Sign in to follow this  
carrick58

spotting aircraft

Everytime I enlist a pilot with a jasta passed 1916, He gets shot down within two flights. I can never seem to read the hud correctly enought to see them befor they turn me into toast. Anyone have any thoughts or advice. They always seem to fall on me from above and behind but I can never see the 1st. :rofl: The one that got me was an RE8 I was in an albt D-3 pursuit. How can this happen?

Everytime I enlist a pilot with a jasta passed 1916, He gets shot down within two flights. I can never seem to read the hud correctly enought to see them befor they turn me into toast. Anyone have any thoughts or advice. They always seem to fall on me from above and behind but I can never see the 1st. :rofl: The one that got me was an RE8 I was in an albt D-3 pursuit. How can this happen?

Now and then I cheat and turn on the Tactical display, press <tab> until a bogey is lit, then F4 until I see what it is.

When I played RB3D MMP, it was the ONLY way to stay alive. OFF is so close to MMP that I find it useful as well.

OvS

Hmm - you have the TAC ("Radar") on? Perhaps you have it set to show all targets?

Press "T" until you see "aircraft" - then Ctr.+Shift+T, to set the distance you want it to work in.

I have mine set to 4 miles, as that is the distance I can really see aircraft.

An RE8 should NEVER get one of my beloved Albatros by surprise - NEVER! Lol!

I set the TAC to 1 mile and leave it there. That way I don't get much advance warning, but at least I get a little. It also helps during actual combat so I can see if anyone is taking up a position on my 6 o'clock. Again, it's usually not much warning at only 1 mile range with enemy planes traveling at 100 mph +, but at least it gives me some chance to notice them without having to whip my head around constantly using the TrackIR. I swear TrackIR rocks, but if you have to constantly scan the skies around you during the fury of combat every 3 seconds, I start to get motion sickness. Make no mistake, it's a cheat and I know it. But the one mile radar range seems to make the game more enjoyable for me personally. It's a trade off between fun and realism. I die in short order anyways, but it makes for some fast and furious turn fighting while still being able to focus (mostly) on the planes in front of me.

Hellshade

I normally run the HUD at 1 mile, labels on. But yesterday a red blip appeared suddenly and before I could even turn round I was shot down in my trusty BE2c by an EIII. Crashed into some more trees (again) and was only wounded for 21 days or so. This has now happened twice (being wounded, that is) so I am pushing my luck. And the score is now BE2c 1 EIII 1. But now over 30 hours and still going!

Maybe I should run the HUD at 2 miles instead.....

Now and then I cheat and turn on the Tactical display, press <tab> until a bogey is lit, then F4 until I see what it is.

OvS

Yes, that seems about right. As views in RL would be a lot easier, I wouldn't describe it as "cheating" :biggrin: .

Mind you, once you know what it is, you turn TAC off? Seeing what's behind you in combat, with TAC, is going too far, IMHO. Also, it destroys immmersion.

That's why I say that to survive - you against two Aces in "full real"- is extremely difficult in this brilliant sim.

I also use the TAC with 4 mile settings occasionally (not always) to see better, even though I have Trackir. But even with Trackir the visibility is nowhere near as good as in real aircraft, so I don't consider using the TAC like that as terrible cheating. But when the fighting starts, I always turn off my TAC. Makes the experience more exciting and fun in my opinion. And sometimes it's just great to use the TAC to find aircraft, both friendly and enemy, and take screenshots in the external view.

Did some flights without TAC at all. That was a very thrilling experience; I can only do that when I'm

wide awake (which unfortunately isn't very often - Lol!).

A completely different experience, and not necessarily more surprise attacks, as the enemy flights

sometimes just pass in a distance. You may climb then, and see if you can sneak up behind them;

and by pressing "+" you can zoom up to check what they are (binoculars).

Exciting variation!

Guys if you zoom in one notch from default the enemy is much easier to spot without the TAC.

The upcoming patch will have all pits default FOV at 'real' 'life size' representation.

Cheers

WM

Guys if you zoom in one notch from default the enemy is much easier to spot without the TAC.

The upcoming patch will have all pits default FOV at 'real' 'life size' representation.

Cheers

WM

Err... I understood a few of those words, but most likely the easy ones. one notch? pits? FOV? please explain.

Err... I understood a few of those words, but most likely the easy ones. one notch? pits? FOV? please explain.

FOV = Field of View that is rendered when in cockpit view.

In the next update the Horizontal and Verticals FOV defaults will be settable in workshops so all users can set up their own favourite FOVs... and not have to adjust in sim with the keys at every start or view reset.

Although you still can as before.

HTH

WM

Winder: ...defaults will be settable in workshops so all users can set up their own favourite FOVs...

Hey, that's exactly what I need - so the view won't get reset each time I recenter my TrackIR view.

Winder: ...defaults will be settable in workshops so all users can set up their own favourite FOVs...

Hey, that's exactly what I need - so the view won't get reset each time I recenter my TrackIR view.

i am wondering wich button do you use, because at the beginning of a sortie i start the engine and zoom it in one notch. if during flight my trackir get's irritaded because of light or something, i recenter it, but the zoomed view is still there. i never have to hit the zoom button again. how comes?

maybe because i remapped my centering key of trackir to the "insert" button?

Hi Creaghorn: The zoom should not be affected by TrackIR re-centering, and your setup seems to be fine (works same as mine anyway). If Olhams is losing his zoom setting every time he re-centers trackIR then I think he has aa annoying glich there...not how it should work as far as I know.

I have put "re-center" on my joystick thumb button 3 - thanks for caring;

but after Winder's announcement it should soon be history, I hope.

I have put "re-center" on my joystick thumb button 3 - thanks for caring;

but after Winder's announcement it should soon be history, I hope.

Yes FOV customisation will be in the next update (soon)

WM

Hi Olham: I also have re-centre on my joystick (button 8) but my zoom doesn't get affected. Strange! Hopefully Winders proposed improvements will fix you up.

Miscellaneous info...The default zoom can currently be adjusted in the view.xml file for those who wish to meddle with it, but having it accessible in the workshop settings will be great (yay Winder :).

Winder. Thanks very much for those upcoming changes in the next patch. I'm very pleased with the ability to set FOV and for the default to be "real size." Excellent!

A graphics setting question:

Every now and then, the solution I had chosen (1280 x 1024) in the graphic settings, is getting changed.

I don't know why, and find it only changed, when I want to go from the briefing to the field. Very annoying.

Now my question: when I coose the resolution, should I click "use default setting" after that, or leave it on

"select resolution" ?

Returning to the OP topic, spotting aircraft...

I've been really trying to fly without a TAC (or equivalent) display in BHaH because I've flown this way in other WWI sims and it is really more immersive and just a lot more rewarding/fun to simply look around with TIR, but am having a hard time in BHaH. My following comments here are not whinging, but trying to be truly constructive.

The AC bogie 'white labels' only appear at distances not very realistic, and in short order if bogies are hostile then they are on top of you in an advantageous position. I think all would agree with this observation from experience.

I'm going to get some flak (sadly, pun intended...) for bringing this up again, but if the AAA/archie was more active and concentrated (as it was historically) then you could indirectly locate (but not see) AC at realistic distances by the smoke puffs, white smoke was British/French, black smoke was German. Thus not only could you locate bogies, but indirectly determine if friend or foe! This IS how pilots historically used archie smoke; if you don't believe me, then please read some period memoirs.

If many people do not want historically accurate AAA/archie for whatever personal/game reason, and I sincerely accept that (as judged by the earlier poll thread), could AAA have it's own slider separate from ground machine gun fire and aircraft mg's???

Developers, please consider this, and the potential game benefits. After all, one of the true strengths of OFF is the ability to set it the way you'd like to play it, not necessarily the way the vocal majority want it.

Thank you for reading, best regards.

Edited by B Bandy RFC

I've been really trying to fly without a TAC (or equivalent) display in BHaH because I've flown this way in other WWI sims and it is really more immersive and just a lot more rewarding/fun to simply look around with TIR, but am having a hard time in BHaH. My following comments here are not whinging, but trying to be truly constructive.

The AC bogie 'white labels' only appear at distances not very realistic, and in short order if bogies are hostile then they are on top of you in an advantageous position. I think all would agree with this observation from experience.

I'm going to get some flak (sadly, pun intended...) for bringing this up again, but if the AAA/archie was more active and concentrated (as it was historically) then you could indirectly locate (but not see) AC at realistic distances by the smoke puffs, white smoke was British/French, black smoke was German. Thus not only could you locate bogies, but indirectly determine if friend or foe! This IS how pilots historically used archie smoke; if you don't believe me, then please read some period memoirs.

If many people do not want historically accurate AAA/archie for whatever personal/game reason, and I sincerely accept that (as judged by the earlier poll thread), could AAA have it's own slider separate from ground machine gun fire and aircraft mg's???

Developers, please consider this, and the potential game benefits. After all, one of the true strengths of OFF is the ability to set it the way you'd like to play it, not necessarily the way the vocal majority want it.

I

I agree that the AAA should be more consentrated at least over the lines and it would be a great way to help spot Aircraft. Thanks to all who answered my help call about the TAC still learning to use it but have had some sucess. while in a 1 1/2 strutter (Sopwith) got hits on a Albt D-2 then my tail gunner got 4 hits more. Next flight , jumped 5 D-2 Albt. spoted them on the tac saw them below after a while dived in to attack swung slowly on the tail of one and got 4 hits, closer 6 hits he turned right as I fired a long Burst and he smoked and hit the tree line,of course the others tore up my flight of three but did learn to use the tac a little bit. :clapping:

Hmm - I see archie/Flak, when enemies are near. Maybe you want it denser?

But there is activity - at least, where I fly.

I

I agree that the AAA should be more consentrated at least over the lines and it would be a great way to help spot Aircraft. Thanks to all who answered my help call about the TAC still learning to use it but have had some sucess. while in a 1 1/2 strutter (Sopwith) got hits on a Albt D-2 then my tail gunner got 4 hits more. Next flight , jumped 5 D-2 Albt. spoted them on the tac saw them below after a while dived in to attack swung slowly on the tail of one and got 4 hits, closer 6 hits he turned right as I fired a long Burst and he smoked and hit the tree line,of course the others tore up my flight of three but did learn to use the tac a little bit. :clapping:

More concentrated will make player die in Flak more easily - is that what we want?

WM

Making effects viewable at longer range is a function that has to be carefully considered due to FPS issues....we have noted this request even before now but understand its not just a matter of historically correct (OBD wants it to be as historically correct as possible) but also a function of CPU and GPU power balance.

HTH

WM