Sign in to follow this  
zoomzoom

Hows about a lift?

U know what I'd be saying if I wuz one of those little tots!! Hey Mister, how a bout a ride!!??? They look like they'd fit in that plane quite nicely.

ZZ.

post-45966-1248113506_thumb.jpg

Yes, Zoomzoom, they'd fit in there!

That reminds me of a story Udet told in his book.

Together with some friends, he was flying kites. A little girl stood watching, and they asked her,

if she'd like to fly, She said 'yes', and the men attached some larger foils to a string strong enough,

tied that little girl to that apparatus, and let it rise. She really went up.

But then a chubby woman came running totally upset, shouting and screaming!

All men ran away like little boys, but the one, who held the string.

The woman was crying, shouting at him, and every 5 seconds she slapped him in his face.

But he held the string, and got the girl down, slowly but surely.

I remember reading that part myself, funny you should bring it up. Must've been hard staying in control with the angry mother attacking you at the same time!! Udet had some amazing adventures, including witnessing the only known lion to airplane collision I've ever heard of on record. He truly had an amazing life. Pity he had to run afoul of the Nazi's...hastening his unfortunate end.

ZZ.

I've seen some old footage of Udet flying at an airshow, doing stuff like sideslipping WAYYY too close to the ground, coming in to land at bizarre angles, 45 degrees to the landing strip, picking up cloths with a notch cut in the bamboo hoops under his wingtips. Extraordinarily gifted pilot. Superb to see.

I also recall the description of the lion leaping at him. How could that POSSIBLY not be burned into your memory? Fascinating stuff.

Edited by Check Six

Let Udet perform - and then we all can see, that we may still have to learn a bit more...

Ther's more at YouTube - just type "Udet" into the search box.

Geesh, that landing always gets me, every time I see it. Truly a phenomenal pilot. I wouldn't wan't to have to fly against that skillset in OFF....much less in real life when your backside is really on the line. Until you get a few hundred hours of combat flight experience, you just can't push that edge as far as he could! Amazing.

ZZ.

Let Udet perform - and then we all can see, that we may still have to learn a bit more...

At the 50 sec. mark, just as he picks up the handkerchief, you can see the wing-strut on that side. It appears to be broken. Am I seeing this right?

Pity he [udet] had to run afoul of the Nazi's...hastening his unfortunate end.

ZZ.

Udet's end was quite tragic as he was by all accounts a sensitive, apolitical soul who kept bad company (Goering, Milch, et. al). A shame he let himself get talked into a high position in the Luftwaffe and ran afoul of Nazi politics. He was a minnow swimming with a school of sharks.

Udet's end was quite tragic as he was by all accounts a sensitive, apolitical soul who kept bad company (Goering, Milch, et. al). A shame he let himself get talked into a high position in the Luftwaffe and ran afoul of Nazi politics. He was a minnow swimming with a school of sharks.

Veritas, and its a pity he didn't stay in the States when he had the chance, and avoid that whole ugly mess.

ZZ.

Edited by zoomzoom

If anyone likes to have a deeper insight in the development of this outstanding pilot,

there is a series of several parts on YouTube: "Udet - The Flyer"

Here is part 1 - the rest will be shown in the side frame choice.

Like Guynemer, he had the only strong desire: to fly.

And like a child, he acted partly naive, partly ignorant, to achieve that.

But seeing the time he lived in, I think: who am I to judge about him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxXrkBiVE1c...feature=related

Wow, thanks for the video link Olham. That looks really interesting. I'll have to find some time today to watch a few. Just watched the opening so far. :good:

ZZ.

What kind of R/C plane is that in the photo?

Looks like a DR1/DVII fusion.

What kind of R/C plane is that in the photo?

Looks like a DR1/DVII fusion.

It's a Fokker DVI

Think it was a real preformer but not built in large numbers

I'm amazed that the model can make it off the ground

The prop is hardly any bigger than the cowling