Sign in to follow this  
SGCSG1

What anti-virus do you use?

AVG free version. Been using it for years. MacAfee and Symantec act as bad as viruses as they are so system invasive they bog any OS down just short of crippling it. Have never had that problem with AVG, even while it's scanning.

NOD32 here. It catches everything and I've subscribed to all the major manufacturers of AV in the past. I'll keep my NOD.

I did use Norton until about two years ago and switched to AVG (payware - on all four PC's in our house). No problems with Norton except it slowed the computer down too much. AVG is much better in that respect.

AVG free version. Been using it for years.

That's right, I've been using AVG Free for years as well (current version: 8.5 - anti-virus+anti-spyware) and in spite of a few attempts, never have I lost a file to viruses, worms, trojans or any kind of nasties that wander the net. Like gwar, the only re-installs were the bi-yearly ones. Unlike gwar, I think surfing the net without protection is like... you know... :grin: without protection... (there might be kids reading this after all...)

Anyway, this week I buffed up my defenses by installing Malwarebytes (also the free version), an anti-malware software supposedly capable of working together with other anti-malware software. Since it's the free version, there's no real time protection but it's the thorough and powerful file scan I'm really after.

But in the end the lesson is always the same:

- Have a firewall, an anti-virus and an anti-spyware installed and always updated. Do they eat up resources? Sure! But the benefits always out weigh the slow speed. And while playing just shut them down if the game is sluggish or FPS take a bad hit.

- Don't install two anti-viruses or two anti-spywares. Two may seem better than one but not in this case. The real time protection on both programs will conflict, rendering the programs less efective, maybe even useless.

- After downloading any .exe or .zip files do right-click on them and scan them with the anti-virus and the anti-spyware before anything else. Doesn't take that long and has saved my butt on a few occasions. Do the same if someone lends or gives you data stored in CD, DVDs, pen drives, etc.

- Exercise caution when clicking on links in the emails you receive and never enter personal data unless you really trust the site. Beware of phishing scams!

- Always look for "https" and a padlock simbol in your browser when entering data in bank sites or while shopping online. That means the site is safe and not a fake made by hackers in order to steal your personal information.

- And ALWAYS backup your data. That's the main rule! No matter how good your protection software is, there's always someone somewhere cooking a new electronic threat that's ready to destroy or steal your data.

Some of you may think I'm being too preachy but the fact is, there are so many people out there who don't know these simple rules and many more who do know, but manage to forget them until one day...:frantic::doh:

Edited by CarlosemoG

I work in the systems dept, where i work and i've tested most antivirus programs. The best for absolute protection is Gdata antivirus. It uses two different engines at the same time, and will pick up over 99% of virus infections. But it is very resource heavy.

The best for a gaming system is probably NOD 32, its very light weight and makes a minimal difference to the systems performance.

General purpose antivirus, AVG, AVIRA, AVAST are all reasonable, though AVG isnt as good as it used to me. Kaspersky is ok but it has issues with some adware/spyware programs.

Guest Eject

Friend, I have been using A-square fom Germany, UPDATE every day on-line, FREE version n it is great v. most malicious viruses. Go to the website in English. Try search a-square. Alas, I am not a rich man so I cannot buy the Online version which I believe far greater. There is even a FREE version that we can use in our USBs........protecting it v viruses. There is another MADE IN Indonesia, I shall get beck here later since I forgot the name. For sure, it is one anti viruses that send even the recen CONFICKER RTB! Yet, I do not use it anymoe, just let it sits on my desktop ust in case.....It is from the Indonesian version PC mag or the other prominent LOCAL PC mag. Primise, I shall be back with the NAME of it. Thank u n have a nice weelend to all members, staff and/or admin. Bless u all folks.........Remember: A-square pr try other spelling for I may mispell it. You cannot miss it friend, and good luck.

Sorry a bit late. One of my jets was grounded for repaint, the Egyptian Su-27 Flanker (Not the tandem Su-30K?). Managed only to attach the twin vertical Tails with the Hi-Res F-4e EAF. The fuselage and both wings and white nose from the orig. Flanker.

ATTACHED here is the PC Media Anti Virus by the mag team. PC Media AV Exxpress Claner for CONFICKER. It sent the Conficker "goes down and burning!" Gone forever......Give it a try friend and regard to all. Thank you admin.

I have been usinf avg for 8 years now and not problem ever.

I use it on all the pc's i build.again not problems

before that itried norton

I was given 2004 internet security

what a complete dog

i redid my o/s 4 times in 2 weeks

plus reinstalling all my software 30 hours + each time

there are cetrain parts of a bulls lower anatomy that nortan can lick as far as I am concerned but that is my humble opinon.

peace love and have a nice day