Sign in to follow this  
Mike_Toth

This Sim and music is just fantastic......

Just got BHAH a week or so ago after being totally turned off by Rise of FLight... that was probabaly the best thing that could have happened.

This sim is just fantastic... I so love the musical score they've added. I watch the intro video every time I play and listen to that wonderful muscial score.

Hi Mike! Welcome to the OFF BH&H forum and the world of OFF. I am so glad you are enjoying your stick time and the intro is classic isn't it? This sim is as great and it is is only getting better. I'm sure you are all patched-up and have been reading OFF TIPS and Cheats and so forth. In case you don't know additional planes are in developement. Please share your thoughts about the sim and ask any questions that you can't find answers for. Let Olham know where you live so he can put you on the map. Enjoy and Cheers to you mate! :drinks:

I so love the musical score they've added. I watch the intro video every time I play and listen to that wonderful muscial score.

I know what you mean. If I flew any other WW1 flight sim I'd have to play the OFF theme first to get me in the mood. You can download a hi-fi version of it here: Hymn to the Fallen Pilots of Flanders. Check out some of Matt Milne's other music as well while you're there. The man has real talent.

Hey Thanks a lot for the warm welcome guys.. been simming for many many years but this is just classic... classic..

btw I live outside of Cleveland Ohio USA.....

I've posted this before, worth repeating:

This is the first sim I've ever played where I didn't turn the music off after a couple of days. I still have it on and still loving it!

I can see why.... not to poo-poo Rise of Flight, but I feel this sim was done the right way... totally immersive.... soooo many kites to fly and so little time.. looks like I'll be transitioning from an F-105 ( I have WOV YAP2 which is awesome as well)... to a SPAD...

nice

Wow I didnt realize I joined so long ago (the forum) my member number is 68... go figure- ha)

Edited by Mike_Toth

The Spad you say. She's a tough one, good luck. Takes a real pilot but something tells me you are up to it.

Welcome to the OFF squadron mess, Mike - you're going to love this sim. Like you say, the music is superb. In fact the many sounds in the game, from dogs barking in the distance, to rain beating on your wings while you sit waiting for takeoff, are fantastically immersive and just one of the many indications of the detail the devs put into the sim. They did it right, from the ground up. Enjoy.

...and good luck with that Spad. To judge from my experiences, you'll need it :biggrin:

CW

Welcome, Mike - I'll put you on the map on the next update.

I have nothing to add to your excitement - I see you are the "right stuff" to recognise the quality.

(If you find the SPAD too hard to fly, but still want to 'boom and zoom' fight, I would lend you one

of my beloved Albatros - most beautiful craft, best view, and TWO Spandaus!)

Welcome, Mike, you couldn't have made a better choice. OFF is wonderful - I've been playing it for months now and there's no sign of me becoming bored with it. That is something that happens VERY rarely with computer games, at least to me.

Before getting serious with the Spad, I think you'd best wait for the next patch, which will improve their flight models. Then it should be more enjoyable to fly those powerful French monsters.

Olham, don't forget that the Spad XIII also has two machine-guns, making it more effective in boom and zoom tactics than the Spad VII. :yes:

Thanks again for the warm welcome. Like I mentioned before, I started flight simming back when Microprose created F-17 Stealth Fighter.. I think I own

every flight sim out there since. A few years back when OFF was in beta I downloaded that first free version as I had CFS3 in my collection. Well it hammered my PC, Blue screens, re-boots you name it. So it left a sour taste in my mouth... But - I have been following the development cycle (I'm a software developer by

trade) and have seen some remarkable accomplishments with each release. That and the fact I really wanted to get a WW1 sim, made me give it another go...

Hence - I'm hooked now.... :wink:

:pilotfly:

Edited by Mike_Toth

BUMP!

Just to get Matt's music on the front page again... and because I think it's a fitting soundtrack to remember Messrs. Allingham and Patch by. Harry's funeral is next week, hope he gets as good a send off as Henry did.

Hi Mike, welcome to OFF

Glad you're enjoying it

Been quite intrigued since I saw your name on the map, Cleveland/Toledo area?

You see, I sit next to a "Mike Toth" every day at lunchtime

Asked him if he had a son/relative in Ohio but he said "No"

Any relatives in the Danbury, CT area?

Or maybe another meaning all together different?

Cheers,

The Spad is too tough for me. I'm looking forward to the new FM the devs are giving it in the next super patch. Lower stall speed, I believe and hopefully a little better turning power. As for me, I love the sopwith Triplane, twin gun version. I hear only 6 of them were every made. Obviously that isn't correct because I've crashed at least 30 of them. :haha:

Anyways, welcome aboard. You'll find plenty of variety in planes, missions and overall experiences in BHaH.

Hellshade

when you marry a great sim with some original music, you usually can please, lol.

off's doing great, and we seem to be attracting people put off by rof as well, which is amazing really, a strong selling point, lol.

thanks for the comments guys, yes 'hymn to the fallen pilots of flanders' is what i'm calling it for now. which is in part recognition of the poem "in flanders fileds" and also a humble tip-of-the-hat, to john williams' incredible "hymn to the fallen" from spielberg's ww2 film: "saving private ryan".

Edited by matt milne

The only bad part about this music is after flying a couple of missions and spending the time to review them, etc. I get that music in my head such that I'm humming it for the rest of the evening and even while I'm trying to go to sleep. Pretty sad.

Well, Homeboy, this is rare for me as I don't usually listen to music while doing something else,

but rather with some concentration on the music: Matt's OFF Music still sounds fresh after hearing it

so many times. It fits very well, and doesn't have 'false' moments in it - it became part of the whole

great feeling "Between Heaven and Hell" generates in me. Thanks again, Matt!

Well, Homeboy, this is rare for me as I don't usually listen to music while doing something else,

but rather with some concentration on the music: Matt's OFF Music still sounds fresh after hearing it

so many times. It fits very well, and doesn't have 'false' moments in it - it became part of the whole

great feeling "Between Heaven and Hell" generates in me. Thanks again, Matt!

Well said sir! I wholeheartedly concur.

Just to add to what everyone else has said, I find the music in OFF so evocative of the era, somewhat sad and military as befits the time, but at least it doesn't make me shed a tear like Elgar's Cello Concerto which was written in 1918 by a very saddened man.

The music adds to the overall feeling of the sim, or the immersion as some put it. I think this is the BEST money I have spent on ANY software of any description, EVER. As I am still in 1915 in my trusty BE2c (or many serial BE2c's I should say) it will take me until about 2020 to get to the SE5a in 1918. And by 2020 I will have learnt how to fly...

lol, that's the general idea.

i think the wonderful thing about off is that it came out at the perfect economic juncture. At this point in time people are looking for a product, one product, that's gonna give them years of mielage. they're not wanting a limited game with a handful of planes that they have to keep paying to update, they want something solid that they pay for once that they can then play for a couple of years without buying anything else.

most of the computer games on the market at the moment cost 50-60 bucks and can be completed in 24 hours. off costs much less, and could take years to play through properly.

Granted its graphics engine is 6 years old, but i've been checking the others and they've all got background/model contrast issues that sometimes make them look more cartoonish than off.

yes there may be some small problems, but it outshines most of the others in the market, on absolutely everything else.

I'm hoping phase 4 will be on a different engine, with a different name. original, and full scale, so i can write a full score. Something we could take the industry by storm with, lol.

"I'm hoping phase 4 will be on a different engine, with a different name. original, and full scale, so i can write a full score."

<drops to knees and starts praying to deities he doesn't believe exist>

I'm hoping phase 4 will be on a different engine, with a different name. original, and full scale, so i can write a full score. Something we could take the industry by storm with, lol.

:shok: ...Do you know somthing we don't?