Sign in to follow this  
Gesenius

Add-on Compatibility

As I am new to the SF series, I was wondering if the SF add-ons--aircraft,scenery,weapons,etc--work on the SF2 series or are the SF1 and SF2 two separate series?

Thanks,

Don

Hello!

Until now, I've quite often seen that for converting SF2-only addon planes to fly them in SFP1, I shall go to the knowledge base or I read statements like "Goto the CombatAce.com forums for instructions if you plan to make the T-38A backward compatable". I've tried some searches using e.g. "+SF2 +convert +SFP1" as search phrase, getting only results for ways to convert first generation to 2nd generation. Neither in the SFP1 nor in the SF2 KB are hints for executing this researched backward conversion, AFAIK. :dntknw:

So here I am. Is there a thread somewhere explaining how to convert a SF2 mod to first generation standard that I missed in my search? Or have I to go to each support thread of each mod that I want to convert?

Greets, :-)

Uhu

Hello!

Until now, I've quite often seen that for converting SF2-only addon planes to fly them in SFP1, I shall go to the knowledge base or I read statements like "Goto the CombatAce.com forums for instructions if you plan to make the T-38A backward compatable". I've tried some searches using e.g. "+SF2 +convert +SFP1" as search phrase, getting only results for ways to convert first generation to 2nd generation. Neither in the SFP1 nor in the SF2 KB are hints for executing this researched backward conversion, AFAIK. :dntknw:

So here I am. Is there a thread somewhere explaining how to convert a SF2 mod to first generation standard that I missed in my search? Or have I to go to each support thread of each mod that I want to convert?

Uhu

Like MigBuster said, a comprehensive list of what needs to be done hasn't been created yet. I think a lot of folks are still trying to figure it out for themselves right now, so no one has taken time to set up a "tutorial". Plus, it's going to be different for all different aircraft, so there won't be a list of changes to make that are applicable to all aircraft. There will probably be a general guide of things to look for, but the one doing the conversion will probably have to be pretty experienced under the hood of the TW series and do a few things differently depending on what changes are being made.

I'd say at this point you have two options:

1. Sit tight and wait a month or two until all the experienced modders have had their way with the new series. Maybe a list or checklist will show up then.

2. Start digging into aircraft on your own and read all the information you can from the KB and other forums, and see if you can figure it out.

Edited by malibu43

2. Start digging into aircraft on your own and read all the information you can from the KB and other forums, and see if you can figure it out.

That's the option to take!

I've tried some searches using e.g. "+SF2 +convert +SFP1" as search phrase, getting only results for ways to convert first generation to 2nd generation. Neither in the SFP1 nor in the SF2 KB are hints for executing this researched backward conversion, AFAIK. :dntknw:

Uhu

Well that is the best question asked here in a long time... No there is no thread on how to convert SF2 models to first generation standards, and it would be in everyone's best interest if we

put together a sticky thread in the knowledge base that listed what needs to be addressed to convert a SF2 model to the old standard. I am sure this would be pretty simple, straight forward and would prevent a lot of the same questions being asked of the modders.

Well that is the best question asked here in a long time... No there is no thread on how to convert SF2 models to first generation standards, and it would be in everyone's best interest if we

put together a sticky thread in the knowledge base that listed what needs to be addressed to convert a SF2 model to the old standard. I am sure this would be pretty simple, straight forward and would prevent a lot of the same questions being asked of the modders.

There is no way to convert default SF2x models to SF1x standards, so there's obviously no need for a thread on the subject. SF2 model .lods are in unicode, which is incompatible with the original titles.