B. Mig-25

C. Mig-29

D. Su-27

4. Blue in late 70's and early 80's

A. F-14

B. F-15

C. F-16

D. Harrier

Do you know why most people gets mad at F-15 and Su-27? because that´s what "air superiority" means

1. Mig-17 Maneuverable and a a small target, and once they swarm you you are pretty much done for unless you can speed away, and sometimes that doesn't work especially with the 17F

2. F-4 "Missile Launch!" "He's Firing a Missile" "Missile Inbound!" Need I say more?

3. Su-27 Pretty close to the Mig-29 for me, though I find the Su-27 on my tail more often than the 29

4. F-15 See F-4

No variants? Fishbed-C is harmless unless you ram it, while Fishbed-L can make a few extra holes even in Eagle on a good day...

No variants? Fishbed-C is harmless unless you ram it, while Fishbed-L can make a few extra holes even in Eagle on a good day...

Mig-17pf

Mig-19S

Mig-21MF

F-4E

Not sure why, but I find the MiG-17F to be a lot more intimidating than the MiG-17PF.

Not sure why, but I find the MiG-17F to be a lot more intimidating than the MiG-17PF.

Maybe different FM for each variant.

You can easily change the variant in my head on mission, using a simple text editor.

You can also confront Mig-17F vs Mig-17PF, in order to test your observation.

Weight added by the radar (200kg) could be the reason :wink: Also 37mm cannon was switched for 23mm,

I find the SAM-6 more intimidating as I find the mig 17 a fairly easy kill but I do fight it at the strengths of my jet dogfighting them in a Phantom is easy you lose site you engage burner jink dive and run away then turn and re-engage and take it into a vertical fight if I am saving my Sparrows and winders for others... maybe its the way I fly... saying that I will never engage one in a turning fight easy way to lose for sure... But saying that the SAM-6 is a lot of fun to play against which is why I like wild weasel...

And for the Modern stuff there's no SAM-10 or 11 !!! Now they are mean and moody... bit like me going through coffee withdrawl... hang on Coffee withdrawl is not on the list whats going on ??? :lmaosmiley: :doh::blowup:

One that's flown by a live player :grin:

Yeah one of those would give you a bit of fun... but they dont like chasing me down low...

Just got my ass whopped in a CF-18 by a Flanker ending my 86 NF IV Campaign prematurly :no: Tried hard to evade a alamo but didnt prevail

Weight added by the radar (200kg) could be the reason :wink: Also 37mm cannon was switched for 23mm,

The change in cannon must be it then.

PACMAN, sure, MiGs are easy to toy with in an F-4. But not in a Hunter or F-100.

The change in cannon must be it then.

PACMAN, sure, MiGs are easy to toy with in an F-4. But not in a Hunter or F-100.

Very true... in those areas with a Hunter attack hard from height and blast through the mig and dive away if height allows failing that Scissors just stay out of a turning fight and as to the F-100 not had much time driving those... but I normally in a hunter come out on top and before you ask I use Hard settings across the board... oh and play Dead is Dead... saying that I do spend a lot of time setting up for a kill find out what my opponent is and then work out their strengths and weakness and stick to their weaknesses and fly to my strengths...

But I understand what your saying Viggen... nothing better than a knife fight in a phone box as I prefer to call a scrap between a Mig-17 and a Hunter...

Saying that I normally fly an A-4 and take on anything with a set of wings...

Edited by PACMAN

Toughest opponent until now: infrared guided missiles, either SAM or A-A... Especially when the radio is full of launch warnings while I am distributing some mavericks, my Tornado IDS is likely to be blast out of the sky by a SAM-9 or AA-11 'cause I'm running out of decoys... And the SAM-11 is also a great danger.

Uhu

1. Mig-17 Maneuverable and a a small target, and once they swarm you you are pretty much done for unless you can speed away, and sometimes that doesn't work especially with the 17F

2. F-4 "Missile Launch!" "He's Firing a Missile" "Missile Inbound!" Need I say more?

3. Su-27 Pretty close to the Mig-29 for me, though I find the Su-27 on my tail more often than the 29

4. F-15 See F-4

SU-27's are pure evil, they are cause for concern...

Toughest opponent until now: infrared guided missiles, either SAM or A-A... Especially when the radio is full of launch warnings while I am distributing some mavericks, my Tornado IDS is likely to be blast out of the sky by a SAM-9 or AA-11 'cause I'm running out of decoys... And the SAM-11 is also a great danger.

Uhu

Regarding most of the IR guided SA missiles, you can avoid them by flying high, the IR seeker can not lock-on from distance. But, as far as A-A IRM are involved, the credit goes to the aircraft who fired them, not to the IRM itself.

Edited by guyran

Try flying high during a 1986-NF4-campaign with a CAS or strike task: if it's not the IR-SAMs who kill you, it is to be the radar ones, especially the SA-8 or SA-11.

And there is a "credit" to give to IRM's: you do not get a distinct launch warning, the wingy call often melts in the radio chatting of other fighters. But that give me an idea...

Uhu

Edit: look here: http://bbs.thirdwire.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p...p;sk=t&sd=a :-)

Edited by Uhu

This might be a bit out of bounds but it's the truth.

In the WOE 62 campaign, my greatest worry is intercepting IL-28s. Let's be for real, AIM-9Bs are not that all reliable and the Iron Beagle can take a whole lot of punishment without going down. The tail gunners are icing on the cake. Bad enough the missles rarely cause a kill, but having to close in with a gunner there waiting for you is just not the walk in the park you they teach you.

• Like 1

Aircraft - SU-35. That plane is just murder.

SAMS - SA-5. Big and fast, completely lethal.

In the 60's and early 70's scenario the MiG-17 is by far my most dreaded adversary, and sadly for me, also my most common adversary. It's sheer manoeuvrability makes it quite formidable as it's extremley hard to get in a good position for either a sidwinder shot or for using the gun. In the late 70's, 80's and 90's ANYTHING that has all aspect IRM's is deadly. I've been shot down by an F-4C armed with AIM-9L while flying a MiG-29. My deadliest adversaries so far in this timeframe are the F-15 if I'm flying for the Red Side, and the MiG-29 if I'm flying for the blue side.

In the late 70's, 80's and 90's ANYTHING that has all aspect IRM's is deadly.

I agree wholeheartedly with this statement. My deadliest adversary in the later years is whoever/whatever fires at me if I don't shoot first, regardless of Red or Blue side; could be a MiG-21, MiG-23, Su-27, Su-35, F-4, F-14, F-15, F-22...if I can survive long enough and run 'em outta missiles, then get into a gunfight, I know I'm doing well, otherwise, you name the plane, it has probably shot me down with an all-aspect missile.

This might be a bit out of bounds but it's the truth.

In the WOE 62 campaign, my greatest worry is intercepting IL-28s. Let's be for real, AIM-9Bs are not that all reliable and the Iron Beagle can take a whole lot of punishment without going down. The tail gunners are icing on the cake. Bad enough the missles rarely cause a kill, but having to close in with a gunner there waiting for you is just not the walk in the park you they teach you.

Yup! Try a guns kill against one of the new Bears.

• Like 1

I find the Su-27 to be the worst opponent to face in NF4, which is what I mainly fly. Even though I've balanced the missiles and ECM in NATO Fighters, they still have the ability--which they were designed for--to ram through air defenses with all of those missiles. When they show up the best plan is to forget the strike mission you are on, dump your bombs and focus solely on survival.