I hope I won't sound dumb but here it goes:

1. Does an SF2:E F-15 have a TAS indicator?

2. I'm not sure but i think i remember it was/is possible to do IFF using TWS mode, if yes then how?

3. Is the on board ECM (an/alq-135 ?) better or equal to the under wing mounted an/alq-131? Is there any gain (as better chance to jam or better jamming radius) from equping these external ecm pods (game engine-wise)?

4. Streakeagle posted a superb guide to operating f-4/f-15 radars over at the thirdwire forums. Any chance for a similar guides to HUD/RWR? I'm willing to donate 10 quid (paypal) plus my undying gratitude :biggrin: . Also It would be a GREAT idea to combine these these guides to create a supplement manual for rookies such as me and many(?) others, coz you all know that TK's manuals are rather basic and lacking detailed information.

5. Same as above but about stock weapon's deployment ranges and envelopes guide?

6. And the last one, for those of you who didn't get annoyed by my previous questions :P, does any one else think that the F-15 is soo cool? I sure do! :yes:

Thanks, Michal

Also It would be a GREAT idea to combine these these guides to create a supplement manual for rookies such as me and many(?) others, coz you all know that TK's manuals are rather basic and lacking detailed information.

Heh... I also was thinking about a Community Manual. Stock plane flight profiles, systems operation, instruments, weapons, combat tactics, AI handling tips, adding mods etc All in colour and with optional pdf version. :biggrin:

does any one else think that the F-15 is soo cool?

:no: Would be cool if it came with a bottomless fuel tank.

:no: Would be cool if it came with a bottomless fuel tank.

Well, u can always set fuel to Easy and have an F-15E (as in Economical or ENvironment friendly) :biggrin:

But yeah, a community manual is what we need! Great name btw! I like the way it sounds! Community Manual, yum,yum :good:

3. Is the on board ECM (an/alq-135 ?) better or equal to the under wing mounted an/alq-131? Is there any gain (as better chance to jam or better jamming radius) from equping these external ecm pods (game engine-wise)?

Thanks, Michal

I dont think using a pod makes any difference - its more to do with the jamming type and strength of the pod - with you can view and change with the Weapons editor for SF2

1. Does an SF2:E F-15 have a TAS indicator?

I dont think it does, I know the mirage factory f-18 has both IAS and TAS but I've never noticed it in any other planes.......granted I havent much time looking specifically for it :wink:

2. I'm not sure but i think i remember it was/is possible to do IFF using TWS mode, if yes then how?

The closest thing to IFF that I know of in the game is you can lock up a plane with radar and then you can visually lock onto radar contact, can't remember the default button for it but it will identify the target in red text in the bottom right corner, or blue if it's a friendly

The closest thing to IFF that I know of in the game is you can lock up a plane with radar and then you can visually lock onto radar contact, can't remember the default button for it but it will identify the target in red text in the bottom right corner, or blue if it's a friendly

It's visual lock onto radar target command and i think it's ctrl+r. I'm using it as a IFF all the time :biggrin: . But i remember reading int he forums long time ago that TWS mode supposedly was able to tell wheter the locked target was friend or foe, but maybe i'm imagining things. And I'll try to extract them cat files (all 10 of them in my merged install :blink: ) to compare onboard ecm parameters with external pods. Just wanted to try the easy way by asking questions first :)

7. When I lock the target radar displays its aspect(?) as 6L or 1R etc. How do I read it?

Edited by SFP1Ace

IFF has been modeled since the inception of WoE, on aircraft that are so-equipped in RL. The Mirage Factory Phantoms that model the Combat Tree system, are one such example. The WoE, WoI, and SF2E F-15A also has IFF, in STT mode.

OK, i've done some research this morning and at least i managed to figure out the IFF question. F-15A in SF2:E can IFF targets in TWS mode, it takes some time though coz the onboard computer is slow (Intel 8088 or smth?). Anyways I've made a screenshot with descriptions for a future reference, it might as well be stickied in Knowledge Base if moderators will find it useful for other rookies :biggrin:

post-25041-1248516826_thumb.jpg

Now most of the question's benn answered (Thanks, community :good: ), but few still remain.

1. ECM. Here's the data for the F-15A's onboard ECM

[ECM]

SystemType=ECM_JAMMER

JammerType=DECEPTIVE_JAMMER

JammerStrength=60.0

And this is the data for the AN/ALQ-131

Type: DUAL MODE JAMMER

JammerStrenght:50.0

So is deceptive jammer better than dualmode? Would I benefit in any way from equiping this external ECM pod on the F-15?

2. Targets aspect in track mode. What does 2R or 5L mean? I assume that L is for left and R for right, but how do i read the numbers?

Check ECM frequency bands as well. They might be different.

Check ECM frequency bands as well. They might be different.

AN\ALQ-131 is 2-20 GHz, but I can't find anymore game data on eagle's internal jammer :dntknw:

AN\ALQ-131 is 2-20 GHz, but I can't find anymore game data on eagle's internal jammer :dntknw:

What, you call yourself a flightsimmer, and you don't have a -1 manual for an F-15A? :rolleyes: ....lol

Dual mode, for TW's purpose, jams equally with noise, as well as (in theory) projecting a false return on an enemy's radar scope, or deception. AFAIK, there's a dichotomy there. In order to be effective, you want to perform the task at hand, and you want to do so using as little wattage as possible. Too much wattage, and you become a "visible" source, and worse yet, possibly a point source. There's no way in this series to set strength by individual jamming mode (in a dual-mode unit). Of course, I'm not aware of any sim out there that models that level of sophistication :biggrin:

All that aside, every radar and ecm-equipped unit that you load into the game, should ideally have the correct frequency parameters modeled in their data.ini files.

What, you call yourself a flightsimmer, and you don't have a -1 manual for an F-15A? :rolleyes: ....lol

Dual mode, for TW's purpose, jams equally with noise, as well as (in theory) projecting a false return on an enemy's radar scope, or deception. AFAIK, there's a dichotomy there. In order to be effective, you want to perform the task at hand, and you want to do so using as little wattage as possible. Too much wattage, and you become a "visible" source, and worse yet, possibly a point source. There's no way in this series to set strength by individual jamming mode (in a dual-mode unit). Of course, I'm not aware of any sim out there that models that level of sophistication :biggrin:

All that aside, every radar and ecm-equipped unit that you load into the game, should ideally have the correct frequency parameters modeled in their data.ini files.

Well I'd rather call myself casual fpp/rpg/rts gamer with some inclinations towards simulations :biggrin: . That's why I spend my time flying TW series while my F4.0:AF and LOMAC is gathering dust (never got time to go throughout the steep learning curves for those games).

Anyways after lots of googling I failed to find a direct comparison between them two ECMs. Most data that I found referred to the upgraded versions fielded on newer plane blocks. What I know now is that the F-15A ECM is AN\ALQ-135 so I'll just assume that it's at least as good if not better than AN\ALQ-131. So i guess that's another question answered. Thanks, Community :good: .

Now, what about that aspects designations? :biggrin:

Edited by SFP1Ace