Sign in to follow this  
MudMarine

Game Resolution Changing?

Why does the game resolution change when I click "go to field" and the mission begins to load? What am I missing? Everything that I can see is set to a high resolution........please point me to a post or give me an idea of what I'm doing wrong. Thanks!

Have you set up the resolution in the CFSCONFIG file via the workshop?

If not, here is a guide:

1.1) Installation Settings and Graphics

1) When OFF runs for the first time the CFS3 configuration application is run automatically (CFSCONFIG.exe) too from the "CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields" install folder . This allows users to set up how the sim will run, plus things like the screen resolution and graphics settings such as AA (Anti-Aliasing for smoother edges). If you miss this opportunity on first run you can always set up and access all CFS3 configurations by going to Workshops from the main menu and pressing the " Graphics Config " button to bring up CFS3 Config tool:

(By the way if you do not have this button in Workshop but instead have a "CFS3Config" button then you need to UPDATE to V1.30 first! See downloads page for current update available).

FAQ%20setting%20sliders%20and%20screen%20resolution%20002.jpg

2) To set the desired screen resolution that you will play CFS3 at, (i.e. in-game screen size), use the CFS3 Configuration Window as follows:

Select File, Change Display Options

FAQ%20setting%20sliders%20and%20screen%20resolution%20003.jpg

And set up what you require

FAQ%20setting%20sliders%20and%20screen%20resolution%20004.jpg

Finally - Click OK.

NOTE OFF usually will perform BETTER if you play at the maximum resolution your monitor supports!

By the way you can set up Anti-Aliasing from that screen too see Q22 for more info. Again for some people setting up AA on their display driver /graphic card settings can sometimes actually increase performance!

Also note if you ever update your video card driver, you will need to re run Graphics Config, to accept the new video driver for OFF (just as you do in vanilla CFS3).

3) Now set up your Detail Sliders in the CFS3 Configuration Window proceed as follows:

Select File, Custom Settings, and OK the warning.

You will be presented with 5 sliders and an overall Graphic detail slider that control various detail aspects of OFF in run time:

Aircraft Detail:

Low and Medium PCs select 4

Good PCs select 5

Terrain Detail:

Low PCs 1 or 2,

Medium PCs select 3

Good PCs select 4 (it is recommended that you do *NOT* use 5 for Terrain even for the very highest speed PCs, performance and visual quality may suffer later)

Scenery Detail:

Low PCs 1 or 2

Medium PCs select 3

Good PCs select 4 (and maybe if 4 works fine, possibly 5).

Effects Detail:

Low and Medium PCs select 4

Good PCs select 5

Cloud Quality:

Low PCs select 1 to 3

Medium PCs select 4

Good PCs select 5

Click OK when done.

To Save all these settings you must choose File, Exit, do NOT click the [X] box !

FAQ%20setting%20sliders%20and%20screen%20resolution%20006.jpg

Your display settings will be saved, but if you go back later, it will appear that Anti-Aliasing was not saved (it is but CFSConfig does not show it correctly, CFS3 bug).

For further info on recommended slider settings please also see "System Requirements" page from the main page)

Note sliders in OFF are +2 in quality over CFS3 sliders ("3" in OFF = "5" in CFS3!) so please don't choose too high settings.

Set yuor resolution to the highest resolution allowed by your monitop, Yes I know it doesn't make any sense, just do it and see.

Problem with this idea is that the text becomes too small to read. Labels are barely legible at 1600x1200, and become indiscernible squiggles when I go all the way up to 2048x1538. Any way to increase the font size?

Problem with this idea is that the text becomes too small to read. Labels are barely legible at 1600x1200, and become indiscernible squiggles when I go all the way up to 2048x1538. Any way to increase the font size?

Hello

I run OFF at design res of 1920 x 1200 and the font is quite readable (to me)- I have to admit I have not tried the res you mention in the latter part of your post!

OFF does scale the text with desktop res so can you post a pic of what you see at that res and I will investigate further.

Test Pilot great post thanks!

Ta

WM

Test Pilot

Your post is the best instructional post I have seen in a long while.

Well done!

Test Pilot

Your post is the best instructional post I have seen in a long while.

Well done!

LOL thanks guys ;)

Yeah I thought it was great work too - I spent quite some time doing it for the FAQ ;)

Thanks for posting it though Test Pilot it helps someone.