Sign in to follow this  
Cyph3r

Modding the X52

Someone asked for a guide on how I did this, so here it is:

So I've had the X52 since the christmas after it's release, and it's been OK at best. Not brilliant.

The MAJOR issue I had with the X52 (which is what I fixed) was that there's a hardware deadzone on the stick. Owners of the X52 will know what Im on about but for those who don't, heres a post from the someone in the Saitek Forums:

X-52-01.jpg

moved with one finger (this will NOT send any signal into the game)

X-52-02.jpg

the space difference

X-52-04.jpg

Yep, that's like 11 degrees of movement where NOTHING is detected. And in IL2 1946 (which is all I play really) I found this unacceptable, it was hard to line up on targets becuase you had to move the stick ~15 degrees to make a tiny movement in game.

So I took it apart to have a look inside and this is what you get:

LGIM0016.jpg

The small green PCB at the top is the hall sensor for the Y-axis which detects movements via nearby magnets. (The hall sensor of the X-axis is to the right, you can barely see it in the photo)

At first the magnets were mounted on this doodad:

LGIM0018.jpg

As well as the magnets on the inside, there were a further 2 magnets glued on each side which were removed before I took this photo.

So as you can guess, there was a big distance between the magnets and the sensor, and I think this is the cause of the hardware deadzone, becuase you had to move the stick quite alot before the magnets came in range of the sensor. Ridiculous design Saitek!

So I took off the magnets glued to the side of the magnets mounting and I got 2 of the magnets, stuck them together, and mounted them on the plate DIRECTLY beneath the sensor (you could use blu-tack, double sided sticky tape ect ect) this is what I got:

LGIM0015.jpg

You'll notice I got rid of the old magnets mount altogether - it's useless.

So with the magnets MUCH closer to the sensor I hoped this would solve the issues. Obviously I did this same procedure to the X-axis aswell.

Now, I didn't attach the base of the joystick just yet, becuase we've moved the magnets they won't quite be centered, so I plugged the joystick into my PC and loaded up the calibration window for the stick, and checked to see if it was centered, if it wasn't, I just nudged the magnets around until it was.

When it was centered I unplugged the joystick from my pc, screwed the base back together, and replugged the stick back into my PC to test.

And whats this! Even TINY 1 degree movements on the stick are detected, no more deadzone!

Loaded up IL2 for a quick test and wow! It's so much nicer to use.

So yeah, I just thought I'd post this up in case anyone would like to improve their X52. Sorry that the pictures aren't that clear but someone requested them after I'd done the mod.

But I'll be more than happy to answer anyones questions.

Im have ordered mine and it should be here tomorrow. I CANT WAIT!!! so i havent tested it out yet but i have used them at other places they seem to work fine there when i get mine im gunna giv it 1 test then, if im not satisfied i will make that mod. thanx for the info.

Im have ordered mine and it should be here tomorrow. I CANT WAIT!!! so i havent tested it out yet but i have used them at other places they seem to work fine there when i get mine im gunna giv it 1 test then, if im not satisfied i will make that mod. thanx for the info.

No problem, but EVERY X52, and X52 has this problem, it's just the way Saitek has designed it, the large center deadzone doesn't bother some people, but with people like me and people who like precision, it's just massively annoying.

I'd recommend either returning the X52 and got a CH Products stick and throttle, or DEFINATELY do this mod. That's if the deadzone bothers you of course.

HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!! I have got my X52 and its amazing i dont think that there is a deadzone, although i do have the X52 pro. HELP ALL the buttons on the stick have a mind of there own and they very rarely work or they are constantly on!!!PLEASE HELP!!!thanks.

Edited by Wellsprop

HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!! I have got my X52 and its amazing i dont think that there is a deadzone, although i do have the X52 pro. HELP ALL the buttons on the stick have a mind of there own and they very rarely work or they are constantly on!!!PLEASE HELP!!!thanks.

Sounds like you need the proper drivers.

@ Cyph3r, Any ideas how to stiffen it up any? I like mine well enough but for me it just feels like it's too light. I thought about spacers in the spring that is abound the base of the shaft to apply more pressure to stiffen the feel. Any other ideas out there on this isssue?

@ Cyph3r, Any ideas how to stiffen it up any? I like mine well enough but for me it just feels like it's too light. I thought about spacers in the spring that is abound the base of the shaft to apply more pressure to stiffen the feel. Any other ideas out there on this isssue?

you know the spools that blank CDs and such come on? well I got the plastic lid and cut a circle from the top, placed it inbetween the base of the stick and the top of the spring, then added 2 foam spacers on the top and bottom of the piece of plastic i put on. this adds quite abit of stiffness and doesnt reduce the range of detection.

try using a longer and or harder spring......u can buy them off ebay really cheap

try using a longer and or harder spring......u can buy them off ebay really cheap

Thx, I'll look. @ Cyph3r, any pics?