Sign in to follow this  
DukeIronHand

Reason for screen name....

Looking at Olham's map reminded me.

I am always curious about the reasons people choose their screen names.

I have had mine (among several) for years.

Had an old jet flight sim (USNF?) that had pre-assigned call signs for your pilot that you chose from.

Well, I always picked "Duke" (a John Wayne thing I guess) but it was not long enough for whatever forum I was on at the time so I added "IronHand" because Anti-air suppression is my favorite mission type in jet sims.

I try to keep just a couple of names so I can remember the darned things.

What made you choose your name?

Well, im a scouser (person from liverpool) and im a lad, and i was 13 at the time i came up with it, so yeah

Scouserlad13 =)

My family name - backwards. (Nothing to do with the English "Oldham", Pol)

Nickname coined for me at college when I was seventeen by my best mate because I didn't like any of the usual short forms of my christian name. It's the name by which I'm generally known now.

My screen name has been called "racist" by some but really isn't meant to be derogatory in any way. Cameljockey, in this case, is someone who flies a Sopwith Camel. :biggrin:

from the main character of a novel i'm currently writing. it's not finished yet because of time issues (about 500 pages so far, and reached just about half of my storyline, but so far so good. just a hobby anyway). this guy descends from a family which had an Aries as ancient emblem from medieavel times, where they lived near a lake at some crags, so within the time they were called the horns (because of the horn of the aries) from the crags or craghorn. and as names sometimes change over the centuries, his name is now creaghorn.

During the times when I was writing my own stories for Underground Comix, I kept a notebook with me at all times in case an idea, or tasty bit of information, happened by. Needing character names, I jotted down names as I found them. One of them was Francis Hauksbee, 1687-1763, scientific instrument maker and experimenter.

As a fighter pilot enthusiast, I have used this nick in various types of Forums and games, some not even associated with aviation. I'm actually quite used to many people in other non-aviation type forums asking me what "check six" means. Very apt here.

PS. Olham...I saw a few times where you had enlisted pilots with the name Mahlo, and never once saw that it was your name backwards...or that your nick was your family name backwards. Can't see the forest for the trees. :blink:

Edited by Check Six

Mine is the nickname I aquired during my last posting with 655 Squadron Army Air Corps in Northern Ireland due to a minor navigational error (hence Vasco Da Poulton - The World's Greatest Navigator and discoverer of uncharted territory - especially south of the border in Eire!).

When I first started online flying in Air Warrior back in 1996 you could only have a name with a maximum of 5 characters - I've used Vasco in online games ever since.

Vasco :pilotfly:

rabu

ubar spelled backwards..

Old High German for Above, ..also a lost city, but not sure what that has to do with it. pondering.gif

The non F acronym for, Up Beyond All Repair ..after the extreme frustration, many years ago, of creating plane skins in RebBaron, only to have them full of glow pixels upon taking them up in flight.

Duce is a homonym for deuce or 2

And Lewis is that magnificent WWI MG

My Squad mates in Jast 35 look at me kinda funny some times :nono:

Well, 'above' in German would be 'ueber' (correctly 'uber' with two dots above the 'u').

Up Beyond All Repair is a good explanation for our crates and piloting style (Lol!)

Why did the early RB 3D skins have "glow pixels" (and what exactly are they)?

Crosby is my last name. I somehow got the nickname cros-bones in high school and it sounds like crozbones and I used that in our old forum. I decided to change it to crossbones because who doesnt like pirates? :wink:

Back when I had my first IBM pc and was in need of a nick I wanted something really obscure for some uniqueness. I went with FE2b. Short transitioned to Rickitycrate which I think is obvious but if not:

Rickety- liable to fall off or collapse, shakey, feeble in the joints, tottering, infirm.

I referred to an old dictionary for the definition. On the same page, same column I see Richthofen. Five places below I see Rickenbacker and three below that is rickety. Unintentional but rather good company. Not unlike this forum.

Haha! Funny how all this comes together.

Jim - in German it would be "Rappelkiste" or "Klapperkiste".

mine is what my youngest daughters screamed everytime she saw one of the C-130's or -17s flying overhead from Pope AFB. of course she much more advanced now and says hello and goodbye to every he'copper flying over Bragg!

Well I used to be "Long Nine" as a reference to the 18th century naval artillery piece, with the slogan "Luff up and touch someone" but the internet is so chock full off scrubs that no one knew what I was talking about and just thought it was some crude penis joke.

So now I just use my last name.

OvS = Otto von Stachel

From The Blue Max's two main charaters and The Red Baron and has been my handle since back in my RB3D MMP days.

Otto Heidmann

Manfred von Richthofen

Bruno Stachel

OvS

OvS = Otto von Stachel

From The Blue Max's two main charaters and The Red Baron and has been my handle since back in my RB3D MMP days.

Otto Heidmann

Manfred von Richthofen

Bruno Stachel

OvS

Mine dates back to when a good friend and I started flying Air Warrior, back in the 6 bucks an hour days, when we signed on we needed a "handle" even tho everyone was listed by a tail number, well I am 6'2" and 285 lbs soooo he said why not "BigJim" since my first name is Jim. He had been an Air Borne Ranger so his was "RangerBob" his first name being Bob, wellll we have been "BigJim" and "RangerBob" in every online sim since, which covers AW, WB, AH, AHII, WWIIOL, and DOA. He has since retired from gaming, not sure why I am older than him :dntknw: and he was wealther than me :biggrin:

Well.. UK (pretty obvious)

And Widowmaker...came from my fascination with the awful stories of the F-104G Starfighters sold to the German Air Force, which crashed with monotonous regularity

Shredward is the formal appellation.

It's a ski thing.

Informally, I'm Ted Shred, or the Shredder, or Shred for short.

I was about 5 when the Everly Brothers issued one of their big hits "Bird Dog". For some now obscure reason, when people asked me my name back then, I would reply Bird Dog. So when I started flying flight sims and needed a callsign, I discovered that Bird Dog was already claimed by other pilots, so added the ICT (FAA Location ID for Wichita Mid-Continent Airport in Kansas).

ok for me its becaue i ain't always the sharpest tool in te shed and i wanted something diffrent than Flyingchipmunk of Doom....which is a story unto its self

I took my screen name to honor my father Louvert Larson who, despite his best and repeated efforts, was never allowed to serve in the armed forces during WW2. Due to health issues Uncle Sam classified him 4-F and he had to stay at the homefront while all his friends went off to war, (several of whom did not returned). He was never OK with it, right up until the day he died back in 1974 from a massive heart attack. I think of him often when I see my screen name, and I attempt to be as fair and honorable as I possibly can be in remembrance of a man who was always ready to do his part, and would have willingly died for the chance to do so way back when. I of course am glad he did not or I would not be here now, nor would his grandchildren and great grandchildren. Life is funny, and not always in a humorous way.

Cheers!

Lou