Sign in to follow this  
jack72

Why does my plane's engine always cut out above 10,000 feet

So far everytime I Warp and the come out and I am above 10,000 feet, my plane's engine will quit. I try and hit E to restart but get a message that it fails. I then try and manual start with hiting Shift S continuosly but it will only restart 50% of the time.

This engine failure always happens everytime I hit warp and ctl x to get out of the warp. Is there a way to fix this.

Your mixture it too rich. Assign a button to decrease mixture, and keep pressing it until the engine picks back up.

Your mixture it too rich. Assign a button to decrease mixture, and keep pressing it until the engine picks back up.

Better yet an axis if you have one that's not being used.

I assign to a joystick button and then use the "repeater" slide in the controls menu to allow me to hold down the buttons to lean and enrich as I need. At that height your mixture will be very lean-- perhaps only a couple steps above cut.

Set mixture lower before you warp..

I have had this happen at least 2 times, WITH auto mixture on. I dive to get some speed, hit E to restart engine, and usually after a few attempts I'll get it going, tho

sometimes I cant maintain RPMs.

Then I check the map head for my lines and find a field/base to land in.

Yep dive some, start engine, and whilst diving some lower mixture quickly to catch it, with a bit of practice you can restart whilst high.

Well, to answer your question more simpy......."There's no air....up there." :rofl:

ZZ.

Or very very little....to be more precise.

Well, to answer your question more simpy......."There's no air....up there." :rofl:

ZZ.

Or very very little....to be more precise.

I am not a meteorologist but I believe that it would be more accurate to say that there is less air pressure up there at 10,000 ft.

I found this:-

The atmosphere extends above the Earth's surface 100,000 ft, and generally remains consistent, with a 78% nitrogen/21% oxygen mixture to about 70,000 ft. Above that, it becomes more a mixture of helium and other gases. This being the case, and because the highest elevation we find on Earth is about 30,000 ft, we can't really say that oxygen decreases with height.

However, what does decrease with height is air pressure. At sea level, the pressure of the atmosphere is 14.7 pounds per square inch (psi). At 18,000 feet the pressure is 7.34 psi. By 34,000 feet, the pressure is reduced to one-half the value at the 18,000 foot level (3.62 psi). It is this reduction in pressure (or in other words, the less dense air) that causes hypoxia, a condition during which the pressure in the blood is not sufficient enough to deliver oxygen to the brain.

The barometric pressure at 10,000 ft is ~670 mb. Meteorologists often use the following scale when describing specific altitudes. For instance, they will say, "The freezing level is at 850 mb."

1000 mb ~ 360 feet (110 m)

850 mb ~ 5000 feet (1500 m)

700 mb ~ 10,000 feet (3000 m)

500 mb ~ 18,000 feet (5400 m)

250 mb ~ 34,000 feet (10,200 m)

E & OE

best

nio

Now THATS much more precise! :yes:

ZZ.