Sign in to follow this  
633squad

Henry Allingham

And the last one has passed beyond the sight of men.

At the going down of the sun,

And in the morning

We will remember them.

And the last one has passed beyond the sight of men.

At the going down of the sun,

And in the morning

We will remember them.

Not quite the last. Harry Patch is still alive at 111. I feel even more sympathy for him now than I did when I read his autobiography. Awful, sorrowful, burden - to be the very last.

It's amazing to think there are still people left who have actually experienced the First World War. For a human being to live that long - it's almost like a miracle. But it must also be very sad to know you're one of the last of your generation - a generation that did great things and soon will be no more. :salute:

Truly a hero, God rest his soul.

R.I.P :salute:

Hi ,

This is sad news , never met the man although he came to my station some years ago . I read his book and i found it very interesting and the character of the man shone through . I only hope that with the passing of men and women like him that we dont forget the stories and what they went through , as this is so easily done when there isnt a person there to tell you face to face . Shame to see him pass away but at 113 yrs old his led a long life and i think he'd agree a good life . So fair well Henry you may be gone but not forgotten , and if there is a heaven i bet theres a hell of a reunion party going on right now :yes: .

Mungo

Henry Allingham, the oldest surviving serviceman from the First World War & oldest man in the world, has died at the age of 113, his care home has said.

Mr Allingham served with the Royal Naval Air Service during the Great War, later transferring to the Royal Air Force and serving at Ypres & was also the last survivor of the battle of Jutland.

He died peacefully in his sleep.

A True hero in every sense of the word.... may he rest in peace.

Edited by Tonyo - legion

A True hero in every sense of the word.... may he rest in peace.

It's good to see that, after he broke his self-imposed silence, a grateful nation heaped honors upon him, rather than waiting to speak at graveside.

It's good to see that, after he broke his self-imposed silence, a grateful nation heaped honors upon him, rather than waiting to speak at graveside.

I find it odd in a way that those that refused to talk about the war earlier in their lives have turned out to be the longest living survivors from the conflict.

I personally am happy that both Harry Patch and Henry Allingham after hearing about Harry Patch's book have both had their memoirs (or should it be autobiographies) written. Both of which are well worth reading.

I am glad also that he was around for the 90th anniversary of the RAF.

May he rest in peace.