Sign in to follow this  
Racer_Rob

How to identify an airbase?

Hi,

I was flying a mission in a campaign yesterday, which didn't exactly go to plan, got involved in some dogfights and ended up being very low on fuel. So I contacted AWACS to divert to the nearest field (which was not the same as the divert field in the mission briefing) as I approched the field though I didn't know how to contact them to request a landing as AWACS don't tell you the name of the field they divert you to. Is it right that if you have the name you can look up the channel number (on that chart the comes up in the 2D cockpit if you keep looking down) enter the number in the pannel to your left and contact the tower?

So how do you contact the tower of an airbase you don't know the name of?! :blink:

Cheers

You need to dial in your TACAN - which is a bit more than a few sentences on here im afraid - Firstly you need to go over practise mission 10 - and get familiar with it - this will give you some understanding so you can search some threads at frugals and take it from there really. - you may get lucky and find a tutorial about somewhere.

What I usually do is look over the map in the mission selector before I take off. Ill write down all the airfields TACAN Channel that i will be flying over and contact the closest one if needed

I "look down" 3 times in the pit to bring up the entire theatre tacan list. Dial in one close to you... turn towards it... request emergency landing at 10 miles out.... land.

Hag