Sign in to follow this  
SayethWhaaaa

Bernie Madoff gets 150 years...

Couldn't of happened to a nicer guy.

in his case it should be called "protective custody"

And Frank and Dodd remain free. Sad.

in his case it should be called "protective custody"

:rofl:

Good! I hope Bubba does a really good job of "protecting" him.

:rofl:

Good! I hope Bubba does a really good job of "protecting" him.

Depends on the use of profilactics in prison. Some people like them old

He needs to spend some time in "federal, pound me in the ass, prison!"

150 years...lol....does that mean that they'll keep him on lifesupport?

150 years...lol....does that mean that they'll keep him on lifesupport?

They hang his skeleton from shackles on the wall.

Maybe they should feed him to the Sarlacc. :wink:

"In its belly, you will learn a new definition of pain and suffering as you are slowly digested over 1000 years..."

AP news release, June 30 2159. "Bernie Madoff, architect of one of the biggest Ponzi schemes in history has finally been released today after and unprecedented 150 year jail term and countless games of "Drop the soap". When asked by the AP about his plans, Madoff said he had no comment other than he's looking forward to spending some time with his recently released life partner, Bubba the third, out of the public eye and joked he "May need to borrow some money."

In other news, a cadet from Starfleet Academy has achieved the unachievable by becoming the first graduate to receive his own command after breaking several academy records including fastest completion of the Starfleet syllibus and a record score in the academy's "Kobyashi Maru" exam...

I think that this is the true definition of cruel and unusual punishment. I believe he should have received jail time for his crimes, but 150 years? In the first place I hate it when they give out sentences that are longer than a human life span. They should be honest and say "you are sentenced to prison for the rest of your life." In the second place the nature of the crime does not warrant such an extreme sentence.

Please consider this: Donte Stallworth, the Cleveland Browns wide receiver, got 24 days for vehicular homicide while driving intoxicated.

WHAT?!?!..no hanging?? now he is going to live on taxpayer´s money in prison? /(&(/%&(/"/(!!!

Prowler

I think that this is the true definition of cruel and unusual punishment. I believe he should have received jail time for his crimes, but 150 years? In the first place I hate it when they give out sentences that are longer than a human life span. They should be honest and say "you are sentenced to prison for the rest of your life." In the second place the nature of the crime does not warrant such an extreme sentence.

Please consider this: Donte Stallworth, the Cleveland Browns wide receiver, got 24 days for vehicular homicide while driving intoxicated.

Well, the question becomes:

"Does harming a life financially come close to harming a life physically?" or

"Does intent factor into punishment?" or

"Does the number of people harmed influence the severity of the punishment?"

Consider - Mr. Stallworth didn't intend to kill or harm anyone...but he did. But Mr. Madoff systematically and deliberately destroyed the savings of dozens for his own personal gain but didn't actually kill anyone. Which is the more vicious crime?

Personally, I think he shouldn't be in jail. Instead, all his assets should be stripped to repay the people he lost money to. He then should be forced to work as a minimum wage worker for the rest of his life, with any earnings outside of basic needs to be paid into an account to continue to repay those he wronged. As icing on the cake, it should be a job that is deliberately nasty and foul...maybe searching through landfills for recyclables...in a New Jersey summer.

FC

Well, as I said, I think he should have received jail time. But a 150-year sentence for a non-violent crime to me is just another sign of how far out of control our judicial system is.

I think the extravagant sentence is because of parole laws. By making it so long that dictates the minimum amount of time he must serve before he can possibly get released for "good behavior"...because let's face it, it's hard to commit financial crimes in prison.

Of course, the Daily Show had a hilarious bit on a new Ponzi scheme Madoff was going to setup in prison...

And yet our "friends" in D.C. are doing basically the same thing and getting off scott-free?

:suicide:

Yeah I think what JM said is right. By giving him 150 years he wont get a chance for parole during his life time. With life he can.

Yeah I think what JM said is right. By giving him 150 years he wont get a chance for parole during his life time. With life he can.

Why shouldn't he get parole during his lifetime?

Why shouldn't he get parole during his lifetime?

I am not sure honestly. I think its each states rules. Like one will have life without parole. Another will be life but you can get paroled. I think in this case and I could be wrong here. The rule for that state might of been if he gets life he can be paroled. With the 150 year ruling he wont be able to get then. But just a guess here.

I am not sure honestly. I think its each states rules. Like one will have life without parole. Another will be life but you can get paroled. I think in this case and I could be wrong here. The rule for that state might of been if he gets life he can be paroled. With the 150 year ruling he wont be able to get then. But just a guess here.

Well that's just it...the judge threw the book at him...maximum possible sentence. I'm sick to death of people taking pleasure in this sort of thing while murderers, killers and rapists get off easy.

Well that's just it...the judge threw the book at him...maximum possible sentence. I'm sick to death of people taking pleasure in this sort of thing while murderers, killers and rapists get off easy.

While I am not gonig to shed a tear for him. I would think that this sentence would be for someone like a rapist or a killer. It is very backwards. I mean yeah he took money, but taking someone one's life is worse. Yes those people lives are changed forever because of the money they lost but at least they are alive.

Well that's our system, money is more important than people.