Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Lucky

How did the Entente ever win the war?

Here I am, fat dumb and happy flying my 4th mission for RFC60 in a N17 with Lewis gun. It's a patrol behind enemy lines. Looking over my shoulder, I spy a flight of EIII's maybe 4 or 6. I quickly order my flight to attack while turning to meet them. I take a quick snap shot at one thinking, 'Oh boy, EIII's for breakfast, this will be like a turkey shoot'. I see one on the tail of one of my wingmen, so I go after him. These guys are good, throwing their eindekkers around. I follow one in a turn, drawing lead, slowly, he starts to shallow out his turn allowing me to slip on his six, He slides into the crosshairs...then disappears! That stupid gun sight blocks out just about any target. It's not like the aldis sight that has a thin tube so you can see your target while fine aiming with the sight. This nightmare concoction makes it almost impossible. Don't try to tell me to use the gunsight view, because it isn't much better. If I were flying back then, the first thing I'd do is rip that @#$@#$ out of there.

So, I ended up getting riddled with bullets because I was trying to fight like Stevie Wonder or Blinkin. Made a forced landing and scrapped that campaign. I know it's historical and all, but that's one plane it would be nice to have the option to do a 'field retrofit' with an iron sight or none at all. That goes for that stupid canvas fairing on the N11 too!. Ya gotta love non-flying engineers and staff officers selecting your equipment for you.

Ok, that's off my chest, back to the trusty Alb DII with a nice, open forward view.

...back to the trusty Alb DII with a nice, open forward view.

Absolutely, Mr.Lucky! If you prefer a solid craft with a good overall view and two great guns,

it must be the Albatros (well, with the exception of the weaker lower wings).

I wonder you met Eindeckers in Nupe 17 Lewis - I'm not good at history, but shouldn't they

have been in different times?

And to your question - they could only win the war by sheer mass of aircraft and pilots, not through

having the greater crates, surely.

...but that's one plane it would be nice to have the option to do a 'field retrofit' with an iron sight or none at all.

Yeah, we had a thread on this a few weeks back. Turns out that the sight wasn't as bad as it seems to us, and pilots actually liked it. Turns out, you have to lean into it and put your eye to the tube. Something that we can't do.

Try the N.17 with the Vickers gun-- the one the French use. I've taken down as many as 8 Eindeckers in a single flight with the hardcore damage model.

I gave up on the N.17 Lewis because it's more a hindrance than a help. Try the Vickers version-- more ammo and an iron sight.

...back to the trusty Alb DII with a nice, open forward view.

I wonder you met Eindeckers in Nupe 17 Lewis - I'm not good at history, but shouldn't they

have been in different times?

Nobody said war was fair. The Noop 17 started to enter service in the summer of 1916. By then, Fokkers were the Fodder.

Cheers,

shredward