Sign in to follow this  
Mike Dora

Longbow 2 v2.09

I'm trying to get LB2 to run on my new (XP SP3) system, using the advice at Speichts.com install guide. This tells me to upgrade the install to v2.09, but I don't seem to be able to do this. Every time I try, my MacAfee virus checker quarantines the patched LB2.exe file because of a detected Trojan. I've tried several different sources for the patch, to no avail.

So, can anyone tell me where to find a "clean" LB2 v2.09 patch, or better still, can anyone copy me a clean, v2.09 updated LB2.exe file?

Thanks

Mike

My question is--is the file really infected, or is this just another AV false alarm?

I remember one update to AVG once quarantined my long-installed FEAR.exe for no good reason. A bad virus sig update was the culprit. In a couple of days another update cured the problem.

Try disabling Mcafee and scan with another program temporarily to see if it's real or just all in Mc's head.

My question is--is the file really infected, or is this just another AV false alarm?

I remember one update to AVG once quarantined my long-installed FEAR.exe for no good reason. A bad virus sig update was the culprit. In a couple of days another update cured the problem.

Try disabling Mcafee and scan with another program temporarily to see if it's real or just all in Mc's head.

OK, fixed it by doing the upgrade on a different machine, then copying the whole LB2 package over to the home desktop. Now it works, all I have to do now is work out the controls and see if I can update the graphics.

Mike

Dude,

I'd love to play LB2 again.

1. Where could I find it?

and

2. Would it work with Vista?

I've actually been playing it on my laptop running XP

Lucky I just found a driver to get my old Microsoft Sidewinder 2 joystick programmable again.

however the old game doesn't recognize my throttle :(

I've tried many advices and fixes to run LB2 on newer OS's, but nothing worked for me.

Finally, I managed to run it without any problems on virtual PC, using Oracle VirtualBox:

https://www.virtualbox.org/

Be sure to read all tutorial in full, they explain everything you need to set up VPC running Win98:

https://forums.virtualbox.org/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=89dbe000e7921c3fe43317b6fd5bc795

AV8R joystick is working OK, will try few more if time permits.

My install of LB2 v2.09 runs OK on my XP OS. It's still great fun to fly this oldie but goldie.

I'm having a very difficult time getting Jane's LB2 to run on Win 7x64.  I can get to the main screen, but most of the selectable choices (buildings on the screen) are somehow disabled, except for the main building and the bunkroom, where pilot selection is made.  I got rid of the weird psychedelic screens by using D3W Windower (wrapper) program, but I'm stuck at this point.  Any advice would be much appreciated.

RIBob