Sign in to follow this  
carrick58

tuff sim flying

Took a break from the tuff firing twoseaters, Set everything to the easiest settings. and approached the persuit planes signed up a sopwith pup driver ( Sgt Fish and Chips). Thought Id have a go at the V stutters, Stated 1st patrol on 1 Apr 1917. 2 missions and 1 claim for a balloon later the sqn was down to 5 pilots out of 13. Next patrol, got a few hits on a two seater ( a flight of 3) took hits in the engine and made a forced landing in no mans land ( when will I learn not to attack them from the rear) was captured but escaped 16 days later. Next up, with all 5 pilots in the sgn, we went for a barrage patrol of their side of the lines. The flight got jump by a flight (5) of albatross V stutters D-3 s with black stripes on the elavators. 2 pups went down. Mine because I never saw him behind me and the other was caught between 2 D-3s one behind and one shooting from underneath causing smoke then fire. Now the persuit sgn has 3 pilots left and its only 18 April 1917. Think I will go back to twoseaters. PS was wondering how many pilots were in a sgn ? were the amounts equal on both sides ? and were there a aircraft for each pilot in the sgn ? any researchers know? :no:

Complements varied from service to service, and changed throughout the war. Generally, Allied squadrons were larger, usually by quite a bit, but tended to field smaller formations. Usually, most units had spare machines, but this too varied, due to supply, and how intense the fighting was.

Cheers,

shredward

Carrick, have you had "flying experience" before? If not, I would recommend to do many "free flights" in

QC, to learn to handle the crate you want to use.

But even if you have experience, those Jastas often have several aces in one squad, or they are at least

veterans. They know what they are doing, whilst you still have to find out.

But we're lucky - we can create a new pilot.

One more idea: if you are rather beginning with WW1 air combat, choose either

1. the early 1916, where you could get a Nieuport, but before the Germans get their Albatros (so before September);

or

2. start with the earliest S.E.5a available (I think in May 1917 they where there already?)

or

3. fly the last year, 1918, where the Allied outnumber the Germans; and there pick an S.E.5a or a Camel

"Bloody April" WAS hard for the Allies. And don't give up - it will later be rewarding!

Edited by Olham