Sign in to follow this  
Stary

Rookie with few questions

Hello,

I'm new to OFF:BHAH, but I played a little Phases 1 and 2 back in 2006 and 2007. Long time CFS 3 experience.

First, I'm very impressed by the amount and quality of work put into this simulation -previous installments are no indication of the Phase 3 experience! Thank you developers!

Also I'm very happy that some issues that are hard-coded are being constantly "cracked" -the use of no more supported CFS3 engine was holding me off at beginning.

There are few things I'd like to know:

1) view system -is it possible to pan the view with mouse? Can't afford TrackIR at the moment, hat switch isn't that useful (long habit of using mouse to do so)

2) claims -how long does it take to approve/reject them? my fellow pilots usually die on next or yet another flight :bad:

3) once in a squadron transfer my waypoints messed up, leading straight north off the map -might be because I've installed BHAH over Phase 2?

4) playing on 120% realism (auto mixture on) dead is dead caused errors few times ie. I was badly shoot and my crate exploded mid air, yet my pilot survived, next mission I emergency landed in fields, but banked to the left and shattered my wings at very low speed, pilot killed (Se5a Viper)

5) serving for France in mid 1916, I had several (four or five now) flights without a single contact (flying Bebe in Alsace)

All the above in OFF 1.31L, Phase 3 installed ontop of Phase 2.

Cheers,

Stary

1) TrackIR is a must-have - save for it, sell your TV and goldfish, whatever - all else is not the 'real feel'.

2) claims take several days. So if you have three sorties per day, you need to survive a little longer to get confirms.

4) funny things like thatn tend to happen - sometimes to your advantage, some not.

5) real action begins late 1916, but if you like it to rock, serve in 1918 - sometimes so crowded, you need a guide (Lol!)

PS: don't know about the mouse.

Edited by Olham

1) TrackIR is a must-have - save for it, sell your TV and goldfish, whatever - all else is not the 'real feel'.

2) claims take several days. So if you have three sorties per day, you need to survive a little longer to get confirms.

4) funny things like thatn tend to happen - sometimes to your advantage, some not.

5) real action begins late 1916, but if you like it to rock, serve in 1918 - sometimes so crowded, you need a guide (Lol!)

PS: don't know about the mouse.

thanks Olham, I read in the FAQ about the lack of action in 1916, opposite to mid 1917 -survived two flight: transfer,transfer, killed on takeoff by enemy during scramble :blink:

thanks uncleal, I fly with labels off, just at the start of flight I padlock flightleader, helps maintain formation (Target Display also off for surprise of course)

Stary, scrambles are much debated here. Some don't do them at all. Others check first,

what type of craft, and only scramble, when they are two-seaters.

Me, I always scramble - and get quite often shot down (Lol!)

Stary - may I add you to our OFF pilots map Europe?

Stary - may I add you to our OFF pilots map Europe?

Surely,

Krynica-Zdrój, Poland :good:

One tactic I use for srambles is to delay take-off. As I wait the e/a descend thus giving up some altitude advantage. They also spread out and are showing thier tails more to my advantage. I know delaying take-off is counter intuitive but maybe give it a try.

Okay, this is kind of weird reading about all these scrambles and whether to fly them or not. I've flown my share of campaign missions since Phase 3 first came out and I have never ONCE had a scramble mission. Is it just me? Is it perhaps the squadrons I'm flying in or the time of the war (always fairly early as I never live that long)? Anyone else not getting these missions? They sound kind of fun to me.

Griphos, I get scrambles quite often. It doesn't seem to depend on the squadron or its quality or aggressiveness, unlike patrol mission seem to do. Heck, I've even seen one as a bomber pilot (Strutter). No, I didn't take off on that occasion, even though the Strutter is great. :yes:

Hello,

just about those views in OFF .. those were one big argument for me not to buy OFF at first, this Coolie hat view is awkward, and the other vanill MS-set views are also unpractical to say at least, but you can at least adjust the views and all other sim settings to your liking via the "mine.xla" file.

As some of you will remember the views in RedBaron3d were also strange, but one got accustomed to it after some time. You had to press a certain button of the joystick, and swing around the view with the joystick, not able to control the plane during this. But i read some two years ago (?) that someone named "Lasergabi" (was this the name?) had indeed invented a program or inserted some code to use the mouse for use in RB3d, like in IL2. So if this was possible there it might also be in OFF, or so i hope. Maybe some programmer will find out and do this at some time for OFF :wink:

Thanks and greetings,

Catfish

Griphos - a scramble mission is assigned that way, that you wouldn't get a flight path in your mission briefing,

but just a dot at your field position. When you "go to field", you sit in your crate, while above your field the

enemy is either flying by, or circling, or mostly diving steep down on you.

Very dangerous - and a lot of fun! If you never had them, you should change your Squad, perhaps.

Or write to OFF support, cause something maybe wrong there?

Edited by Olham

So if this was possible there it might also be in OFF, or so i hope. Maybe some programmer will find out and do this at some time for OFF :wink:

I was thinking exactly the same... maybe some background pointer tool with paning keys binded to mouse axis movement? There's that nice 4-dof mod for IL2 AFAIK