Sign in to follow this  
RAF_Louvert

Another Item for my Dardanelles Campaign

Good Morning All,

I spent some time last night browsing through the many OFF items available for download at Combat Flight Center and Sim Out House, (kid in a candy store), and a couple of the goodies I ran across were Corado La Posta's model of the WW2 carrier HMS Eagle and Captain Winter's rework of it into the WW1 carrier HMS Furious. After downloading the files and popping them into my ship folder I added it to my Short test mission and went in to check it out.

While you can use it as an operational platform at sea, that feature is a tad awkward due to issues of the landing elevation changing as you approach. However that aspect can be removed, and it will work very well as a stand-in for the HMS Ark Royal, which served in the Dardanelles in 1915, (first purpose-built aircraft carrier in the British fleet BTW). I landed the Short to starboard and pulled up next to the crane, which is how they managed the retrieval of the seaplanes assigned to the ship. Very neat.

It is amazing when you start to look how many additions you'll find specifically created over the last several years for this terrific sim.

Cheers!

Lou

OK! I'm sold. I have to have one. I went to the CombatAce>OFF>Downloads>Models, but I don't see the Short. Is it right under my nose (always possible) or in a different place?

ps: how did it get the "Folder" part of its name?

Edited by Hauksbee

Hauksbee, the Short is available at the Doves and Hawks website download section that was put together by stumpjumper.

Doves and Hawks Website

Just join as a website member and you will have access to the Short as well as other items currently being used for the MP meets. Very nice.

Also, the Short was called the "Folder" because the wings folded back for storage below deck in the ship.

Cheers!

Lou

Hauksbee, the Short is available at the Doves and Hawks website...

Also, the Short was called the "Folder" because the wings folded back for storage below deck in the ship.

Aha! Right path, wrong website. I've had Doves and Hawks bookmarked for some time. I guess now's the time to go ahead and join.

"...because the wings folded." Of course. Suddenly, the obvious becomes visible. (lol) Thanks.

The obvious is what so often escapes me entirely Hauksbee. I tend to have a lot of "DUH" moments. :biggrin:

Cheers!

Lou

LOL! I tried the same thing myself last night with a Camel uncleal. It is a bit unnerving to come in on final approach only to have the entire ship drop 30 feet into the ocean so the deck is now at sea level. After several attempts that all ended with my Sopwith and I getting very...umm...Soppy, I decided I could make better use of the carrier by disabling the "landing strip" feature and simply using it as a ship, and taxi my Short up to the winch and leave it at that. It will still work nicely in such a role as the HMS Ark Royal in the missions I am planning.

Cheers!

Lou

LOL! I tried the same thing myself last night with a Camel uncleal. It is a bit unnerving to come in on final approach only to have the entire ship drop 30 feet into the ocean so the deck is now at sea level. After several attempts that all ended with my Sopwith and I getting very...umm...Soppy, I decided I could make better use of the carrier by disabling the "landing strip" feature and simply using it as a ship, and taxi my Short up to the winch and leave it at that. It will still work nicely in such a role as the HMS Ark Royal in the missions I am planning.

Cheers!

Lou

It's quite easy to land on the deck,you just need to practice a few times and make sure that there is a sufficient headwind setup in the mission as well to help both take off and landing.....it can be done without the headwind but it is MUCH harder that way.

With regards to the landing, you just have to get into the habit of ignoring the fact that the deck suddenly drops (it's a CFS3 limitation as the code for carriers was never included, so the 2 LOD workaround was arrived at.....you can only have landing strips at the ground level in the game). I found the best technique was to approach on final aiming to land where the stern meets the water....yes it feels a bit odd coming in lower than the deck to begin with, but you soon get used to it.

I always found that landing on dry land aerodromes but landing across the strip was good practice for landing on the carrier.

HTH

Gandi

Thank you Gandi for the advise, much appreciated. I assumed as much last night as I was making my attempts, and I am sure that given a few more trys into the wind I could hit the mark. More for me though it is quite an immersion killer to have the ship drop like that. I realize it is a coding issue and this is the best solution available, and I am not complaining. However, I don't think I will utilize the carrier-landing feature in my missions.

Cheers!

Lou