Sign in to follow this  
don246

My FE wish

Quite simply a new realistic terrain. Then we will have a WW1 sim to rival ROF. Ok the Flanders is not bad in fact it's very good BUT.

The problem with terrians like Flanders is it doesn't look much like French and Belgian farmland during WWI. Cultivated fields in those areas back then were generally long and rectangular and almost grid like. Broken up only by roads and natural barriers like woodlands, rivers, streams, etc. TK's terrain could stand improvement in those details for sure, but overall the stock terrain is not as far from "authentic" as some people seem to think. Look at actual aerial photos taken during the War and you will see what I'm takinig about. JMHO based on those photos.

Edited by Tailspin

My big wish for FE is for TK to fix the horizon "fog"/ distance issue. Thats just plain ugly and very distracting. :rolleyes:

Tailspin

I have to agree with you that Edward's Flanders Terrain Tiles are a bit busy but they do have a 3-D look about them like what the ground as I might imagine would appear from the air - I mean the photo realistic appearance that is. Didn't Edward adapt his tiles set from the set of terrain tiles from a version of M$ Fight Simulator? The terrain tiles that Jan Tuma is building are spectacular. I can hardly wait to get a hold of his promised terrains for the all the fronts. TK's terrain just doesn't have the shadow detail that gives terra firma the feel of immersion that Edward's photo realistic tiles portray. If TK's tiles had the strips of crops that we see in the period aerial photos and if the stands of trees bordering the forests cast shadows on the ground to simulate a 3-D feel, that would be a great improvement.

I have discovered that the Cambria terrain tiles are a super set. TK has built all the default terrains by using most of these in the Verdun terrain. I tryed to apply the Flanders tiles to Verdun and Cambria but discover there are many missing tiles in Edward's set representing the grasslands and the grasslands borders. I started to build the missing tiles by modifying the Flanders tiles into visually acceptable substitutes for the missing ones using Paintshop Pro. But I did not realize the enormity of the task. That project is currently setting on a back burner await me to get inspired again to complete the work. Panama Red has expressed some interest in attacking the task. I have not spoken with him recently to see if he has made any process.

OlPaint01

Edited by OlPaint01

WOW!!!!

Jan Tuma's tileset looks REALLY great!!

Edited by Cagallon

For me to come back to FE the online problems must be fixed and the view to see planes must be much better. As of now they just kind of appear way to suddenly. Not only should the ground look good how the planes interact with the ground must be better. No more going underground please.

My main wish is possibility to make video tracks on the game engine. Even "ancient" simulators like "Battlehawks" and "Knights of the skies" from middle of 80s and worked on 286-processors have that possibility! Even great Howard Hughes ("Hell Angels") couldn't make good track f.e. with FRAPS directly from screen.

For me to come back to FE the online problems must be fixed and the view to see planes must be much better. As of now they just kind of appear way to suddenly. Not only should the ground look good how the planes interact with the ground must be better. No more going underground please.

Since Thirdwire has dropped multiplayer entirely from its latest versions of the series, I doubt that you will get that wish....at least in the game's current iteration. TK did mention a series of "dedicated" multiplayer sims but it sounds like that will be a new development and not integral with present games. The view system is what it is. It works fairly well if you learn to use it as it was designed.

New/updated terrain engine -but it's on my wishlist for every TK's title...

Also more life on the ground, some trucks, wagons, troops, tents and so on. Railways network. Played OFF:BHAH too much few past days :wink:

Edit: having the fog moved back, and maybe manning gunner position, would be cool too

Edited by Stary

I've looked at aerial photos of the areas, including the front lines and the stock terrain in FE is not far of reality. The issues are that it needs more variation and more objects like houses, farms, roads. Plus it needs a bit more variation in color and the stock green colour I don't like much.

... Plus it needs a bit more variation in color and the stock green colour I don't like much.

Milkweg,

I agree with you. TK's Summer and Winter season tiles are BLAH!!!

If you haven't already try this FE terrain set by Flyguy LINK It isn't perfect, but if you can overlook the small defects, it has a really warm feeling and reminds me of those old airplane post cards. I use this tile set as a replacement for Spring and is a favourite season to fly for me, well, maybe after Winter :wink: I've been meaning to fix some of those bugs in it...

I then use TK's Spring tiles, which are quite nice and verdant, as a substitute for Summer. Try it out for variety.

@ TAILSPIN

Thanks for links, some of those images really do look like the FE terrain, but others really show the variety that is in any real world country side. There just isn't any way to replicate that variety and keep the number of tiles manageable.

OFF BHAH terrain is a nice change or break for variety (and kinda looks like what Jan Tuma is working on), but the OFF tiles have some serious flaws. I HATE the rivers for one, but man, they have some VERY NICE trees to crash into!!! OFF plays much better down low.

Edited by B Bandy RFC

Another problem with the limited number of tiles and adding a lot of detail to them is, IMHO, it tends to "highlight" the repetition of those tiles throughout the landscape. BLAH means your eye isn't attracted to the ground. That tends to take your attention away from the repestition. However, that doesn't mean of good artist (don't look at me :biggrin: ) couldn't make some real improvements to the stock terrain. Max 188 does a good job of enhancing the stock terrain. Since roads and rivers are basically the only things that break up that repetition we need more roads and perhaps more details along the edges of roads, rivers, and transitional areas between fields, woods, and open grasslands. It would also be nice to have some "real" trees...at least around airfields. Of course not having a clue when it comes to terrain mapping and building I don't know how much is possible to accomplish. It is possible to enhance ground "activity" with object placement and thats something that needs doing. If I could find one of those "round tuits".... :biggrin:

Hey Tailspin

What happened to Gepard? He built the Vogesen Terrain Mod, right? I thought that his terrain is the calibre of terra furma that impressed me. Last time I heard tell of him, he was building a special terrain mod for WOI. Do you know how to contact him? Maybe we as a group could persuade him to spend some more time in FE.

And Panama Red has expressed some interest in building enhanced terrain tiles. I even myself tryed my hand at it, but I got discouraged trying to learn how to use all the tools. There are .BMP, .TOD, and .TGA files that must be built to show all the details of trees, roads, rivers and structures. I know at least three ppl that are willing to do the grunt work if just someone would take the time to teach us the ropes.

What about the old RB3D terrain modders? Have any of those excellent designers migrated over to FE yet? Like Rabu for his Over the Edge terrain, and even Kess of Promised Land fame. Talk about squeezing every last detail out of a flat tile, those guys are experts.

OlPaint01

Edited by OlPaint01

Gepard is still around. You can find him posting on the Thirdwire WOx boards. Jan Tuma's terrain is looking very good. Its different enough from the MFS/CFS style terrains to interest me anyway. Although the MFS type terrain is still popular I guess I'm just tired of flying over that particular style if you know what I mean. Not that it doesn't look good its just not "different" to me anymore. I think some of the RB3D guys went to OFF. Panama Red is here helping out though. The community would welcome anyone I think. Its not like there is a rivalry or competition...at least I don't see it that way.

Milkweg,

I agree with you. TK's Summer and Winter season tiles are BLAH!!!

If you haven't already try this FE terrain set by Flyguy LINK It isn't perfect, but if you can overlook the small defects, it has a really warm feeling and reminds me of those old airplane post cards.

I`ve used that terrain mod in the past and should instal it again in the Cambrai folder but for Verdun I use a terrain tile set that is borrowed from Microsft Flightsim.

I think that since the Terrains are endlessly modable and so many of you guys have been working so hard at them, I think TK will leave it to use to get them the way we want them. Which isnt a bad thing. The Horizon Lines have to be fixed thats for sure. That solid line that cuts across the sky has to go. I think we are all in agreement on that. There are a bunch of environmental mods to help eliminate this. But nothing is perfect when you try to overwrite the the original system files. Sometimes it appears and sometimes it doesntdntknw.gif .

Now for my wish, we definitely need an Enemy Selection screen for the Single Mission section. We need to be able to select our opponent for certain maps and we should be able to select which custom skins to use for them. There're so many skins to choose from now it's a shame that they cant be utilized in single missions. In the "Loadout Screen" there should be a section for "Enemy Flight". Having Italian S.V.A.5's and Austrian Hansa B's showing up at random over Cambria or Flanders fighting SE5a's and F2b's bugs me sooo much. Just as an example, but Im sure you all know what I mean. I should be able to select up to 16 aircraft for my Squadron or Jasta and select the skins for each aircraft (which we can do now), as well as being able to select up to 16 aircraft on the opposing side with skin options. That's my wishok.gif . That would really add to the realism of this sim in my opinion. It cant be that hard to do. It probably could be added as a patch rather than waiting for a new Expansion Pack. I wonder if we (or someone who knows how this stuff works) could create it our selves. Or it's probably something thats locked in the game code.dntknw.gif I dont know, what ever, I starting to think out loudblink.gif . Anyway thats what I would like.

@Quack74:

I totally agree with you! :yes:

I´m also getting angree when i have to fight against this always identical-looking planes. When the enemy squadrons would use all different skins, I would get the feeling to fight against a "more realistic Flying Circus".

For the first time it would be a nice improvement, when the skins for the AI-planes would be choosen randomly by the game. (this wouldn´t be more realistic, but better-looking)

Greetings!

...but for Verdun I use a terrain tile set that is borrowed from Microsft Flightsim.

Really?...Please tell us more.

@Quack74:

I totally agree with you! :yes:

I´m also getting angree when i have to fight against this always identical-looking planes. When the enemy squadrons would use all different skins, I would get the feeling to fight against a "more realistic Flying Circus".

For the first time it would be a nice improvement, when the skins for the AI-planes would be choosen randomly by the game. (this wouldn´t be more realistic, but better-looking)

Greetings!

I agree with both of you! Selecting enemy skins and having random enemy skins generated would be a GREAT addition! Pick a fight with a full Squadron/Jasta, or better yet, have a surprise run-in with an ace!

Hey Quack!

Just saw your post over at the ThirdWire site. You made your point well, and with any luck, TK might just consider it...

Good on ya, man. :good: