Sign in to follow this  
MadJeff

Flight Simmers = Terrorists

Just stumbled over this story of at the Reg this morning.

A mother's enquiry about buying Microsoft Flight Simulator for her ten-year-old son prompted a night-time visit to her home from a state trooper.

Julie Olearcek, a USAF Reserve pilot made the enquiry at a Staples store in Massachusetts, home to an earlier bout of hysteria, during the Salem witch trials.

So alarmed was the Staples clerk at the prospect of the ten year old learning to fly, that he informed the police, the Greenfield Recorder reports. The authorities moved into action, leaving nothing to chance. A few days later, Olearcek was alarmed to discover a state trooper flashing a torch into to her home through a sliding glass door at 8:30 pm on a rainy night.

Olearcek is a regular Staples customer and schools her son at home. The Staples manager simply explained that staff were obeying advice. Shortly before Christmas, the FBI issued a terror alert to beware of drivers with maps, or reference books.

At one time it was rare to find US citizens, in the safest and most prosperous country in the world, jumping at their own shadows. Now we only note how high.

Link to the Reg Story

This is outrageous IMHO. Have we really got to this point? If so, the terrorists have won... <_<

I know I might stick my hand in a hornets nest here but i agree with you totally MadJEff.

It illustrates IMO perfectly that when you combat an evil you risk becomming more like him than you would want. There is more than one dillemma when fighting what we see as attacks on as our way of life. It would surely be a pity if we destroy what we hold most precious in an attempt to preserve it

Maybe now Homeland Security will jump on Bill Gates for providing terrorist

training material.

I feel the same way. The question is, why is this happening despite the fact that so many of us do NOT support such policies?

"The price of liberty is eternal vigilance."

Sorry I cant comment on this without getting really really pissy, so.... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

YOU VOTED HIM IN, ITS YOUR OWN DAMN FAULT, AND IF YOU VOTED FOR GORE, BOO HOO! TRY AGAIN THIS ELECTION B) .

Oh my God!! Based on the logic of the staples clerk, my landings in FS9 quallify me as a Kamakaze. :P

Yep, I voted him in, and will attempt to do it again. That's as far into any political discussion as I will get though.

\

Me too firehawkordy, can't fly for squat but I do enjoy doing it.

Edited by Chaingun

This is outrageous IMHO. Have we really got to this point? If so, the terrorists have won...  <_<

Seems to be a political thread to me <_<

Just bothers me to see people complain, but not wanna do anything to fix the problem.

This story has to do with law, and law is politics. We have an administration enforcing laws that infringe upon basic/common sense rights; like being able to buy a flight sim or a map, because we enjoy simming, or because we need to find our way around.

If one doesnt like the laws, then remove the person who is pushing those laws. If one cannot understand that, then one has no right to complain, because essentially that one does not have a problem with those laws, and as long as people sit back and take it, the oppression and outrageous conduct will only get worse.

I agree with Snapple that it is a political thread.

But i think its interesting to know what thoughts people have on this subject as long as it is kept in a cvil tone.

But i also disagree with you Snapple: I think you do have the right to complain if you see something you disagree with. Even if it comes from someone who you yourself voted for in the first place. You don't sanction all future acts from a person with one vote. Complaining as you call it creates debate. This is one of the fundamental elements of a democracy and with a bit of luck it can be both constructive and informing.

I hope that this is what we will see here

Hey, I have an idea,

1. Hire Johnny Cochran to sue M$

2. ????

3. PROFIT!

Edited by zagnut

ok...my 2 cents worth.

I like the majority voted for our President,but This great land with it's promise of freedom gives me the right to complain.Do I believe the clerk went to far...oh yeah,did they follow their policy to the letter...again yes,BUT they in all their intellectual glory failed to use common sense.It is sad when a parent trying to get their child something for Christmas gets raked over the coals for it,for that matter She should be glad she wasn't trying to buy Operation Flashpoint,or Ghost Recon..OMG almost terrorist training tapes :D

All this is..again IMO,is a case of over reaction and lack of common sense.from the store clerk to the troopers something was missing...yes everyone failed to impliment their origional issue M1 Brain matter.

This is kinda like a student buying a chemisty book and getting detained because they could learn to make nerve agents.

The finger of blame is being pointed at the wrong place..it's not the White House,The President..or even a brain dead store clerk, it belongs on the terror network that we're currently fighting in places all over the world.

I'm gonna stop now, because I'm just gonna get shot down for being an "ignorant kid", too bad I'm not 10 years older, then I could just be another "asshole that wants Bush out".

I'm gonna stick to something I posted a while back.

"Arguing on the internet is like competing in the special olympics... even if you win you're still retarded"

As I said, this thread is starting to degenerate into a political discussion. You all know what happens @ SimHQ.

Good thing this site is more mature than SimHQ than :D

What MJ said is right, as is what dagger said. A lack of common sense mixed with hyperactive fears creates situations like this. I mean, heck, I've been flying sims for at least 8 years, I was 9 yo then. FS95. I started flying lessons when I was 14. WOO!!! scary! not.

On the political side, this will be my first election I'll be able to vote in. Being a conservative, you know who I'll vote for...

As I said, this thread is starting to degenerate into a political discussion. You all know what happens @ SimHQ.

:D I lurk at SimHQ, they get toooo fidgety over there. So far I've seen some pretty decent disagreements / discusssions over here and they seem to stay quite civil. So I post here....

Couldn't agree more Dag, The world needs some more of that M1 Brain Matter. (and lots of it).....

:D

Couldn't agree more Dag, The world needs some more of that M1 Brain Matter. (and lots of it)...

You know, I'm not so sure that it does. I mean, yes, some is needed, deffinatly. I think this kind of stupid stuff is rather hyped up by the media though. If you look at the gun discussion we had a few weeks ago, you'll notice the same thing. People overreact, the media picks up on it and decides this is what everyone wants to hear about. While its sad that this kind of stuff happens, I'd hardly call it nationally newsworthy.

I don't think that the issue is really about who is in The White House. I think it is primarily an issue with the legislative branch of the federal government and secondarily an issue with the judicial branch.

I feel that both Republican and Democrat members of Congress have let the country down through both commission and omission. They are not taking care of the people's business. They have the power to make law and to control the purse strings but have not used that power to see to it that The Constitution is upheld and preserved. I think we need improvement in Congress first and foremost.

Hey, I have an idea,

1. Hire Johnny Cochran to sue M$

2. ????

3. PROFIT!

Hey, a fellow SlashDot reader! :D

I don't think that the issue is really about who is in The White House. I think it is primarily an issue with the legislative branch of the federal government and secondarily an issue with the judicial branch.

I feel that both Republican and Democrat members of Congress have let the country down through both commission and omission. They are not taking care of the people's business. They have the power to make law and to control the purse strings but have not used that power to see to it that The Constitution is upheld and preserved. I think we need improvement in Congress first and foremost.

I couldn't have said it better myself, a very well-thought-out reply. This whole thing is not really a statement on politics, but a statement on using common sense and to take a minute to think for yourself. We've gotten so hysterical about things that we are turning into a nation of "little brothers", everyone poking into others business and assuming the worst of everyone. It's just an issue of thinking for yourself and taking responsibility for one's own actions, two subjects I am rather touchy about. B)

Also as a side note, this is what I love about you guys that is hard to find on other sites, the ability to discuss things in a mature manner. We don't all agree on things (and it would be damn boring if we did...) but we can respect each other's opinion. Makes me proud to be a part of this community. ;)