Sign in to follow this  
AirBiskit

Question - Does Stt Give Higher Pk To Amraam Shots

There's some talk of STT locks able to give better track quality information for the AMRAAM to use.

So, I figured I'd ask Mr Mudd - the best open source available!

:)

Would like to hear you hold forth on this subject, sir.

:)

i would love to answer that but i would only embarrass myself

From experiance I have with sims over the years I'd have to say that no it won't.

Due to the way the slammer is guided (Datalink/Inertial) I wouldn't have thought STT would help any. Also if you consider an STT lock would alert your target to your presence, you'd be better just using TWS, IMHO.

I could be wrong as I'm no expert, but from what I've seen and read I think this is the case.

I anyone knows different please correct me.

Eddie

Actually, STT is a direct and continuous LOCKED track feed, and can update the AMRAAM's datalink continuously until it goes active; where as TWS is only a partial and intermittent 'track' while scanning, which merely PREDICTS where the radar beam should look next time it wants to update where the tracked target now is.

i.e. TWS can have large positional errors against a fast manoeuvring opponent and has to scan again to re-acquire the target that was not near to where it was predicted to be.

This means that the direct continuous STT radio datalink feed to the AMRAAM will be of much higher quality, very precise, more reliable and current, than compared to the intermittent data feed from a predictive TWS radar track "lock". TWS is really a system which guesses where the opponent is and then checks to see if it was right, and thereby periodically updates the opponent’s location to the missile.

So an STT locked mode AMRAAM launch will be more reliable and precise in BVR combat than a TWS ‘locked’ mode AMRAAM launch.