Sign in to follow this  
Creaghorn

Windows 7

tomorrow in germany windows 7 will be available for sale.

i'm thinking about buying it. for now i have heard only good things about it.

so my questions for the people who made some beta testing.

currently i have windows xp professional sp3.

it's said windows 7 works faster and more efficient. compared to vista? would it also be faster than xp?

will BHAH, trackir and pedals and all that stuff work with win7?

do you recommend it?

thank you

creaghorn

For a start - How fast it runs depends on the PC you are sticking it on :)

It might be a good OS - although there may be a few bugs to iron out initially.

Is it really available in Germany?? - Microsofts site says its being released on October 22nd

For a start - How fast it runs depends on the PC you are sticking it on :)

It might be a good OS - although there may be a few bugs to iron out initially.

Is it really available in Germany?? - Microsofts site says its being released on October 22nd

at least you can preorder windows 7 home premium, and for a short contingent it's available for 50€. so i might be true delivery might be in oct.

my rig had vista when i bought it. it erased it and put xp sp3 on it.

quad core 2.2mhz

3.5 gb ram (2x? don't know)

nvidia gtx 260 oc

more data i don't know. but since there was originally vista on it and all hardware were made rather for vista (i had to search the web for unofficial xp-drivers) i'm sure it should work with windows 7.

xp worked fine, actually lot faster than original vista.

Microsoft has been running a preorder discount on Windows 7. I think the offer here in the States expired on the 11th. The deal was that if you ordered it now, you could buy an upgrade version of Windows 7 Home for $50. Not a bad deal, kinda wish I had gotten it. I've been following the reports on 7 pretty closely and from all accounts, it runs better than Vista and some Vista rigs actually showed a mild performance increase once they were running 7. Now whether that's a clean install with just 7 or an upgraded version of Vista, I don't know.

I hope it's a bit more stable than Vista. I've never had a problem with my copy, save one event when the computer failed to boot properly and the end result was me reinstalling everything from scratch and nearly losing all of my data!

Vista is like a late-model Mercedes. It's bullet proof, but when it breaks, it really breaks!

/owned a 1988 190E :biggrin:

The thing with Vista (and by extension Windows 7) is that you need modern hardware. But once you got that, it blows XP away in useability. Granted XP might run better on the same hardware, but then again windows 98 in theory would run far better than XP as well. Vista and 7 need a certain amount of RAM but thats just because there is more to the OS. Holding it against the OS for needing more RAM is like holding it against flight simulator x cause it needs more RAM than did flight sim 4. That being said, the memory management of these OS's is superb and handles itself far better than XP. The start menu search in Vista and 7 is for my money worth the upgrade alone. Navigation through folders is much better too over XP in Vista and 7 thanks to the carrots feature in Windows Explorer. Plus the OS DVD has a restore feature where you can boot from the disc (sort of a Live session for the boot process) and repair the boot process on the harddrive if it becomes corrupted ever (a fairly "common" occurrence with XP to be honest). And now the new taskbar in 7 is pretty darn useful too! But get the 64 bit version. A quad core is modern enough to handle that processor and the drivers out for Vista 64 will almost certainly run with Win 7.

But the question is whether itd be worth it to upgrade. Depends on how you use an OS and your computer. If it's solely to run OFF, then youre probably just fne with XP. But if you like to do a bit more, then Id say take the plunge into 7!

Edited by Test Pilot

it's said it's no upgrade but a complete OS. just would like to hear some opinions about windows 7, compared to XP regarding performance. i would like to have windows 7, but i would only do it if it's really better than xp. of course it's better than vista, that's no art :biggrin:

i know there were some people here who had tried it.

any opinions would be appreciated :good:

The thing with Vista (and by extension Windows 7) is that you need modern hardware. But once you got that, it blows XP away in useability. Granted XP might run better on the same hardware, but then again windows 98 in theory would run far better than XP as well. Vista and 7 need a certain amount of RAM but thats just because there is more to the OS. Holding it against the OS for needing more RAM is like holding it against flight simulator x cause it needs more RAM than did flight sim 4. That being said, the memory management of these OS's is superb and handles itself far better than XP. The start menu search in Vista and 7 is for my money worth the upgrade alone. Navigation through folders is much better too over XP in Vista and 7 thanks to the carrots feature in Windows Explorer. Plus the OS DVD has a restore feature where you can boot from the disc (sort of a Live session for the boot process) and repair the boot process on the harddrive if it becomes corrupted ever (a fairly "common" occurrence with XP to be honest). And now the new taskbar in 7 is pretty darn useful too! But get the 64 bit version. A quad core is modern enough to handle that processor and the drivers out for Vista 64 will almost certainly run with Win 7.

But the question is whether itd be worth it to upgrade. Depends on how you use an OS and your computer. If it's solely to run OFF, then youre probably just fne with XP. But if you like to do a bit more, then Id say take the plunge into 7!

thank you test pilot,

just saw your post after i posted mine, so we crossed it, sorry.

i would do more things on it besides playing OFF. hardwares should be able to run since the were originally for vista and about a year old yet.

asked a friend for 64 bit, and he said i should take the 32 version, because there are not as far as many drivers for 64 as for 32. lot of hardware and other stuff (graphic card?trackir? joystick...?) wouldn't have the right drivers available. so i would often have to wait for some 64 bit drivers appear somewhere.

as you can see, i'm not the pc-guru of the century :blink: .

Id say go for 64bit. Drivers arent as scarce as some say, at least not now. Plus drivers are more and more common for 64bit. On the otherhand, it is a major concern to be sure hardware works so of course youd want to be sure there are first. Graphics cards will run fine in 64 as well as track IR. What joystick do you have? Vista/7 will likely find the drivers for your joysticks without you having to install another set of drivers to get them running. In fact, it is rare in general to not have the OS find drivers and install them for you. TrackIR wasnt automatic, but loading the drivers off the disc/download worked fine (as long as the TrackIR USB wasnt plugged in at the time!). Overall, I havent had any problems finding drivers for 64bit, even a year ago. Plus, newer devices you add will almost certainly be available with 64bit. And if you do get 64bit, and your MOBO can handle it, treat yourself to some extra RAM too!

Not sure if this is going to influence your decision, but Multiplayer does NOT work on windows7.....

Something to do with Windows 7 and some xml files.......

sorry about some stupid questions,

since i'm no genious about all this stuff. where is the difference between 64bit and 32bit? what does 64 make better? and how could i find out if my rig could handle 64bit? :umnik2:

Basically, 32-bit becomes limited in addressing RAM...ie a 32-bit OS will not directly access all your RAM at anything 4GB or higher.

A 64-bit OS doesn't have that limit.

I've been testing Win7 64bit, I run Win Vista 32bit, and test WinXP 32-bit.

If I had my druthers, I'd permenantly move over to Win7. I've noticed on my newer hardware it's more stable than Vista, and almost as fast as XP, with a lot more features.

FC

Can you find out what processor you have and its name/type? Based on the fact that you said it was a quad core and is fairly new, it probably is...

64bit allows up to 17 billion gigs of RAM (current Vista limits are 128 so 7 probably the same, though these can increase over time at MS's whim...). 32bit can only handle a theoretical max of 4 gigs (RAM capacity doubles with each increase of a single bit). 64bit can process some math processes a bit faster (probably not noticeable though). 64bit are also more secure in theory (though in time they wont be any more secure than 32bit as people begin to adapt to 64bit apps. Plus windows 64bit is really a cross between 32bit and 64bit so a 32bit program can run on it as well so I doubt security is really an advantage). Mainly the advantage is in the extra RAM they can handle.

Edited by Test Pilot

I have it on my Laptop (Win7 that is)

Yes..it's fine... Looks pretty much like Vista (which is a shame, as there is no option to make it look like XP).... everything seems to work ok...but I have to say, I was more excited about upgrading Win98 to XP...than I am about XP to Windows 7

I may well hold off, and see what Google's O/S is like (if and when they do it)

Dont get your hopes up on Google's. It's based on linux (probably meaning it is linux) and so it would be hardly any better than Ubuntu (which is actually quite good except for Flash player support and not much for 3d games). If you want to try something new in the meantime that isnt Windows and is free though, try Ubuntu.

thank you all for your comments. as far as i have red i will stick with 32 bit and give win7 a try. i don't think i do enough puterstuff for really need 64bits. i don't know what name my processor has, but i couldn't even oc it in bios even if i knew how, so i assume it might also be incompatible with 64bits. whatever. i think win7 deserves a chance.

thank you

jesus. exactly at 9 a.m. i was on amazon for the preorder to get win7 for 50€. server was down. obviously too much traffic. 3 minutes later the contingent was gone.

i'm glad it was only online. i've seen reports on tv when some electro markets open in some countries, and there is a stampede of people rushing through it from the moment the doors open. and they destroy everything, almost kill each other just to get a egg boiler 2 bucks cheaper... :no:

I pre-ordered 2 copies of Windows 7 for the wife's and my PCs. It is my understanding that both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions will be on the retail DVDs...

Edited by steve58