Sign in to follow this  
beveryafraid

Graphic anomolies ( ground/terrain textures )

When I play this game the textures of the terrain look normal at first but then later I can get extremely weird looking texture tiles on the ground as seen by me in my plane up at mid to high altitudes. I get things that look like letters and numbers. Sometimes just white tiles with a silouette of the plane type I'm flying! Sometimes also rainbow color stripes and lakes and rivers with wierd colors. Then the next mission I see what looks like clocks without hands!! I see the numbers 1 thru 12 in a clock circle. I'm not kidding, this is strange stuff! Like being on a LSD trip or something.

I have a i7 965 processor and a EVGA Nvidia 285GTX vid card. I installed the very latest graphic drivers from Nvidia website only two days ago. I have all my BH&H sliders set to 4 and my AA set to 8 samples. I can give you a run down on my Nvidia Control Panel settings if needed later on. I also will be able to post a screenshot of the strange anomalies if needed too. Maybe someone will give me a clue here before I need to go further though because maybe it's been seen before.

Two things are possible, one of them is a definate:

1) When we all used Geforce 3's, the latest driver was manditory. Now with the series 200 cards, it's a good idea to RUN what's on the disc

2) Back off your Terrian slider to 4, there ain't a puter on this earth, or very few. That can handle 5 for long

OR . . BOTH

On what disk?? And if you'll read again, you'll see I already have my sliders on 4. Never said I had them on 5.

I just snapped that after an hour of letting the plane mill around by itself after I trimmed it. I thought my problems were gone but after an hour or so the anomalies were back once again. This is a new PC and I just installed this sim the other day after I installed the latest Nvidia drivers that just came out. As you can see by the screen capture, there are images of what looks like the "radar" screen. The one that comes up in the game if you hit 'ctrl T' command.

It's normal for this weird stuff to happen only after flying around for a while. I usually get normal ground scenery at first.

Edited by beveryafraid

lol..WOW...now thats what i call an abnormality,,,think it even tops the "blue install meter" that someone was getting....

im just guessing,,and not all that familiar with nvidia..but with ati,,in the ati control panel you can see what temp your card is reading..

I would be interesed in knowing what your card was up too....after this "hour of milling around"....

and,,i would dbl check to make sure all fans are running......as it seems to happen after a period of time, my first guess would be an heat issue,,,,but just a guess.

I can see why you'd think heat issue but it's not. I have an overclocking utility for my video card that also allows you to turn up the fan speed really high.

I can crank it up to over twice as high as the default speed and HWmonitor reports that after playing this or other graphically intensive game that my temp never goes higher than 55C. And that ain't high for a video card, especially a 285GTX. Before I ran this utility, my temps would get up to 75C and that ain't even considered all that hot for a GPU. So temperature as a problem should be dismissed.

It's more likely an incorrect video memory setting somehow. For some reason, the card is not performing up to its memory potential. Have you done all the graphics config settings in Workshop?

Doing some more experiments. But I think the temp is OK. My older Nvidia 8800GT regularly got up to 75C and I played this game with it for a while with no problems.

It's more likely an incorrect video memory setting somehow. For some reason, the card is not performing up to its memory potential. Have you done all the graphics config settings in Workshop?
I overclocked all three clocks on my 285GTX, I'll see what happens when I go back down to stock speeds. Perhaps it didn't like my new memory clock speed. All my other games love both my processor overclock and my video card overclock. Maybe this one is touchy?? I'll be back............

I don't want to derail this thread but ...

Talk about over clocking ... there's clocks all over the place in that photo. :rofl:

Carry on gentlemen ... sorry to interject my humor in a serious thread. OVS feel free to delete this if it gets in the way.

Just me E

I think it may have been the overclocked video card memory clock all along. With just the core and shader clocks overclocked, it seems fine. For whatever reason, all my other games ( including IL2 ) get kicks and giggles from my overclocking all three clocks but OFF seems to screw the pooch when I increase the memory clock!! Figures I'd have to have one angry dissenter. So I guess I'll have to fiddle with my overclock all the time just for this game.

I flew OFF an hour from the ground to up to 9,000 feet and never saw the weird junk with my memory clock back down to default speed. I only had it about 70Mhz higher too.

Glad I may have been of assistance. CFS3, on which OFF is based, can be a very finicky beast.

Talk about over clocking ... there's clocks all over the place in that photo. rofl.gif

I think that screenshot is from OFF, Beyond Heaven and Hell: Salvador Dali edition! :wink:

OFF will use a lot of video memory and cook everything nicely, weird stuff happens means GPU, GPU memory, CPU or CPU memory is cooking on gas..

Sometimes it could also be a power supply issue, extra strain, fans on full blast etc etc.

I have had this same sort problem (a couple of white tiles that turn green as you fly closer to them), only it was just in certain locations. Plus it was just after starting the game (so the CPU and GPU were still cool) and I have ATI 3970 Crossfires and my terrain slider is set on 3.

Edited by Panama Red

When I play this game the textures of the terrain look normal at first but then later I can get extremely weird looking texture tiles on the ground as seen by me in my plane up at mid to high altitudes. I get things that look like letters and numbers. Sometimes just white tiles with a silouette of the plane type I'm flying! Sometimes also rainbow color stripes and lakes and rivers with wierd colors. Then the next mission I see what looks like clocks without hands!! I see the numbers 1 thru 12 in a clock circle. I'm not kidding, this is strange stuff! Like being on a LSD trip or something.

I have a i7 965 processor and a EVGA Nvidia 285GTX vid card. I installed the very latest graphic drivers from Nvidia website only two days ago. I have all my BH&H sliders set to 4 and my AA set to 8 samples. I can give you a run down on my Nvidia Control Panel settings if needed later on. I also will be able to post a screenshot of the strange anomalies if needed too. Maybe someone will give me a clue here before I need to go further though because maybe it's been seen before.

I've been having the same problem on and off. Weird stuff... sometimes it's a graphic of an instrument, other times it's the skin of a plane, still other times it's all sorts of weirdness. Its like flying in a Salvidore Dali painting. Its a very hit and miss thing. Sometimes I get hit by the weird graphics... other times I can fly for hours without any graphical weirdness.

I'm running a gtx 260 with the latest drivers. My cpu is a q6600 multicore. Nothing overclocked. No heat problems. Only does this in OFF. I've tried turning down my sliders, but no joy. Like I said... its hit or miss.

Guest Barnstorm

I too have had this exact screen, just before the system would lock-up. It happened when I was "testing" the overclocking capabilities of my 8800 GTS using the Nvidia control panel Perfomance app. I was increasing by % of baseline, 15% above baseline and I got that or similiar screens,

but @ 14% she runs great.

long as we are talking about bad graphics,,,was alwasy wondering about this one...

when i enter a cloud,,i start to get this...

gallery_45808_317_13432.jpg

as i get further into the cloud,,it turns into this...

gallery_45808_317_39519.jpg

used to have clouds on 4 or 5,,,set them down to 2 and didnt change a thing,,,

i dont have any of the cockpit fog or cockpit clouds disables,,(maybe i should.....)

ati4870/3.16 dc,,plenty of ram...

any ideas

Edited by sitting_duck

CFS3 engine issue for the fog..

Other issues are likely memory overload or cooking as I said. Try knocking terrain or scenery back a notch.