Sign in to follow this  
Syrinx

The plunge - have you taken it ?

Oh rats, in my haste to purge the legacy installs I appear to have deleted a lot of my skinning templates. Will need to go through some back up disks, but I'm sure I have lost quite a few.

I think there's a lesson in there somewhere :blush:

Oh rats, in my haste to purge the legacy installs I appear to have deleted a lot of my skinning templates. Will need to go through some back up disks, but I'm sure I have lost quite a few.

I think there's a lesson in there somewhere :blush:

I've done that to myself more times than I care to remember. Ugh.

Anyone ask TK about putting it back the way it was, it makes installing skins (and moving over from WOX installs) ALOT easier than creating a new folder for each plane/skin in a decals folder and seperating the two.

zmatt, that's what Avhistory is up to :good:

Yeah they are doing a lot of good work over there. There is also a lot of renewed interest here too.

I dumped all but WOI but when SF2:I comes out I will dump it too. SF2 series is vastly superior to the old series in every way, (avionics is the big thing). Those of you who don't get on the band wagon and move to SF2 series will be left behind. I am not making anymore mods for the legacy series.

I was resistant at first, since I had finally gotten my WOV and WOE installs to the point where I didn't need to tweak 'em anymore, but I just backed up WOE, WOV, ODS, LBIII, OTC, Falk.1982, WOI, and WOK to DVD. Like KillerBee, they are for reference only now.

All I have installed now is FE, SF2, and SF2V (OK, and Janes F/A-18, IL-2 1926, F4AF, and EECH). I will add SF2E once NF4+ comes out. Hopefully OTC2 and the Falkland Upgrade will follow too.

Older games have only two real functions:

online multiplayer, YAP, and NATO fighters

I bought all of YAP1 and have what has been released of YAP2, but uninstalled all of it.

I don't have time for multiplayer right now, so all I have left of old games are those that haven't been released in SF2 format (FE and WOI) and NATO fighters.

If YAP2 never gets updated to use SF2, I may never spend much time playing it.

I have no tolerance for 083006 AI and other issues given how well SF2 series is working all patched up.

I am also too lazy/short of time to convert YAP2 material to SF2 standards.

I still want the 3d model for CVAN-65, so I will still be buying YAP releases.

Oh bugger! Don't tell me I've made TWO bad mistakes! I just bought a machine with quad cores but a lower CPU speed and a very good vid card. Then I learned The Thirdwire games need a high CPU speed more than anything. That's mistake one. I also insisted on WinXP 64 bit because I thought the Thirdwire games run best on XP. Is that mistake number two?

EDIT: I haven't bought any of the SF2 versions but totally plan to.

Edited by ShrikeHawk

I am running the SF2 series on a Vista 64 and it runs like a raped ape on my lap top.

ONLY 32 gigs??? shheesh...I have ONE WoE install that's bigger than that!!!

Nope, not taking it fully. 'prolly never will.

I DO like the integration.merge of the various titles; but like mppd, the decals crap in XP bugs the daylights out of me. There's no logical reason WHY the /d subfolder that's worked so well for so long had to be elliminated.

Will/am I buying them? Hell yes!!! No matter what, gotta support TK!!! Even if I don't play them, he deserves the support, so he can make better games for us to enjoy in our Favorite Hobby

wrench

kevin stein

Got and bought the three of them, but can't really get motivated to move on. In between ODS, a main 52 gig install of SFP and NF4 and Wings over Falkland, and now that the WWII models are working better, I am quite happy with legacy installs. B1B and new F-22 work perfectly minus the new RWR (needs a little tweak of avionic to revert to old RWR) RWR so far is all what I find intersting in the new series.

I am a little scared actually by folders of the game sprinkeld all over my computer in Vista fashion. One thing I like of TW series is being self-contained. I know there is a way to do that with SF2 series as well, but I have yet to understand how.

Eventually I will take the plunge, but for now I am not intersted, yet I understand modders moving to new system.

I am curious to know if the old smart weapons AI bug has been fixed, and what are the new options for the campaigns. I will eventually give a try to SF2V to start, since there is the updating pack form my friend malibu43 that will make the transition easier.

Edited by Canadair

Well it will soon get to the point where mods will not be backwards compatible with the old series. The folder structure is easy as pie.

Yep, gotta agree with USAFMTL on this one. The new folder structure makes darn near everything easier (the exception might be decals). No fooling with gun/weapon editors, no fooling with core files, and with the method someone else posted in the KB, you can run ALL your mods with ONE install. That's right, one core directory can run every install you have...each of them self contained. If you have 20 installs, that adds up pretty quickly (considering a normal, stock install will set you back almost 1 GB each).

I don't plan to release anything in the future compatible with legacy installs.

FC

heheheh... I'm still running SFP1 off of a disc that I bought back in 2002, off of the Superstore shelf for @20. Thanks to all these patches and updates, I've kept it current all these years, but I've only ever been able to have one install at a time. Once I get my new computer, I'm gonna get the whole SF2 series, combine an install, and just play it chean with some basic mods (mostly terrain stuff which I could never run before) for the rest of eternity.

My old installs crashed and burned with my drive a month ago... now all I have left is Oct08 WOE, and India-Pakistan (also Oct08 WOE) rest is the new series, not merged, but I'm going to do a 4-titles merged install when SF2:Israel comes out.

Also seeing there's a chance for good reworked prop FMs (AVHistory) I'll do a WW2 install too

Playing WOI only because in my opinion its the best STOCK terrain...and Im endlessly fascinated by that theatre of operations.

Guess its just a matter of time though...

I just got WOI a few days ago. I'm not jumping on no SF2 bandwagon (whatever that means) anytime soon.  :no:

Yep, took the plunge when SF2 came out. I had to install a new mobo at the time which made it even easier, so completely redid the hard drive. The older games were always ticking me off with little niggling problems. So as long as SF2 ran well on XP, I figured why not change? It has run excellent, as USAFMTL said, "like a raped ape" :rapage: , lol, even on my 32 bit OS. So despite the collection I have of older SF addons, etc., the older game hasnt went back on the HDD. Ive got one install of SF2 with the jets and now Im waiting for First Eagles 2 now while I fiddle with my second WW2 Pacific install of SF2. Cool frikken game... :clapping::good:

I deleted my heavily modded WoV from my laptop last night. I got my SF2V install how I want it (for now) and it was time to push on. And SF2 runs well on my 1.6Ghz w/onboard 32Mb video card laptop with medium settings. Can't wait to get home and try it on my real gaming rig.

The next move is to uninstall WoE as I'm nearly done modding my SF2E install. Maybe tonight.

ONLY 32 gigs??? shheesh...I have ONE WoE install that's bigger than that!!!

"Loading times are just as long, if not longer -I can sloooowwwly smoke a whole cigerate waiting for a mission to start, frame rates are LOWER than 08 WoE/WoI (like when I would be getting mid-20s, is now BELOW the teens, and sometimes less than 10). Mind you, I am running full max on everything, so I'm sure I could gain a bit by dailing back from "unlimited".

wrench

kevin stein

I am glad its not only me thats suffering long loading times, although I don't smoke I can go off make a cup of tea and a sandwich and still be back in time to take to the skies, its always that last 20% of loading that takes time, I think thats when the avionics are loading!

Lazboy

The avionics load at 90% and take a second. 80% are planes, I think.

Nope.... totaly happy with the massively modded 08 and 06 patched installs I have put together, I get little time to fly as it is and have finally gotten

the old game running / looking awesome.

No longer got any WoX installs on my system, only SF2/V/E.... just installed the V enhancement pack BETA.... lovin it big style :lol:

No, I'm sticking with WOE 08. I've spent too much time adding mods and tweaking it to start over now. I just can't justify buying something i already have.

I've done my part to support TK, I own WOV,WOE,WOI and FE and the Expansion pack and when he releases another original sim i'll buy it, but just to buy a game because its made for Vista and has a few minor things like updated cockpits and damage models just does not make sense when money is tight and my versions already run on Vista.

Like i said, when TK releases a new original Title i'll be happy to buy it but until then I'm happy with what i have.

(...) and has a few minor things like updated cockpits (...)

/warning: fanboy mode ON

that alone are worth the money!

/fanboy mode OFF

But I understand your point of view, I was slightly disappointed when SF2 was released, mainly because of the "old" terrain (WOI has shown how great default terrain can look!), but then came the patch and SF2V, I simply could not resist :smile:

Love the SF2:Europe :biggrin: ,also I hope FE2 with the advanced shaders enabled will run super-smooth on my not-so-fancy system

Crikey - quite a few responses to my original question.

So far some pro's and con's. I think I might wait a little while longer before taking the plunge.

At the moment all my WOX installs are working fine and if it ain't bust, don't fix it :)

Thanks guys.

Too broke to make the move (unemployed IT guy). Stuck with SFP1 08 patch for now. :sad: