Sign in to follow this  
navychief

Help! Received Runtime Error. Need Fixed!

Thanks Cretin for the information.

I am running Norton again, but it didn't find anything on the first pass.

Navy Chief

This ship will not be surrendered.

The second link I listed contains solutions that do not require Norton. In addition, it is a forum dedicated to these types of problems. You can post there and get additional help, suggestions, problem solving.

Use the net as your toolbox. Everything you need is out there. Search til your fingers are bloody.

"I have not yet begun to fight!"

Hey Chief, looks like you got a do zee there.

You might try this Bazooka.

Don't know, it might help.

I am running Norton again, but it didn't find anything on the first pass.

Even after updating your list of virus definitions using LiveUpdate? Woah, that's strange.... why would Norton suggest it then in the Solutions section of the doc?

Quite an involved removal process, including the windows registry edit. Keep us posted on your progress and be as detailed as you can with what has been done so that our assistance will be more accurate.

Hang in there...

Norton is listing it as "Adware", Slick Wili. In the forums, others are referring to it as a virus. It must be new as otherwise there would be a host of quick fixes out there.

Editing the registry isn't a big deal as long as you have good instructions and follow them. I'll continue to research to see what else comes up. Others have it too, so most certainly there will be a silver bullet soon.

Anyone else who wants to jump on the case, climb aboard. We WILL turn this ship around for one man overboard.

Thank you all for all your suggestions. I have not been able to work on this more today, as I've been busy with other matters.

I hope to continue working on fixing this tomorrow, though. I will keep you all updated on my progress.

Thanks.

NavyChief

Chief have you tried to start up in "safe mode"yet?if not try that...then you can find the little bugger...and even edit your reg. and delete the prolem..or change your start up.

Hey Dagger

Haven't tried the "Safe" mode yet. Like I said, I know enough about computers to get myself in worse trouble than I already am!

Unless I have someone to guide me as I attempt what you suggest, I can just about count on smoke coming from my computer!!!

NC

Chief if you're using XP then when you get the windows start up screen,watch it and it will tell you to hit F8 to get to safe mode...start it up in safe mode only..there's a couple different mode but just use the safe mode(without anything else running).this starts up system with the bare min. it needs..from there you can see if you can get into all your drives and programs files.

Hey Dagger

I know how to get into Safe Mode, but no clue as to what to do as far as registry mods, or anything else. Like I said, if it can be screwed up, I can do it!

NC

Might want to have another look at those links I posted earlier in the thread, Navy Chief. It's all in there. :D

I know that it can be scarey pushing beyond what you have ever done before as regards messing with your puter. Also, all of us know what trauma it is to be without a functioning puter and none of us really want to risk that.

I suppose that in the final analysis it's either go for it or take it to the computer doctor. You are the Captain of the ship. It's your call, take a risk or spend some $. Not great choices, eh? ;)

Chief,don't try to change anything at first..just see if you can access all your files and programs.if you can then the problem is a program based hic-up and you can fix this by running MS config and shutting it down at start up...this is easy way to find out.

start>run>msconfig>start up tab>leave only the bare basics running uncheck the boxes next to the ones you don't want to use at start up..I just leave zone alarm and anti virus on(oh yeah...and Folding).once you leave this on then click apply and restart.easy as eating pancakes.

Kewl, Dagger. If you can do a walk through, Navy Chief will be in fat city in no time. ;)

I have the same problem, but it was after trying to make my Hosts file read-only. Find your hosts file (C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc in XP; C:\WinNT\System32\Drivers\Etc in Win2K, and in C:\Windows for Windows 98), right-click the file, and uncheck Read-Only and click OK. Restart and you should be in business.

Try a program called HiJackThis

Hijackthis

that might give you some information

Jumpin in before I read the whole thread. Apologies.....

SALUTE

Edited by Chaingun