Sign in to follow this  
Helmut_AUT

Do enemy aircraft "Air-Spawn" near you?

Hi all

In three consecutive campaign missions I've now been jumped by Camels. I'm scanning horizon left to right and left with my view hat, on "wide view", I look up, I look down, my head is constantly in motion (damn, need TrackIR). And suddenly I have a flight of enemy Sopwith Camels in firing range, to add insult to injury they often get my engine on the first head-on.

Is the game "spawning" these enemies near me in the air when I'm over the objective? Or am I just too stupid to see them in time? I had this only on occasion in IL-2 that the AI caught me unaware, but here in this sim its much worse for me.

Do zoom settings matter when you are looking around - can you see aircraft further when zoomed in?

thanks for the help

Helmut

They dont spawn at all - only on runways before taking off.

They are there - but if you are using your eyes to find them - you need a high res monitor and a trackIR ideally - with the trackir you can zoom in which is essential to spot them.

If you dont have these:

keep pressing the target keys T etc and use padlock

Order your wingies to engage air

Look on the Map

Use F6

Okay, so I'm really that stupid ;) Recently I complained that enemy aircraft always came with a Triple-A cloud around them and were too easy to see - obviously NOT if you are over their friendly area.

I run at 1920x1200, but I guess the zoom factor makes things better visible, maybe I shouldn't scan "wide view".

Map icons are disabled, and I don't want to "target-key-spam" - it's a nice challenge to get jumped by AI for once. I just wanted to make sure the game wasn't being unfair by spawning them midair on my six, as some games do.

Thanks for clarifying.

BTW, I guess this also explains why on the inbound leg to the front I don't usually find any random enemy fighters on my friendly side - since they are starting at their runway, they need enough time to fly over.

IL-2 does airspawns, which means you can get jumped by "ghosts" but also has the advantage that some enemy flights appear on your side of the front quickly after takeoff.

Edited by Helmut_AUT

I attempted to discuss some of this in your other thread. :smile:

This view thing is something I think is a fault in FE, but TK thinks it is better. RoF does this much better. FE does do many things very well and the community made modes is a huge thing TK's games offer.

Fault or not it is what it is. The alternative to using targeting aids is to manually "scan and zoom". The disadvantage to target boxes is the ~2nm distance the boxes appear. The advantage is that unless there is cloud cover you will always "find" the enemy. The advantage to using scan and zoom is you can see the enemy (the actual rendered A/C not a "sprite") at 2 or 3 times the distance the boxes will appear. Yes, it is awkward and disorienting and not easy to fly and look at the same time. IRL when when something is at the very edge of your vision you limit your FOV. Your eye does this by focusing. In game, your "focus" is the zoom key. You have to look at their attitude, plot their course, "look away" fly your plane then try and pick them up again where you think they are going to be. Once they get closer you can increase your FOV (use less zoom). As distances close it becomes progressively easier to fly and look. Of course your eye does this almost instantly and a game can't compete with the human body. However, I would think this system would work well with something like Track IR as you don't have to take your hand off the stick or fly or use the mouse with the off hand.

I will add that, as I don't have Track IR, I prefer the mouse look for extreme distances as its more "fluid" and you can fine tune your focus on specific areas. I suppose the point of all this is trying to inform people that you aren't necessarily stuck with an inadequate view system doesn't render A/C until they are too close. You aren't. You just have to work at it. The sim won't do it for you unless you are willing to accept the compromises and disavantages of "cheating". :wink:

Edited by Tailspin