Sign in to follow this  
SGCSG1

Amazing video of new sim

Best graphics I've ever seen. Would you buy a console to play a sim? It's less than I paid for my last video card.

IL-2 Birds of Prey Video

What do you think? That terrain is amazing and the detail on the planes is the best I've seen.

I honestly doubt it would qualify as a sim. The low altitude shows of terrain look good, but chances are the areas you fly over aren't the same size as you'd find on a PC sim. The large market segment of xbox players don't have much of an attention span. Flying 100km+ to a target would be boring, even if they didn't get lost. Then, if it was a sim, they'd complain about being unable to fly without stalling (il2 stalls are nasty with a full joystick, imagine a thumb stick on a game pad!) Chances are, even with the IL-2 name, it will be similar to ace combat, just world war 2.

I honestly doubt it would qualify as a sim. The low altitude shows of terrain look good, but chances are the areas you fly over aren't the same size as you'd find on a PC sim. The large market segment of xbox players don't have much of an attention span. Flying 100km+ to a target would be boring, even if they didn't get lost. Then, if it was a sim, they'd complain about being unable to fly without stalling (il2 stalls are nasty with a full joystick, imagine a thumb stick on a game pad!) Chances are, even with the IL-2 name, it will be similar to ace combat, just world war 2.

While that was my first impression, a bit of research shows that this is being marketed as a true sim, as opposed to an arcade "flying" game: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/879/879845p1.html

Best graphics I've ever seen. Would you buy a console to play a sim? It's less than I paid for my last video card.

IL-2 Birds of Prey Video

What do you think? That terrain is amazing and the detail on the planes is the best I've seen.

Can you put it on a laptop?

FC

While that was my first impression, a bit of research shows that this is being marketed as a true sim, as opposed to an arcade "flying" game: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/879/879845p1.html

Maybe, but if it is, it will likely be a flop no matter how good it is. I don't see the average xbox player enjoying flying unless they're constantly tossed action and have the whole flight thing eased for them. If it plays like a regular flight sim, they'll get fed up asking where the action is 2 minutes into the air.

Maybe, but if it is, it will likely be a flop no matter how good it is. I don't see the average xbox player enjoying flying unless they're constantly tossed action and have the whole flight thing eased for them. If it plays like a regular flight sim, they'll get fed up asking where the action is 2 minutes into the air.

LOL....how true....and sad.

You know, we're not all like that.

That may be true...but how many people you know with XBoxes are?

FC

Ah but you also fly real flight sims already! :good:

And yes, the majority of xbox players I've met tend to be like that, ever so perfectly fitting into that image.

That may be true...but how many people you know with XBoxes are?

FC

:blush:

That is true.

Man, that game looks badass, I want it!!! LOL

IIRC, the word "realism" was also used in ads of H.A.W.X. :wink:

IL-2 Birds of Prey Video

Great graphics don't make a great sim. I'll bet 1991's Falcon 3.0 has more features and is more realistic.

Great graphics don't make a great sim. I'll bet 1991's Falcon 3.0 has more features and is more realistic.

I'm keeping an open mind. IL-2 is a great sim, it is to WWII as Falcon is to F-16's. This could be a worthwhile product. Hey, it won't kill me to read the reviews, right? :)

Hmm... Just the fact that this is on console, points to an action oriented sim. I'm sticking with my long lasting saying when it comes to consoles; No keyboard, no depth.

Edit: not that there's anything wrong with an action sim. Sometimes they can be the most fun to play because the learning curve is so easy.

Edited by GreyCap

This is just a console port of Il-2 with some graphical updates and I'm sure many other things removed or simplified. I don't doubt it will be the most realistic WWII flying combat on the console, I just don't know how much that will actually be.

There was an interview/article at SimHQ, and it was said that this game would have scalable realism (Arcarde, hard, and sim... or something like that).

I'm not saying it will be a great arcade game or great sim because of that, but at least it shows the developers are asking themselves the same questions we're asking here and trying to find ways to make it appeal to a large enough audience.

I would love to have something flight sim-ish on my Xbox 360, since it can handle much better graphics than my laptop.

I bet it doesn't ;)

This is basically IL-2, flight models, 3D models, everything just ported to console and graphically enhanced ofcourse.

I don't see realism being a problem since even IL-2 (which with all it's shortcomings IMO ranks so high above the competition that I don't see a reason of ever using anything else WW2 related) was incredibly scalable so you could choose either a really hard core simulation or a total arcade shooter playable by keyboard!

Ofcourse I can't know what did the makers of this do with Maddox work, but it sure has one he11 of a legacy...

According to Amazon.com, it will ship sometime around Christmas of this year.