Sign in to follow this  
ONETINSOLDIER

one small step for a man

one giant leap for mankind,

its been a helluva ride so far,,heres to the men and women that got us to where we are today,

~S~

40th aniversary of those intrepid pioneers - genuine heroes!!

interesting that the new spaceships will be more rocket and lander once the shuttles scrapped - apparently they got a lot of things right it has been said!!

I remember looking up at the moon that evening and thinking there are people up there. Even at age nine I knew that things were different from then on. I just wish my grandson can witness an event like this in his life time.

Destined to be mankind's greatest achievement. I cannot imagine humanity being able to pull off a project of that scale ever again.

....3 steps backwards thanks to the dolts that erased the original tapes :clapping:

It was a great time. Too bad we've (humanity) been stagnant in a number of ways since.

I remember looking up at the moon that evening and thinking there are people up there. Even at age nine I knew that things were different from then on. I just wish my grandson can witness an event like this in his life time.

wow, same age, , id run outside and look up, then run back inside and look at the tv,(add infinitum) lol

I thought that was neater than the red haired girl down the street!

I was born right before Apollo 17, so it was all history to me and the irony is I'll never walk there myself because I'll certainly be too old by the time it could ever happen (moon tourists). That to me is the real tragedy...that there was money for stupid things like Social Security but not to get our butts off the Earth and into the galaxy.

I was at NAS Meridian,MS.

I watched it on TV with 3 of my fellow Student Naval Aviators.

After it was over we headed for the club to toast the event.

When I got outside,I stopped and looked up at a beautiful full moon.

My friend Chris said "What are you lookin' at"

I pointed up and said "There are men up there".

All 3 of them in unison said "Holy S$$$!!!"

Not another word was spoken till we got to the club,but we made several long looks up there.

We then joined the 300 or so people in the club celebrating the event. :good:

"One small step ...", perhaps the most used phrases when talking about space and astronautics.

Yesterday, the german french TV station ARTE broadcasted the 40 years old original transmission of the german TV station ARD of the moon landing and moon walk of the Apollo 11 crew. I sat in front of the TV screen and waited for the famous words.

BUT

Armstrong climbed out of Eagle, steped down the ladder, was talking about the soil, that it looks like some kind of powder, but no "One small step ..." then he walked around, conected with some sort of string with the Lunar Module, then Aldrin came out, they planted the flag ...

Later the german TV moderator said, that Armstrong had told this words, but he was'nt! Not in reality.

I think he was intended to say this words, but he was so overwhelmed to stand on the moon that he simply forgot to say it.

"One small step ...", perhaps the most used phrases when talking about space and astronautics.

Yesterday, the german french TV station ARTE broadcasted the 40 years old original transmission of the german TV station ARD of the moon landing and moon walk of the Apollo 11 crew. I sat in front of the TV screen and waited for the famous words.

BUT

Armstrong climbed out of Eagle, steped down the ladder, was talking about the soil, that it looks like some kind of powder, but no "One small step ..." then he walked around, conected with some sort of string with the Lunar Module, then Aldrin came out, they planted the flag ...

Later the german TV moderator said, that Armstrong had told this words, but he was'nt! Not in reality.

I think he was intended to say this words, but he was so overwhelmed to stand on the moon that he simply forgot to say it.

Uh, no. I think your broadcaster messed up.

http://www.snopes.com/quotes/onesmall.asp

FC

What Bad TV Coverage......They cheated You out of the best Part. It's when Armstrong said "One small Step for Man.....". Damn Gepard, That's a shame....It's on all the "Official NASA Recordings and Films". Even at the National Archive in Washington D.C.. How did German TV miss something as important as that? You must feel cheated out of something to make such a big deal about it.......I'd blame the German TV Coverage for droping the Ball on that one.......The rest of the World got it....

Edited by 331Killerbee

IIRC, the BBC lost nearly all of their Moon landing coverage. Magnetinc tape was expensive until the late 70s a lot of master copies were wiped and re-used.

I was 12 at the time. Yep, I went outside and looked at the moon and thought about the men up there and Ive been looking at it ever since. That crew was, and still are, heroes. A very proud, humbling, poignant event if there ever was one for mankind. Men showed what they can do when they put their minds to peaceful pursuits. While it was mainly an American technological achievement, the event was meant for all mankind; an honor and inspiration to us all.