Sign in to follow this  
midnight_mangler

Recording Avi's...

1): First record a track by opening a mission in the editor and press control-r or select "record track" from the "flight" menu.

2): When you are done and select quit or end mission (or whatever is says) you are taken to the save screen. Remeber to type in a name for your track and click "save".

3): you can now go to the map screen and select "record Avi" from the "flight menu" - When you do that you are given some options to set codecs and quality etc...

4): Click "Start"

ps: if you wanted to change the views on the tracks before you record you can select "video edit" and then change the views before you record. Save it and go to #4)

You can allways open a track at a later time by selecting "open" from the main menu and select "track files" in the dropdown menu on the lower right of the open screen

NP... be adviced though that there is still bugs with this feature.

Test with smaller trackfiles to begin with.

One note: it sometimes reckords sounds from you mic when its writing the audio track so switch it off if you have one!

Let me know how it works out

I fooled around a bit more with recording avi's.

The only codec that seems to be working is the normal uncompressed avi. The thing is that the files get huge (about a gig pr 15 seconds) and if they get more than a certain size they wont play in the media player. I have tried turning down quality but that doesnt look to be doing much untill you get it down to abot 2%. Then the files will actually get a bit smaller but not much...and i cant see any big difference in quality (thats good i think :blink: )

But the track i want to record is about 2 minuttes long and smallest i can get it is around 3Gb which is still ridiculous.... and i have to record it in 20 second segments and paste them together in a video editor to avoid error.

If any of you find out a better way then let me know. I knwo about FRAPS but i would like to get the inbuilt to work.

btw: it would be a killer avi if i could get it to work....damn: i so much felt like showing off. :(

I'm just bumping this...

I have accepted that i have to record short sections and then paste them together in a video editor. But does anyone know of some tools to compress those huge avi files without taking to high a toll on quality?

Try Virtualdub. It is free and it works well. A lot of the movie makers record at a lower resolution. Most of the IL-2 movies are captured at 640x480x32 with Fraps.

http://www.virtualdub.org/

Edited by Knife21

thanks for the answer. I will check it out

Hey Ghost, I've been able to get the DivX 5.xx (.04 I think it is) to work just fine. I also used the windows movie maker to make a couple of videos. I jacked up the resolution all the way to the highest level and a 3 min video is just under a gig along with a music track. Good luck! - Sledge

Correction: The 3min video was just under 1Meg not 1Gig. Sorry about that. - Sledge

I have never gotten the DivX codecs to work but i'll give it another go later if you say it works for you

I use Dr.DivX to compress it. I render the avi's from the game uncompressed. They work great.

I kind of gave up on the whole thing after spending so much time on it for nothing. I still have some tracks that i would like to render so i might give it another try. the next time i'm not using my machine for anything else... whenever that might be

having just tried the avi in game recorder, for me does not work

2 fps with no sound 3 sec clip was 80meg of nonsence ,

yet FRAPS a great little program records the game perfect

with sound, so my view is the avi recorder is waste of time

for me ,stick with FRAPS