An Ancient Evil is rising from the shadows of the past. . .

Sauron, the Dark Lord, will soon walk the earth once more. . .

The Fellowship must be reformed in a new guise to combat the great Enemy. . .

post-16914-1247323996_thumb.jpg

post-16914-1247324007_thumb.jpg

post-16914-1247324018_thumb.jpg

post-16914-1247323975_thumb.jpg

If any of our resident Kiwis have any suggestions for this map/campaign, now's the time. . .

And if anyone fancies painting a Nazgul on the side of an Su-27, I'm sure I could put it to use :wink:

Cheers all,

Baltika

Yessss....we wants it....we NNEEEEEDDSSSS it.....

newmigpilot2.jpg

(finally found another use for this 5 year old screenie!!!)

wrench

kevin stein

Yessss....we wants it....we NNEEEEEDDSSSS it.....

Oh yeah! I second that! Hey Balt, is this terrain going to include only NZ? Wouldn't be any chance of sneaking a small portion of the East coast of Oz or any pacific islands in there... would there? I have an idea for an "alternate history" campaign...

Great stuff, Wrench, I think we have our first "Known Ace" for the minions of Mordor :yes:

@Say What?!

Sorry, but the campaign map is as you see it in the screenshot above. This is a full-scale terrain using Gepard's .bmp stretching method, so the distances involved are already pretty large. As you can see, I have also completed my NZ_CityList so I would have to re-do a ton of work to change the map now.

Consider this a follow-on to my British Isles map, maintaining the focus very much on the tactical rather than the strategic. Which is why the included campaign(s) will be entirely fictional.

But I like the sound of an alternative history Pacific campaign.

ooohhh...ooohhh!

Looks terrific. Will it included a campaign? When do you think it will be ready?

ooohhh...ooohhh!

Looks terrific. Will it included a campaign? When do you think it will be ready?

Thanks. NZ terrain is great for map-making. My wife and I honeymooned there for 3 weeks and were blown away by the scenery.

NZ terrain d/l will include at least one campaign. My working build features 2 Sqdn RNZAF flying A-4 Kahu, 75 Sqdn RNZAF flying TA-4K, and 14 Sqdn RNZAF flying MB-339A as a stand-in for their actual model. The RAF will also feature, flying Tornado F3 and Harrier Gr 7.

If the Kiwis can put up with it, an Ozzie carrier group may also barge into the fray.

The bad guys I currently have set as Chinese, but I may go the whole hog and whip up an "Eye of Sauron" squadron insignia/decalset and add Mordor to the nations.INI. Then, a couple of jet-black skins for the stock TW Migs and we should be set. Marcfighters Su-27 and the TMF MiG-29 will also feature. Life expectancy is low for Fellowship pilots, but you get a great feel for how versatile the Skyhawk is. . . until you die.

If I have time I will also make quick edits to the stock WOE campaigns to make 'em work on this map.

As to time scale, all I can say is, "two weeks." But most of the terrain grunt work is done.

Edited by Baltika

:biggrin: LOL!

I love the mountains and scenery here, textures are looking sweet Baltika!

Seeing Minas Tirith rising up one of those cliffs would be such a surprise :rolleyes:

:biggrin: LOL!

I love the mountains and scenery here, textures are looking sweet Baltika!

Seeing Minas Tirith rising up one of those cliffs would be such a surprise :rolleyes:

Scenery is glorious hereabouts :yes:

As for the textures, they are Deuces' old Germany_CE repaint, plus a few additional coastal transition tiles I have knocked together by merging his tiles and creating new .tgas.

As for Minas Tirith, I am no 3d modeller, but there are relics of the Old World to be found lurking in the mountains. . .

Very very cool. Personally, I'd be happy with your basic Chinese invasion force scenario vs NZ ans AUS. Could be much fun!

I know I'd just enjoy flying over that terrain.

Very very cool. Personally, I'd be happy with your basic Chinese invasion force scenario vs NZ ans AUS. Could be much fun!

OK, looks like I'll go for reworking the stock WOE campaigns to feature China, NZ, AUS, and RAF. My WIP modern campaign can be the War of the Ring Resurrection campaign.

Tile texture work is finished. Next up is airfield flattening, always a hairy moment in TE. Target placement will be of the cut & paste variety, although Auckland, Wellington and Invercargill will get some special treatment.

533rd Uruk-Hai Fighter Squadron on the prowl. . .

post-16914-1247606540_thumb.jpg

post-16914-1247606560_thumb.jpg

The armies of Barad-dur are rising. . .

OK, looks like I'll go for reworking the stock WOE campaigns to feature China, NZ, AUS, and RAF. My WIP modern campaign can be the War of the Ring Resurrection campaign.

Can you put some cricket grounds in to bomb? You know, so we can fly our pigs over to deliver some 'pleasantries' after they complain about our fast bowlers yet again....? Heh, just kidding dude! :biggrin:

This is looking great! Cheers for the info, I wouldn't dare ask you to change map now! :tongue: Looking forward to having a home for my RNZAF Blk 10 F-16s. Hrntfxr has made a couple of sweet Kiwi Green skins for the Falcon and the Hornet that'll go quite nicely with this map...

Cricket grounds, no problem :good:

Meanwhile, Saruman has been busy. . .

post-16914-1247638746_thumb.jpg

post-16914-1247638756_thumb.jpg

More to come.

Cheers,

Baltika

Wow is the word alright, this is indeed a pleasant surprise. :good: If possible would suggest a large airfield on the Chatham Islands to serve as a FARP for bomber sqns "that make it past the wall",and a big bullseye in the middle of AKL 'cos even though i can wait too weeks for this wee gem,i'm just gagging to go nuke the concrete pothole:biggrin: regards brndl

Progress update:

Airfield placement is going well, albeit slowly. About 1/3 done, that's 16 airbases placed, tiled, flattened, test-driven to make sure the AI can land between the mountain peaks. Picton and Wanaka were a lot of fun. Another 30-odd to go. Plus a stack of little Aerodromes if I can find the time. . .

Having fun flying this terrain:-

post-16914-1248216701_thumb.jpg

post-16914-1248216718_thumb.jpg

@brndl, no problem, already dialled in:

Tuuta Airfield egress:

post-16914-1248216813_thumb.jpg

Picton outbound:

post-16914-1248217776_thumb.jpg

On the plate at Wanaka:

post-16914-1248217813_thumb.jpg

post-16914-1248217837_thumb.jpg

@Nightshift82, this is being developed in WoE Oct 08, but I see no reason why it shouldn't work in SF2 series.

Will keep you posted.

Cheers all,

Baltika

Edited by Baltika

Looking great! One point to consider, New Zealand is a land of about 4 million people and 70 million sheep. They have cows in WOE. Only kidding, I cannot wait either. Hope you paint my house the right colour.

The sheep are not forgotten. . .

Should be easy enough to replace the cow .tga with a sheep .tga, although I may need to add a lot more sheep to the terrain :wink:

Having driven (and flown) round NZ, I know what you mean. There are a lot of sheep. . .

The sheep are not forgotten. . .

70 Million??? Damn. I knew it was a lot, but flying over NZ, I'm going to second guess every white patch of terrain as either being snow or sheep. lol

Terrains made for 08 level TOS games are just a simple "plug and play" for NextGen sims. Just double check the cat pointers in the main ini.

It's too bad we don't have 'studio' buildings ... you could add the Weta Complex as a target (take that Peter Jackson! -- j/k!!!)

wrench

kevin stein

I hope you wait till PJ finishes his Dam Busters Remake. Sneekie pictures have escaped of his Lancaster full size model. I cannot find one just at the moment but they are out there. PS, No one knows whether this model is static or can fly!