Sign in to follow this  
Canvas Wings

Snow storm at under 1000 feet?

And I always thought under about 3000 feet you were out of the weather....

January 12/17

Flying a Sopwith Pup with RFC-54 out of Chipilly.

Returning from a successful strike against a Boche airbag near Douai. The weather was treacherous the entire flight, overcast and heavy snow. Clouds forced us down under 3000 feet most of the way, but we're back in one piece. Chipilly rolls into view, and I start my approach turn, bleeding off altitude. Suddenly the wind and snow pick up; flakes are streaking past like tracers. Visibility plummets. Within seconds I am in a total white out at maybe at about 800 feet …and I know the altitude around Chipilly is at least 200. White knuckles? I drive Canadian winter roads -in the middle of the Rockies no less; this pushes *all* my adrenaline buttons. Did I mention this is my only 17hour + pilot? After several scary minutes circling the area, inching ever lower with one eye over the side and one on the altimeter (thank God there's one in the Pup), I finally glimpse a few dark lines off one wing. Roads? Hangars? I sideslip in that direction, and drop out of the storm; for another hair-raising few moments the turbulence just below the clouds bounces me around like God's own pinball. I finally get control somewhere around 350 feet or so make for what has turned out to be, after all, a line of aircraft hangers. It is still snowing heavily, everything is white, and between the wind and the nerves, I bounce in like drunken pelican, switch off, heave a great sigh of relief and check my map… only to find I am at Molancourt a good 5 miles from Chipilly. I don't know what my 17-plus hour pilot did after that… but I went straight to the fridge and had a beer. A couple, in fact.

My suggestion for P4 … put a freakin' medical disclaimer on the cover! :grin: -something about people with heart conditions and such. Gawd, I love this sim!

Great story indeed. OFF is so unpredictable. I'm glad you survived, hehe.

A tale well told. You had me sweating too.

I don't know what my 17-plus hour pilot did after that…

Change of underwear... THEN a couple of beers for him too. Very evocative writing CW, had me willing him down safely too.

I'm either living right, or doing something wrong - I only ever seem to fly in sunshine. No that's a lie, I sometimes take off in snowstorms, but I invariably get shot down, so I don't have to worry about finding my way back. Still haven't had a balloon mission....<sniff>....

Is ground-level fog modeled? It is the only weather feature I don't think I have run across yet--thank God!