Jagdgeschwader 1 . 18.3.1918 11.15 h AM

at the road to Molain-Vaux Andigny,

600 m southwest Molain

Sopwith - Camel-1 Englander

Aircraft number: B 5243

Engine: Clerget 35751

Fok. Dr. 1; red upper wing, red cowling, red wheels and red tail

1 Canadian captured

I started with 30 fighter craft of my squadron and flew tight, leading all 3 Staffeln,

at an altitude of 5300 m against the enemy. When we approached the front, I saw

several english squadrons, that just crossed our lines, ca. direction Le Chateau.

The first squadron, that I met, was about an altitude of 5500 m. I shot down (together)

with Lt. Gussmann, Jasta 11, the last opponent, a Bristol-fighter. It lost the wings and

Lt. Gussmann brought him to crash.

Thereafter I assembled my 30 aircraft, climbed to 5300 m and followed two squadrons

that had broken through up to Le Chateau. When the opponent made the attempt to turn

off and return to the front, I attacked.

The aircraft flying next to me, possibly a Breguet or Bristol fighter, was shot by me and

Lt. Loewenhardt, Jasta 10, whereafter the opponent's petrol tank was shot up and I saw,

how the aircraft went down vertically. Lt. Loewenhardt brought it down to crash.

Of two english fighter squadrons, I attacked one craft with streamers/burgees on and forced

the opponent to land near Molain.

Witnesses of air combat: see attachment

Frh. v Richthofen

Rittmeister und Geschwaderkommandeur

[Richthofen seems to describe his own craft too, for eye witnesses confirmation I think.

So here is a description of the clouring of his Dr.1 by the man himself]

Edited by Olham

What can be said but fantastic to all this historic info. Really great and reminds me of so many claims that we OFFers have written.

(66. victory)

Jagdgeschwader 1 . 18.3.1918 11.15 h AM

[Richthofen seems to describe his own craft too, for eye witnesses confirmation I think.

So here is a description of the clouring of his Dr.1 by the man himself]

WOW! This is great Ohlam... looks like I really stumbled on to Davey Jones's Locker here!! :good:

Looks like he says:

rote oberen Tragdeck? = red over/upper wing? (tragdeck? could be I can't spell it right, or it's a dilect of 'wing'.)

rote Haube = which is red hood or bonnet? Could be cowling maybe?

rote Laufräder = which is red wheels, or something spinning?

rote schwans(z) = red tail

Sweet! This is a great find! I want to print it and hang it on my wall near my desk!

OvS

OvS - read my translation, old chap - it's all in there!

His 66. victory was Lt. W. G. Ivamy, 54 squadron, POW (Sopwith Camel);

strange he doesn't name the aircraft type. Perhaps, cause he didn't shoot it down?

Edited by Olham

strange he doesn't name the aircraft type. Perhaps, cause he didn't shoot it down?

Ah! Sorry, I was thrilled to read the account, and test my German... which has gotten much worse over the years!

OvS

He did not list the aircraft type and yet he got a confirmation. Sometimes it's who you know/are I guess.

WOW! That is very cool Olham. Thanks for posting this Sir. I have saved a copy of it to my own files. :ok:

Cheers!

Lou

Hey, looks like one of my claims in OFF, or very close to it. I guess I'm on to something with those high approval ratings. :yes:

Great find! :good:

Edit: At the bottom of the scan they mention that document is a facsimile from the Geschwader's war diary. I'd sure like to read those war diaries!

Edited by Hasse Wind

Mr. Lucky: He lists a Camel right at the beginning and the location.

Right, Lucky - even I didn't read my own stuff properly... :blush2:

Brilliant!...So glad we have real-Life German's on the forum!....I couldn't understand a bloody word of it!..hahaha...thanks for Translating Olham old Chap!