Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Check This Out

A Texas Airman stationed at an Air Force Base near Sacramento, Calif. has lost both legs after surgeons reportedly botched a routine surgery to remove his gallbladder.

Colton Read, 20, underwent laproscopic surgery last week at David Grant Medical Center at Travis Air Force Base near Sacramento. Laproscopic surgery is a minimally invasive procedure that involves making a tiny incision to minimize pain and speed recovery time.

About an hour into the surgery, something went wrong. Read's wife Jessica told CBS11TV.com.

"A nurse runs out, 'we need blood now' and she rounds the corner and my gut feelings is 'oh my God, is that my husband?'" Jessica Read said. Read's wife said an Air Force general surgeon mistakenly cut her husband's aortic valve, which supplies blood to the heart, but waited hours to transport Colton Read to a state hospital with a vascular surgeon.

Read, who is still in intensive care, lost both legs as a result of the blood loss. Meanwhile, his gallbladder still has not been removed. Jessica Read said the doctor admitted his mistake, but under federal law the Reads cannot sue.

The future of Colton Read's career is now uncertain, FOX 40 in Sacramento reported.

Jessica Read told FOX 40 she is appalled that the Air Force is even considering medical retirement or medical discharge while Airman Read is incapable of making any type of decision. She said he is not 100 percent lucid and is still heavily medicated.

The Air Force is conducting a review of the case using outside experts.

Click here to read more on this story and to see a picture of Airman Colton at CBS11TV.com.

Jesus...

Reads can't sue... is that because by being a member of the AF, he's barred from suing anyone in the US Military?

I saw a news video about that today on ABC news. Botched surgeries are not as uncommon as some people think. I've heard of people going in for one thing and getting something completely different done because they got the paper work mixed up. I went to day surgery unit to have special zinc bandages put on ulcer in my ankle and the orderly said to me we are ready to do your hemorrhoid operation now. Seriously, he said that and that's what he thought I was there for. I do have hemorrhoids but never made any appointment to have them removed at all.

I heard some folks talking about it while I was in the Medical Building. It's a damn shame.

it's horrible! pore guy :\

hope he will make a speedy recovery..

it's horrible! pore guy :\

hope he will make a speedy recovery..

2x

sad :/