Sign in to follow this  
griphos

FOV

Well, the new patch has re-aroused a long curiosity for me. I've always wondered what "setting" in the virtual cockpit most replicates life. I've gotten to where I fly around a notch or two zoomed out and then zoom in a notch beyond where I started when I dogfight so I can see the enemy better.

On those LONG flights over the front, I constantly play around with these settings and look all around and over the side trying to figure out which setting most seems to replicate what I'd see in "real life" in these little cockpits. I've never been able to decide.

The new patch has brought this issue up again for me. So, guys (Winder, Pol, et al), which little numbers in the new FOV settings boxes did you intend to be "life size"?

Hey, griphos!

My approach to the right settings was this:

1. my highest screen resolution is 1280 x 1024 Pixel. That is an exact relationship of 5:4

2. I found, that the vertical setting of 20 degrees was fine.

3. so the horizontal setting had to be 25 degrees, to get it undistorted

With these settings, the view is very good, and the cockpit feels realistic to me.

Olham,

Can you calculate what the settings should be for a widescreen monitor?

Regards,

Vasco :pilotfly:

griphos,

From my little bit of expereince sitting in such planes as the SE5a, DV, and DR1, once you are strapped in tight the latest default FOV setting seems to be about right in terms of how far over the side you can lean.

Cheers!

Lou

Vasco, what's your resolution?

Olham,

Can you calculate what the settings should be for a widescreen monitor?

Regards,

Hi Vasco,

It's a basic ratio problem. You take you monitor's natural resolution (e.g. 1920x1200 which is what mine is) and you express it as a fraction:

1920/1200

Where 1920 is the horizontal component and 1200 is the vertical. So, if you want a vertical FOV of 20 degrees and you want the associated horizontal FOV then you have this equivalence ratio:

1920/1200 = x/20

Solving for x we get: 1920/1200 * 20 = 1.6 * 20 = 32

So, the FOV for that particular monitor would be 32 degrees horizontal x 20 degrees vertical.

Of course, you can start with either horizontal or vertical value you want and just do the basic algebra to solve for the other component.

Hope that makes sense!

<S>!

-mark

From my little bit of expereince sitting in such planes as the SE5a, DV, and DR1, once you are strapped in tight the latest default FOV setting seems to be about right in terms of how far over the side you can lean.

I would guess that your FOV settings should not affect how far over the side you can lean, as it doesn't (AFAIK) affect the limits of your head position.

Scout, it doesn't affect how far you can lean per se, but when you are sitting farther "in" the virtual cockpit which seems to be what is simulated in a tighter FOV, the edge of the cockpit effectively blocks some of your view as you attempt to lean over to look. Now, if you sit up higher as you lean you can then see as much as before, but if you were strapped in to your seat tight as our WW1 counterparts were, you could not really sit up much higher.

Cheers!

Lou

Olham,

1920x1200 - I think that's a 16:10 ratio.

Regards,

Well, HomeBoy showed it neatly calculated above for your size.

And yes, your ratio is 16:10 - so however you change one of the FOV numbers,

you should put the other into that relationship.

Well, HomeBoy showed it neatly calculated above for your size.

And yes, your ratio is 16:10 - so however you change one of the FOV numbers,

you should put the other into that relationship.

Hmm,

The FoV settings only go up to a maximum of 30 Horizontally and 20 vertically. 32/20 isn't achievable. Also, the minimum values won't allow a 16/10 ratio (min 20 Horitontally and 13 Vertically)

Edited by Vasco

Okay, then it would be 30:18 or 30:19 (exactly it would be 30 : 18.75; so rather 19).

We recommend the one that is in the boxes by default. 23/16. It feels close but the right size. Dial's are round etc.

TrackIR is essential.

CFS3 doesn't just zoom the view when it goes widescreen it adds more left and right for widescreen - leaving the previous vertical alone.

So just setting a 1.6:1 proportion may go screwy.

Anyway it's each to his own that one..

Thanks Pol.

I've got a new 24" 1920x1080 wide screen (the skin contest made me lust for one) and I think I've noticed the difference from the old monitor in terms of having more scenery on the side. I've certainly noticed the difference in size of everything (my old monitor was very small!). So THAT's what those enemy planes look like up close!!

Tsk. Tsk, Homeboy. we already went through this excercise and came up with 30 and 19. :biggrin: