OK, I want to do another WWII Pacific install since I've upgraded my machine. I have SF, WOV, WOE, and WOI. Since I'm not up to speed on the latest improvements...What is the best "platform" to begin with? Which patch? What upgraded terrains, effects, etc. Thanks!

Oh dear...not sure where to start..

Definatly use WoE as the 'base game' install, ONLY at the 06 patch level (at present -- until we get 3-400 new FMs), and the 06 patch only add 1 or 2 items that may be usefull -- imporved AI and Vista compatibility for the terrain -ie water- effects. The GameEngine ™ generated parked planes create "issues" with the terrain object placed statics.

It also couldn't hurt to have the WoV VietnamSEA terrain folder, as some terrains use that cat pointer (those that don't have the tiles IN their own folder)

WoE also will support carrier ops, that SF don't. Also, if you really are into the PTO, you might consider 'splitting' the theatre into 2 game installs -- one PTO/Central Pacific, and the other CBI, as they use different plane sets

Terrains -- just look in the D/L section. Be advised, that the Solomons upgrade is "still in the factory", as I keep forgetting to ask Deuces about finishing off the treesmod (we need a better jungle -actually, we NEED a jungle to start with!!)

As to mods, well...(trying not to break arm patting self on back :wink: ) anything with my name on it!!! :haha:

ArmorDave's Jap Planes Pak

Wolf's WW2 Planes Pak

Geo's WW2 Ground Object Pak, his Hellcat

Pasko's Wildcat and Val

If you're registered with the DAT, you'll be needing all the IJAAF/IJN, and USN/RAF/etc aircraft from them. And my Mods thereof...(ouch! pulled a muscle)... Oh, and the WW2 ships; DD, DE, CV, Liberty, etc.

LOTS of stuff over at my site, that's not available here.

Widesky, I haven't tested, but it should work. I'm using Polak's old skymod. Nor have I tested the 'hollywood' effects pakages.

Baltiks'a Burma Campaign ... nice stuff!! Also, his Phillipines 1941 (btw, GreenHell works there too)

For more specifics, just ask!

Wrench

kevin stein

Personally, I use SFG patched to v 083006 for my baseline WW2 installs.

I am slowly migrating stuff over to WOE patched to Oct 08, thanks to the work being done by the AvHistory guys on WW2 prop FMs. It is common knowledge that the older WW2 FMs behave rather "oddly" with post Oct 08 patch builds, but gregoryp has come up with this fix which has resolved 99% of my Oct 08 WW2 FM problems:

http://avhistory.org/communityserver/forums/t/694.aspx

Frankly, the improvements in AI behaviour, rendering, parked a/c to strafe, and campaign improvements (known aces, ease of setting frontlines for each campaign, no need to define co-ords for strategic nodes) are just too good to miss out on, IMHO.

So, for your WW2 Pacific build, I say go for WOE Oct 08, add Wrench's WW2 Wep pack (you will need to run it through the newest wep editor to get it to show up right), CA_Stary's WW2 effects pack, then pick and choose your planes etc, checking to see if they need the data ini edit flagged up by gregoryp.

As for terrains, etc, for pacific theatre there is Gepard's Midway terrain, which has a lot of the ships and stuff you will need, plus a few by Edward, including Philippines, New Guinea, Solomons, Okinawa and Darwin. Wrench has a Central Pacific and Pearl Harbor terrain, and has also built terrain upgrades for many of Edward's.

As for campaigns, well, some guy called Baltika has put together a Midway campaign and a Philippines campaign, which I dare say might be worth a look :wink: and one for Burma if you fancy flying for the AVG :yes:

There are also many Midway-specific skins by Wrench both here at CA and at Wrench's toolbox.

I should say also that the AvHistory guys have released beta models with their FMs for testing in the latest TW builds, including a P-51, Zero and Ki-43, so grab them and post your feedback on the AvHistory site.

Tally-ho,

Baltika

Duh :blink:

Should've known Wrench would beat me to the punch on this one :wink:

:biggrin:

For me, I enjoy the PTO much more than ETO/MTO (even though I'm at present rebuilding the North Africa map). Guess it's because my Dad was there, 44-46, PI

wrench

kevin stein

Yup, the PTO certainly has a strong attraction for me, although I'm certainly looking forward to your North Africa rebuild.

That's most timely, as my long, long, overdue North Africa campaign is the current one being worked on.

But, perhaps next up for PTO should be the Battle of Leyte Gulf :biggrin::wink:

Thanks Kevin and Baltika. I was mainly interested in the best base install to start with. I have most of the older stuff downloaded already on my old HDD but its been quite some time since I messed with it. I know you and others have been busy improving things and I wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything.

Rather than shutting down the 'puter, unhooking everything, and hooking up the old HDD, I decided to just download everything. :blink: The new HDD is smokin'. :biggrin: Not too bad though...Eric has got downloads section here at CA SCREAMIN' fast! :good:

Hey wrench, can you show me the links to:

ArmorDave's Jap Planes Pak

Wolf's WW2 Planes Pak

Geo's WW2 Ground Object Pak, his Hellcat

Pasko's Wildcat and Val

I can't seem to find them in combatace, A-team skunkworks or even in your site.

ww2 aircraft category:

the Val and Wildcat are in there someplace, as is Wolfs WW2 Planes Pak and ADs IJ Planes Pak

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?app=downloads&showcat=71

just scroll through

ww2 skins (may also include ini updates as well as skins in several packs):

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?app=downloads&showcat=58

geo's page:

http://geos-aircraft.com/SFmain0.htm

this is also stickied in the PropHeads Forum

http://forum.combatace.com/forum/247-thirdwire-prop-heads/

in the "Mods/Addons Listing"

enjoy!

wrench

kevin stein

I have tried searching through the WWII aircraft section but I can't find the Japanese plane packs, nor the WWII plane packs. I remember the WWII plane packs exist before, but I think it is deleted probably the same for the Japanese plane packs too.

If you do have the plane packs wrench, can you reupload it?

remember, items are classified by WHAT they are (fighers, bombers, skins & ini mods, etc)

axis fighters, ADs Plane pak (since it has 3 fighers and 1 bomber, I guess the fighters take prescdence) on last page

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=744

axis bombers:, pasko's val (also on it's category's last page, axis bombers)

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?app=downloads&showfile=1889

It does appear, however, Wolf Pak has taken a vacation. I think I know what happened ... I'll let the involved party know

wrench

kevin

silly me, I can't believe even though I searched for japanese planes, I actually overlooked them.

either way, thanks for the help wrench, I'm currently trying to get WWII planes on the pacific war.

wow, I'm gonna have to turn in my wings (or at least my prop-head beanie!)

Wolf's pak is on page 3 or 4, right under my Mustang III RAF mod (malcom hood).

i cannot belive that ME of all people, forgot where it was/couldn't find it. I am EMBARASSED!!!

wrench

kevin stein