Sign in to follow this  
Cagallon

SE5a - Very Very nice skin

Agreed! This has always been one of my favorites.

the same auther also has a really great Fokker DVII skin.There is also a "generic" SE5a skin by the same person.I just love them.

the same auther also has a really great Fokker DVII skin.There is also a "generic" SE5a skin by the same person.I just love them.

Thanks for the kind comments......and thanks to the original 3D modellers of all the aeroplanes. If it was for the great work that they do there wouldn't be anything to put the skins on. I haven't posted as many schemes as I would have liked to, I put up a few ALB DIII's a while ago but wasn't happy with them so I'll have a look at those again. Also a couple of SE5's that need another look at. In the meantime I've almost finished one of a few Nieuport 11's, just a few tweaks here and there to do. If I have permission I'll post the first very soon, again all credit to Monty CZ for his original model. I've re-skinned and clothed Geezer's excellent Narrow Pilot model for this one. Hope that's O.K. Here's a couple of preview pics.

post-13166-1250152661_thumb.jpg

That is simply awesome.I'm very glad to see you doing more skinning work.I hope i don'rt come off as greedy but do you have any plans on making a "generic" Nieuport 11 skin?Thanks again for the excellent work.

That is simply awesome.I'm very glad to see you doing more skinning work.I hope i don'rt come off as greedy but do you have any plans on making a "generic" Nieuport 11 skin?Thanks again for the excellent work.

I don't think you can come off as being greedy with amount of contributions you and many others have made. I look at it as returning a favour in a small way.

I do tend to start off making a generic skin.. but it usually ends up being personalised as were the original aircraft. I am working on a few more individual 'Bebes' at the moment. I will skin some more and keep them 'plain'. Do you have a preference, R.N.A.S., French, Belgian, Italian, Russian..... or all of them.

Whilst we're on the subject of the Nieuports, is ther any way to remove the wing mounted gun and place a single Lewis on the fuselage. I was thinking of Jean Navarre's red Nieuport 11. Or even a captured version with a Spandau.

I must really compliment you on your skin, it looks great and welcome to the forum. :good:

A question though, have you ever seen a picture of his Nieuport 11 with the Lewis mounted on the fuselage or provide a link to a picture showing this ??? The reason the Lewis was mounted over the top wing was that the Allies did not have the German interrupter gear yet like the Fokkers, so without an interrupter gear, they could not mount the Lewis or Vickers on the fuselage without steel plates on the back of the prop or risk shooting the prop off. It was not until they captured a downed German plane with it's interrupter gear that they developed their own interrupter gear and mounted that on the Nieuport 17, but by then Navarre should have been shot down and out of action.

Hi Stephen.

Sorry for butting in, but would it be possible to put in a request for a British Bebe, preferably with the PC10 finish, please?

A Nieuport 16 (Albert Ball's, maybe?) in the same colour would be great too!

Good to see you haven't lost interest in the game...You're skins are always most excellent.

All the best.

Bucky

I must really compliment you on your skin, it looks great and welcome to the forum. :good:

A question though, have you ever seen a picture of his Nieuport 11 with the Lewis mounted on the fuselage or provide a link to a picture showing this ??? The reason the Lewis was mounted over the top wing was that the Allies did not have the German interrupter gear yet like the Fokkers, so without an interrupter gear, they could not mount the Lewis or Vickers on the fuselage without steel plates on the back of the prop or risk shooting the prop off. It was not until they captured a downed German plane with it's interrupter gear that they developed their own interrupter gear and mounted that on the Nieuport 17, but by then Navarre should have been shot down and out of action.

I was surprised when I saw the photo of Navarre's 'Bebe' with a fuselage mounted Lewis for same reasons as you highlighted. I checked further and found this snippet, ironically, placed on the Combat Ace Forum a month ago by HomeBoy.

'I have been puzzled by the fact that the B.E.2c in OFF has a fuselage mounted forward Lewis gun that obviously fires through the prop (i.e. is synchronized). I was unaware that there were any Lewis guns configured this way so I started Googling. I found this fascinating article':

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/vie...20-%201391.html

The relevant excerpts follow.

There was apparently experimental success with synchronizing the Lewis. The problem with the Lewis had to do with the mass of the round and the acceleration necessary to get the bullet going. This delay apparently made synchronizing the Lewis difficult . (I've always wondered about that!). Anyway, here is the excerpt:

It is possible that success was delayed because the standard machine-gun used in British aircraft was the drum-fed Lewis, and all the early experiments were conducted with it. It suffered from two disadvantages: it could fire only a limited number of rounds before having to be reloaded, and the masses which had to be accelerated in the gun were so heavy that the fitting of any kind of purely mechanical interrupter or synchronizing gear was a difficult matter. (A synchronizing gear for the Lewis gun was in fact designed by Sergeant-Mechanic Alkan of the French air service and fitted experimentally to a few R.F.C. aircraft in the spring of 1916.

Here is the photo I mentioned.

post-13166-1250186447_thumb.jpg

it is posible to mount the lewis on the "deck" look at my SPAD VII with the lewis gun in the download section.you have to set up the "dummy gun as a pilot and the dial it into position then add a gun to the plane and dial the muzzel pflash to match the muzzel of the gun.to delete the lewis on the wing I set up a gun as a weapon station and have it hid the model.i would explain better but I'm not able to do much as the computer I'm currently on is from 1996,my other comp died and this is the only way i could stay online untill my fund permit me to fix the comp.I'm pretty sure that there is a better prociedure to remove model parts but I never learned it.There may be some guildlines in the knoledge base if not some of the modders in the Strikefighters/WOE forums will be able to help you.in the SPAD VII download i did it has the add on lewis you will need.Also Capun has some Lewis Vickers and spandaus at his site you can use .At one point I added a vickers to the deck of the Nieuport 16 but it was all lost in the HD crash :(

stephen honey:

I can give it a try, may be several more days before I get a chance (currently working on another FE mod), but I will give it a try and let you know how it turns out.

Panama Red

Great to see you back in action here Stephen. I think your Mannock skin is superb!

stephen honey:

I checked in my "French Aircraft of the First World War" by Flying Machine Press and this is what they had to say:

"Nieuport 16's were usually fitted with the same Lewis gun as the Nieuport 11's; these were mounted in the top wing. However, when the Alken gun synchronization gear became available it permitted some Nieuport 16's to be fitted with a forward-firing Lewis gun mounted on the top decking of the fuselage."

Since the Nieuport 16 uses a Nieuport 11 body and a upgraded 110 hp rotary (the same as the Nieuport 17), you can not tell the difference between a Nieuport 11 and Nieuport 16 by most pictures. As a result, it sounds like Navarre used a Nieuport 16 versus a Nieuport 11. Since I finished my other mod at the moment, I will attempt the convert the Nieuport 16 from a overhead Lewis to a deck mounted Lewis for you.

Panama Red

stephen honey:

I checked in my "French Aircraft of the First World War" by Flying Machine Press and this is what they had to say:

"Nieuport 16's were usually fitted with the same Lewis gun as the Nieuport 11's; these were mounted in the top wing. However, when the Alken gun synchronization gear became available it permitted some Nieuport 16's to be fitted with a forward-firing Lewis gun mounted on the top decking of the fuselage."

Since the Nieuport 16 uses a Nieuport 11 body and a upgraded 110 hp rotary (the same as the Nieuport 17), you can not tell the difference between a Nieuport 11 and Nieuport 16 by most pictures. As a result, it sounds like Navarre used a Nieuport 16 versus a Nieuport 11. Since I finished my other mod at the moment, I will attempt the convert the Nieuport 16 from a overhead Lewis to a deck mounted Lewis for you.

Panama Red

Many thanks for this Panama Red. I agree, there is little external difference between the two models. The 16's did tend to have a headrest on the turtle deck but this could have easily been removed, as was often done, to increase visibility. Maybe it was to trick the enemy into thinking that this was the earlier and less powerful version. Good luck with the conversion. Navarre's Nieuports are well documented in their colour schemes. Some have already been submitted in the download section, a red one could be a welcome addition. Also the short lived but unique blue 'Le Vieux Charles' of Georges Guynemer.

So far the Nieuport 16 is resisting the mod change. So it looks like I'm going to have to really dig into this to get it to comply. :dntknw:

As the old says goes "ve hav our vays" and "resistance is futile". :wink:

It just means that it may take me a little longer than I anticipated.

I wish my game comp hadn't died,as I had no problem deleting the lewis and while I added a vickers instead of a lewis on the deck it was pretty easy just tedious to get into position.what method are you using to remove the part and are you adding the deck gun as a "pilot" or a gunpod?

stephen honey:

Progress !!! Upper wing Lewis removed, fuselage Lewis mounted :yes: Now all I have to do is some minor tweaking and she will be done. As I said "resistance is futile".

Panama Red

whiteknight06604:

I'm using the "gunpod" method. I noticed that the "pilot" method does not show the gun in the F1/F2/F3 mode, it only shows externally, where as the "gunpod" method shows the weapon both internally and externally. If you know a "pilot" method that allows the weapon to show both internally and externally, I'm all ears because it looks a lot easier than the "gunpod" method.

Panama Red

The Nieuport 11 skin is just AWESOME !!!!!

GREAT !!!!!!!

:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

Those skins are very beautiful actually.