different types (and skins) of planes and get rid of the required log in, in order for people to use the product even on single player mode. Not to mention create a huge, fleshed out dynamic single player campaign. If they do those things, I think they will succeed. But all of those things require time and time requires money. Professional developers may indeed be passionate about their product, but their passion is on a leash held by the financial backers. I wish Neoqb all the best. I just feel they have a ton of content that would have to be added before they could even begin to approach the value of Over Flanders Fields: Between Heaven and Hell.

Hellshade

I'm waiting for my copy of RoF-- I'll try it since I'm a WWI buff and couldn't pass up a chance to try it out.

But the number of planes in RoF is disappointing to say the least if it's just 4. Didn't they have a variety of planes up on their site in screenshots and in the videos?

Anyway I like OFF. It really is like the girl you've known a long time and have gotten to like because of the depth. Beware though-- like many of those girls, in OFF if you screw up or think you know more than you actually do know, she'll let you know about it fast.

Edited by SirMike1983

I have modded the TVs in OFF where planes are shot down in flames regularly, or wings come off ( in some cases as well), even explosions in mid air. in Hardcore DM.

Your sentence suggests it doesn't, or rarely , happens in OFF- and I agree, - until it is modded. :yes:

It's a WIP, to include all the OFF planes - post 1916 -

When can we expect this magnificient bit of mod work to be available for download? I'd love to use it. It sounds awesome. Feel free to post some Hardcore DM screenies of the FB TV mod in action.

/salute

Hellshade

When can we expect this magnificient bit of mod work to be available for download? I'd love to use it. It sounds awesome. Feel free to post some Hardcore DM screenies of the FB TV mod in action.

/salute

Hellshade

Gents, just remember, not every kill was a flamer, or a broken wing. We tested both the 'Hollywood' style (which is flames, dramatics, etc) and yes, all the extra bells and whistles were cool and more fun, but then we evaluated it a little more and decided it was more realistic to see them smoking heavily, spiraling, etc.. rather than bursting into flames on every kill.

Basically, a little of everything for a nice balance. :) But each to his own...have fun with it, especially if Winder is cool with using the files. :biggrin:

OvS

Gents, just remember, not every kill was a flamer, or a broken wing. We tested both the 'Hollywood' style (which is flames, dramatics, etc) and yes, all the extra bells and whistles were cool and more fun, but then we evaluated it a little more and decided it was more realistic to see them smoking heavily, spiraling, etc.. rather than bursting into flames on every kill.

Basically, a little of everything for a nice balance. :) But each to his own...have fun with it, especially if Winder is cool with using the files. :biggrin:

OvS

Exactly-- they were the exception rather than the rule from all I've read. THat said, I would like to see a degree of additional visible damage. But regular flamers and the like, I'm not so sure.

Great thread! Think that I will stick with OFF3 for now. Save having to up-date my PC for the time being.

Even if unrealistic, I would like to see a mod that somewhat increased the damage in OFF.

BadBud

www.simflite.com