Sign in to follow this  
Waldemar Kurtz

changing the names of pilots in squadron

so, if I'm joining the Lafayette Escadrille and don't really want to see tons of French names among the AI pilot roster-- would it be safe (or advisable) for me to go in and swap out the original data for the names and replace it with more 'American' sounding ones. I know with good 'ole RB3d that this was not a problem-- you could add hundreds of names (although it seemed to stop searching after about 200 names) for fun and variety.

anbody else tried this out?

Im no computer guru, but i found where i 'thought' the names were located in a txt file in the OFF folders. But when I changed them and saved it the names never changed. But i may not have been in the right place. :rolleyes:

hi,

there are two ways to change names.

one way is to simply go into your pilots dossier and overwrite the names of your current squadmates. but any new pilot who arrives will have french names again.

the other way ist to go to the pilots folder. there are two folders with textfiles inside for each country. one for first names, the other for last names.

i have saved the first and last names files in a backup folder and changed the german names to croation names, while i'm doing my jasta hajduk thing. you might do it with american names. i can change it anytime back to german names again.

what you also might do is simply save the french first and last name files somewhere, and then copy the first and last names textfiles from the american folder and paste it into the french one.

Good ideas, Creaghorn - I will add some friends names in the German folder.

Good ideas, Creaghorn - I will add some friends names in the German folder.

what i'll also try is to add many more german names. right now there are quite few compared to other countries, so you'll get pilots with the same name fairly often. i hope i'll not brake anything or it's limited. but it's only a textfile, so when i add 50 more last and first names, maybe it will work.

Good info and ideas here to share with all. I too have gone in and changed the names of pilots in my squadron in an effort to become more "invested" in my wingmates. Not that a fellow doesn't become invested pretty darned quick in this sim as it is after a few successful missions under his belt. :yes:

Creaghorn, let us know if adding more names to the list works for you. I would give that a go myself so as not to see the same ones popong up so often.

Cheers!

Lou