Sign in to follow this  
RNAS_Flyer

Tough going

well guys what can I say but i'm finding it really tough going at the moment :blink: .I thought I could handle P2 but this is really something,but ha ho it can only get better the more I practise in qc & freeflight hopefully soon be ready for a campaign

Paul, go into workshop and ease back on some of the difficulty settings. Select pilot never dies for one thing for now. There is a lot to learn and get accustomed to. But have fun, don't make it too hard.

Absolutely!.. DiD is not for the faint hearted!

RNAS-

What plane are you flying? Based on your name, I'd guess a Sopwith product.

Are you having trouble staying alive or getting kills, or both?

well eased back on some of the settings like pilot never dies unlimited ammo(only while I get to grips with the sim),completely lost it with the camel spun out of control and smased into the ground.Like the sopworth tripe climbs very fast but I have just had some success taking out 3 E111 with would you believe it the Royal Aircraft Factory B.E.2.Not sure if this was an ideal a/c to be taking on fokkers but I had a good scrape with them comming out on top :good:

Edited by RNAS_Flyer

RNAS_Flyer - when I came over from Phase 2 to BHaH, I thought 'Hell - this is too tough;

so much more difficult. And it is more difficult; fortunately. I mean, be honest: in Phase 2

it often was a turkey shooting, the way the AI flew about and around.

Now, they do fight. That's how it should be.

I got my DVD in February, and now, during June, I became really good. Just had a scramble

in my Albatros, where I downed SEVEN Nieuport 17. Do you think, I could have done so in the

real war? I don't. So it is definitely not too hard. Learn to know your craft; forget about quick

success; become an ace slowly but surely!

Oh, and what is REALLY hard - from the 7 victories I just made, the claim form said "erroneus",

until I had it cut down to 2 ! Seems, after that, all my wings where dead already.

THAT is hard! :pilotfly:

RNAS - the Bristol fighter is in my opinion one of the most dangerous craft in here.

....what can I say but i'm finding it really tough going at the moment...

Everyone here has heard my sad tales of "stalling and falling" as I tried to come to grips with 1916/1917 planes. You'll hear a lot of it around here. These planes, in real life, were underpowered, frequently designed by inspired amateurs, and had utterly viscious flying characteristics. So they are in OFF, except the OFF planes won't kill you in training accidents. I got my first success with the SE-5. It's got enough built-in stability that it goes where you point it and enough power to fight off stalls. Try the two-seaters. They're more docile. But you're not alone on the learning curve. Stick with it.

Edited by Hauksbee

Yep, RNAS - when I started with the Albatros DIII, I thought: Good grief - what was this craft so famous for?

I was always stalling in turns. And now I turn on a plate and get into the Nupe's turns!

And when you got that far - believe me - you will feel you deserved this, you worked it out!

Don't give up, old chap - and stay aloft!

The Sopwith Triplane features the best pilot visabilty

Well, among the Allied craft perhaps; but beat the view of a Pfalz or an Albatros.

Hi RNAS, don't worry about the reduced settings

When I started P1 I flew superman (invisible plane) & unlimited waepons

Eventually it was just too easy and got boring

Not quite full DiD yet but I'm having fun & no worries

- from the 7 victories I just made, the claim form said "erroneus",

until I had it cut down to 2 ! Seems, after that, all my wings where dead already.

THAT is hard! :pilotfly:

Olham, be easy on your wing mates, mate! Or more specifically, watch out for them.

"Maverick, just curious as to who was covering Cougar while you were showboating with the Mig?

iceman from Top Gun

Say it with me: "I'm NOT leaving my wingman!" :biggrin:

BuB, I am definitely a pilot who cares for his wings in all mission.

On a scramble, jumped at by the double amount of enemy craft, that simply doesn't work.

I tried it first, and always got shot down myself.

On a crowded scramble, every man fights for himself *.

But I wouldn't mind if they remained on the ground; I'm doing most of the work anyway.

And I would have enough witnesses after my fight.

* of course I still shoot at every craft I see that attacks one of mine

I'm just having some fun with you Olham. I agree, some of the wingman can be rather helpless...think of yourself as the

grandpa of the squadron...there to look out for all the young guns.

"And if none of them will fly with you, give me a call, you can be my wingman anytime"

I also shot down a Fokker EIII with a Be2c! I also got up to nearly 40 hours with my pilot until he was shot down by Bill Gates. Windoze went mad and I had to reinstall everything. My latest flier is in a Bristol scout and that thing is hard to control - the slightest stick input and it is all over the place. I tend to over-control in dogfights (also against EIIIs) so mostly seem to spin into the ground, or even kill myself trying to land the thing. Maybe I should try an Fe2b as it certainly looks stable with that wide wingspan.

On re-reading the posts I see that Olham also reckons the Bristol Scout is a killer (in the wrong way, that is).

Edited by JimAttrill

Just a friendly suggestion RNAS, but you could try being a little less aggressive in your attacks.

Control of your aircraft depends on the flow of air over your wings and elevators etc, so if you lose too much speed in tight turns, - suddenly you've no lift and you lose control. If you do have to make a sharp turn, give your aircraft a chance to recover some speed before starting a second turn. Don't string tight turns together, or your airspeed disappears and you're suddenly a sitting duck. Keep your manouvres smooth and try not to lose more momentum than absolutely necessary. Even with a bandit on your tail, speed is your best friend.

Even with a tiny bit of practice, I reckon you'll live longer, and have a lot more dominance over your target.