Sign in to follow this  
Uriah

Just what is it you all are doing?

Are you taking some version of Third Wire sims and making a WWII version?

Are you taking some version of Third Wire sims and making a WWII version?

Yah, verily, as we've done for the last 5 years... :good:

We cover the worlds, all times, all places.

wrench

kevin stein

I am using WOE OCT08 patch for Europe(BOB,European Coast Ahead,Invasion of Europe),Pacific(Guadalcanal,New Guinea,Midway)and Korean War(1950and1952).

3 separate installs.

Thanks for a special place for us Propheads to congregate and share info. :good:

wow you've been bringing WW11 to thirdwire flight sims - i never knew that, i've been so focused on il-2 & cfs3 with MAW & PTO & ETO that i didn't even know this existed till i got FE the other week!!

i've now got SFG, WOV, WOE and FE. i'm gonna keep WOV & WOE (with NATO expansions) just to cold war stuff, obviously FE stays WW1, but that leaves SFG (SF 1 series i think you call it here), big question;

can i alter SFG into a pure WW11 sim? if so how the heck di i go about it? anyone recomend a tutorial for a SF newbie please.

the thinks that spring to mind for me; how to use more than one side, how to add new scenery, weapons that kind of stuff. thanks. :yes:

Well, our handy-dandy, patent pending Knowledge Base would be the place to start. It can be a little daunting at first, getting famaliar with all the terms and structures, but in the long run MOST rewarding. There's also QUITE a bit of reading to do, but well worth the time -and not just for WW2-ish variants of the game, but for ALL the games. Lot's good info, more or less colated into some kind of sensible order (!!)

On creating an 'era specific' install, read this little thread:

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=19630

now, mind you, this might be jumping ahead a little for those as yet unfamaliar with the structures, but it outlines what needs doing. Follow those instrucions pretty much exactly; remember, don't patch your WW2 install past the 06 patch level, or much oddness will ensue :yes:

Getting the needed aircraft is another thing, as a good percentage of the WW2 birds were created by the Dev A-Team. To gain access to their aircraft, you'll need to register with them at Capun's site.

http://cplengineeringllc_bb.cplengineering...d69516a4ece53ec

Follow the instructions in the "Board & File Policies" forum on that front page.

more aircraft are found here and more over at my site. Link is below in my signature

and Welcome!

wrench

kevin stein

Yah, verily, as we've done for the last 5 years...

We cover the worlds, all times, all places.

:rofl:

That just makes me laugh each time I read it...

With the renaissance in FE, and WWI in general lately, I admit I've strayed of late.

Now I'm having some trouble catching up and figuring out what needs to be done.

Can it be as simple as "The StallMoment Line " tweek.... mentioned???

I know TK patched that venrable old lady SFP1 last year, but also released that which I haven't purchased -- SF2.

To be a Prophead [NB capitalized...] and utilize the 3rd party updates, do you need to buy/run the new version?

Thanks...

Edited by B Bandy RFC

I'm glad you enjoyed the answer!! :biggrin:

Can it be as simple as "The StallMoment Line " tweek.... mentioned???

Yes, and no. There's a lot a birds that need MUCH more help ... P-38s (all variants) come to mind immeadeatley. When my PTO install went belly up, I thought I'd give the 08 level a try ... spent 10 minutes fighting the L or H model stall/post stall ... on my back with minus (!!!) airspeed, doing a Cobra, full throttle and trying not to get shot full of holes by a ****load of Franks. Finally, gave up and spent a day and half rebuilding from a backup copy.

A lot of DAT birds (Hurricanes and Spit come to mind right off) need some serious 08 tweeking. Hurris tend to go into unrecoverable inverted flat spins "for no apparent reason"; the AI just can't seem to handle it at all (as obviously, neither can I!!)

So, in the unlikely event that 400 odd aircraft (including sub-varients) get their FMs rebuilt, I'm sticking to my 06 guns.

Now, mind you, some work really well, as long as you don't push them too hard -- Monty's AD Skyraider and Wolf's Mustang (D model) are both pretty good, as is AD's Zekes. The Jugs DO need some work, as do the Corsairs and just loads of others.

For me, the descision is "who do you want to fight: the Bad Guys or your airplane?"

btw, SF2 "NextGens" are pretty much 08 level, in regards to FMs. Plus the Vista/Winge7 nativness etc, and added eye candy and stuff that mean absolutely nothing for the WW2 player (in MY opinon, only)

wrench

kevin stein

Well, our handy-dandy, patent pending Knowledge Base would be the place to start. It can be a little daunting at first, getting famaliar with all the terms and structures, but in the long run MOST rewarding. There's also QUITE a bit of reading to do, but well worth the time -and not just for WW2-ish variants of the game, but for ALL the games. Lot's good info, more or less colated into some kind of sensible order (!!)

On creating an 'era specific' install, read this little thread:

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=19630

now, mind you, this might be jumping ahead a little for those as yet unfamaliar with the structures, but it outlines what needs doing. Follow those instrucions pretty much exactly; remember, don't patch your WW2 install past the 06 patch level, or much oddness will ensue :yes:

Getting the needed aircraft is another thing, as a good percentage of the WW2 birds were created by the Dev A-Team. To gain access to their aircraft, you'll need to register with them at Capun's site.

http://cplengineeringllc_bb.cplengineering...d69516a4ece53ec

Follow the instructions in the "Board & File Policies" forum on that front page.

more aircraft are found here and more over at my site. Link is below in my signature

and Welcome!

wrench

kevin stein

thanks very much, your detailed and helpful post is going to spur me on to do the necessary research here to learn all about it. I've been looking at various ww11 aircraft at diferant sites and there seems to be a pretty good selection out there, including some not available in other ww11 sims. the modders out there are doing a great job too. it seems the obvious thing to do is retro-date SFG back to 1936-46 say, thanks for the warning on patches!!

i'm really enjoying the new challenges of a differant game engine, must admit WOV and WOE are FUN, after il-2 these games seem more fun somehow? guess its partly a fresh challenge, but there's something about them that reminds me of the fun i used to have with combat flight sims around a decade ago.

okay i'll start reading up on it now and if i have any questions i'll post here,m cheers.