Sign in to follow this  
Helmut_AUT

Performance (Frames per Second) of SF2:Europe

Hi all again

I'm a bit surprised - it's early in my testing, but so far this one runs quite a bit slower on my "temporary game PC" than First Eagles. This temp system has an old AMD Sempron 3000+ with 1.8 GHz and a 7600GT Nvidia, my normal game system is a 2.6Ghz AMD 5000+ Dualcore with a 9600GT. I suppose moving to my normal gaming rig will make a difference, but First Eagles on that one (with higher details) doesn't go above 30 frames either (at high details) so I hope this one will get at least 25.

It seems a bit low on performance either way - I can run IL-2 with max details on this temporary box at 40 frames avg, SF2:Europe gets 15 at High settings and doesn't look THAT much better.

Are there some good tweaks to apply? I can't help but think the Strike Fighters engine isn't utilizing the graphic card fully, instead being stuck on CPU. Not much I can do then, I suppose, it reminds me a bit of FS2004 which is also heavily CPU bound.

By far, the biggest framerate killer is the horizon distance. I have a Core2Duo OC'd to 3.6 gHZ, and I still set it to normal. Otherwise, I max out all the other graphics options.

The Sempron system may require that you set the horizon distance to "near", and run with mirrors, reflections, and shadows all turned off.

Balitka, isn't that only supposed to fix Vista performance issues? I'm on XP.

Somehow it's really weird how LOMAC and IL-2 run faster on my rigs than SF2:Europe. I mean, SF2 looks pretty good - First Eagles with the cockpit shadows looks better - but neither is such heads and shoulder above those other two sims. It seems to me what kills me are ground objects, taking off at the airfield is the worst.

Oh well, suppose until I can try it on my main gaming rig, no point in worrying. I'm due for an upgrade in October anyway...

Fubar, I run Horizon for First Eagles at Medium, and here too - does it actually make a different for radar range and BVR range? That's the only thing that would worry me about lowering it.

Fubar, I run Horizon for First Eagles at Medium, and here too - does it actually make a different for radar range and BVR range? That's the only thing that would worry me about lowering it.

It has no effect on radar range or your opponent's BVR capabilities. I've painted Bears and Badgers on radar at over 150 nm in an F-14, and have engaged them with AIM-54s just inside of 100 nm.