Sign in to follow this  
Cameljockey

Crap, crap, crap, crap, CRAP!

I was on the computer yesterday, taking care of some business, and needed to go to the bank and make a deposit. I shut the computer down and went uptown. Got back about thirty minutes later, booted up the machine to check my account and the splash screen stayed up a lot longer than usual. It finally started to boot and then stopped and I got "Disk boot error, insert system disk". I put in the XP disk and it started installing Windows! Well, it went through some of the motions and then tells me "There is no hard disk". NONE! It just disappeared. :blowup: Nothing I did helped. Well, I had an 80Gb 133Ultra (thanks again Sitting Duck) that I was going to put in my son's computer when I got his case, so I put it in and installed XP and all that that implies, and got it going again. Installed CFS3 and patched it. Installed Trackir etc. Installed BH&H, patched to 1.31l Went through the config etc and fired it up to fly. Everything went great at first, went to CFS3QC to test everything out and after the splash screen with MvR and Ball it dumps me right back to CFS3QC.

Any suggestions? Is the 133Ultra too slow to keep up with the rest of my hardware? I'm ordering another HD tomorrow but it won't be another Seagate. That drive was less than six months old. Looking at a WD 500Gb SATA.

Thanks in advance.

CJ

Guest Barnstorm

Hey CJ,

Sorry to hear about your HD crash. I really can't say about the returning to the CFS3 screen, but that Seagate HD should have a 5 year no-questions asked warranty. I always use Seagate HDs in systems I build and the very rare occation that I have had a failure with one, they swap it out ASAP. The WD HDs used to only have a 1 yr warrany.....just something to consider. Hope you get your system up soon.

cj...sorry about all that...

going to assume that other drive did not even show up in bios?

If it does,,i would add it into the sytem as a slave,,,and try and recover any data you may have on it that you need (pics,,etc)

Didnt test the 80gb drive thourouly,,(wouldnt know how if i wanted to....),,,but it came out of a working system...really dont think its the drive,,,

how does cfs3 play?

Hi SD!

The 80 gig seems to be working fine. Some others have had the same problem with OFF, so I'll just have to search for the threads when I have time. Thanks for the tip, I'll try that as there is 288Gb worth of stuff I'd like to get back if possible. Wish me luck!

CJ

CamelJockey,

Good Luck. Hope you're back up and running soon. And hope you didn't lose a single byte of data.

:good:

Sorry to hear about your crash CJ. your luck sounds like mine.

GB