Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Aircraft pics and data at EADS website

Well that is interesting photo! Wow i havent seen this before. Looks interesting. Need to study this.

thanks for sharing

Just been at a website of the EADS - European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company.

For all who didn't know it yet:

http://www.eads.com/1024/de/eads/history/a...tros_D_III.html

I found that photograph of the Albatros staffel interesting. Do you know, which Jasta

they are, OvS, Paarma?

Can you Olham ask eads for details of the picture? I would really like to know when picture is taken. What jasta is in there and whose albatros dv´s are identified on picture.

It would really be usefull information

Cheers

Just been at a website of the EADS - European Aeronautic Defence and Space Company.

For all who didn't know it yet:

http://www.eads.com/1024/de/eads/history/a...tros_D_III.html

I found that photograph of the Albatros staffel interesting. Do you know, which Jasta

they are, OvS, Paarma?

Okay, I will do my best!

I've never seen this photo, but my guess is Jasta 50. I'll look into it.

Cheers,

the shredder

They seem to have bright diagonal stripes on a mid-temperature grounded tail.

Yeah, that's what I was looking at as well. I'm going to see if I can match any of the serial numbers.

Cheers,

shredward

Just got a first reaction at "The Aerodrome" - Shredward seems to be right with Jasta 50:

Hello Olham,

it´s a line up of Albatros D III (OAW) of Jasta 50 at Autremencourt in early (January-March) 1918.

They had chevron-style stripes on their tailplanes as a jasta identification.

The colours are unfortunately unknown. It is suggested that it is sky blue and red or black (or red) and white.

Rainer

Now, my personal oppinion as a designer, who did a little B/W photography, is, that either black or red

on the tailplanes would appear darker. Sky blue and white rather. But I wasn't there...

Edit: well, on second looks, the crosses, which where definitely black, don't look dark either.

Edited by Olham

D.2370 was a DIII flown by Vzfw Joseph Kettel. That serial is pretty close to the two that we can see in the photo, so I'm fairly confident that is a Ja 50 lineup.

The pattern and number of the diagonals on the horizontal stab were what suggested to me the unit.

Cheers,

shredward

Here's what I found at The Aerodrome, when searching for Jasta 50. Greg Wyngarden seems to relate to

this or a similar picture there, as the number 2362 is the first craft indeed.

Greetings Felipe !

Your Jasta 50 profiles are very nice. According to Arntzen's notes, the first D.III in line, D.2362/17 with the black/white chevron,

was flown by Unteroffizier Fritz Liese, who was killed in a collision on 9 March 1918.

The second one, D. 2377/17 with the black/white zig-zag marking, was flown by Vizefeldwebel Wittenfeld.

Yes, Jasta 6 had black and white stripes on their tailplanes. but those were chordwise, not chevron or "vee" shaped like Jasta 50.

There were many Prussian Jastas who featured some form of black and white striping on their tails.

I don't have any solid proof that Jasta 50 had black and white tail markings, but the late Peter Gray (God bless him) certainly didn't

have any proof for his off-handed comment in the Profile that "colours are not known but possibly blue and red." That little comment

has been innocently seized upon by many and taken as gospel. More later.

Greg VanWyngarden

Hope, you skinners like it!

PS: here is a link to another post about the colours:

http://www.theaerodrome.com/forum/camoufla...html#post268678

Edited by Olham

And some more from Dan_San_Abbott:

Gentlemen:

I took another look at the Jasta 50 photographs in the "Fokker D.VII Aces" Part 2, page 69.

The stripes on the tailplane do not match the black cross on the rudder. It is subdued light, overcast?

Using the grey scale in Methuen Book the stripes are 1D1 and the cross is 1F1. using the page 10 in

grey scale instead of the color page. The stripe are 10A8 in grey and the cross is 10F2 in grey value.

10A8 and 11A8 in grey value are the same.

Greg and Ed. I am inclined to believe Jasta 50 used red and white. In any event, the grey value for

stripes do not match the darker grey value for the cross. Whatever.

Blue skies,

Dan

Great information. thanks for all