Sign in to follow this  
Wrench

North Africa (Western Desert) ver.2

North Africa (Western Desert) ver.2

North Africa Terrain Upgrade For SF/WoV/WoE WW2 MTO mods

This started out as a simple targets upgrade, and turned into a major rework of Edward's "North Africa" or Western Desert Terrain for WW2. As you can expect, the targets have been greatly 'enhanced', with some additions, some areas have been retiled for ease of targetization. The visuals (ie: the eye candy) has been enhanced by these revamped target areas. This will allow single mission and campain builders more latitude in their creation of missions and campaigns. It also has the side effect of enhancing in-game generated single mission play, too!

This is a COMPLETE terrain, designed to REPLACE the original verison in it's entirety. All necessary parts are included; tiles, inis, LOTS of new terrain items, with the excpetion for some 'permission-only' GroundObject items. 2 re-done planning maps (1 & 2) are also included. Also, there are at LEAST 3 Easter Eggs on the map.

There ARE some historical flaws (and probably physical geographic ones as well!!), which as most of you know gauls the daylights out of me; they are fully detailed in the "Notes & Explinations" section below.

The data ini has been upgraded to the semi-latest standards (ie: 2006 patch level). Water effects are active, so Vista users beware...more information for you is below in the Install Instructions. See "Notes for Vista Users". NOTE: this is NOT designed for the post-08 patch or SF2 "NextGen" series. The terrain's data ini does NOT have the new Height Data included!!! (however, that is easily added if you're familiar with the varous terrain data inis, and how to 'update' them).

= MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE WW2 WEAPONS PAK !! =

= MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE LATEST, WW2 NATIONS INI IN YOUR FLIGHT FOLDER =

= MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE LATEST WW2 FORMATIONS INI IN YOUR FLIGHT FOLDER =

= MAKE SURE YOU HAVE GEO'S WW2 GROUND OBJECTS PAKS!! MOST IMPORTANT!!! =

It has been tested in SF, WoV and WoE, using their cats pointed to in the main ini. As most of the new objects will be residing directly in the terrain folder, you should have no problems. (see the CombatAce Knowledge Base for the tutorial on using the cat pointer line). It has NOT, however, been tested in post 08 SF/WoV/WoE/WoI or any of the SF2 'NextGen' series; it is NOT designed for useage in those type of game installs. If you choose to do so, expect NO support from me -- you're on your own. Although, it should work pretty well, in any case. Some data ini adjustments will probably be required for the additional effects.

As always, it's reccomended you unzip this to a temp folder somewhere's thats easy to find. This will give you access to the rest of the readme for full, detailed install instructions and the Usual Notes and Other Ramblings...

Follow these instructions herein =EXACTLY= and you should have no problems. It's HIGHLY reccomended you read this document completly through before installing this mod.

Happy Landings!!

Wrench

kevin stein

Thank you :biggrin::good:

(Although I think you knocked release date for North Africa campaign back a bit while I get to grips with your new version of the terrain - I believe it's called "playtesting" :wink: )

:biggrin:

Other than the targets on Crete and Greece (and the addition of Port Said, Ismalia and Suez), the target area locations aren't really aren't too different. Well, the addition of a supply base at Benghazi, another at Alex, and 2 behind-the-lines army camps (one a Cairo, the other Behghazi) that is. There's also a 'defensive line' west of El Alemain

and a major easter egg near what i think might be the Qutarra Depression; southwest of El Alemain

wrench

kevin stein