Sign in to follow this  
Broadside uda Barn

nvidia 190.38 drivers

...........I spent two hours trying every Nvidia setting combo under the sun and nothing made the AA/Aniso work including a double reinstall of 190.38......

Had that problem myself but all it required was 2 reboots after the driver installation instead of the usual 1.

......and it worked fine after that?

Yup. After 1 reboot I spent a hour trying to get AA working in OFF and ETO with no luck. Then I happened to notice my "Stand By" icon was ghosted out in the shutdown menu of XP SP3. So I rebooted again and AA was then working fine. Go figure!

I took some screenshots with 16x AA (combined...an option in nHancer) and 16x AF.

I'm seeing lots of shimmies/swimming.

I'm wondering if this is because of the drivers, or my settings somehow...?

I dont remember the shimmies before I installed nHancer...

post-51131-1249460881_thumb.jpg

post-51131-1249460898_thumb.jpg

post-51131-1249460907_thumb.jpg

I changed the settings to 8x AA and 16x AF and got less shimmering, but it's still there.

Has anyone got OFF working with no shimmering/swimming landscape?

Edited by Broadside uda Barn

Does AF even work in OFF even if you set it for override in your graphics card setup?

If I remember, there is no option for it in the graphics config.

I changed the settings to 8x AA and 16x AF and got less shimmering, but it's still there.

Has anyone got OFF working with no shimmering/swimming landscape?

AA And Aniso is not working with OFF on some rigs with 190.38 - no matter how many reboots you do.

I had to roll back to 182.something.

With 182 16xAA and 16x Aniso and Multisampling the image is crisp and clear and no shimmering all the way to the horizon.

Badgerboy set AA to 4x or 8x in CFS3 config - whatever is max on your rig.

To do this go workshops, Graphics Config, File Change display options and the AA is a setting below the screen res.

Then set up whatever you want in your GPU config ensuring that you have overrides application on.

HTH

WM

I reverted back to the 181.22 drivers I had before the 190.38s, and with 16xAA and 16x Aniso and multisampling, 6 pre rendered frames, clamped texture filtering and high quality texture filtering, FPS are pretty good and solid at around 40+, image is clear, with only a hint of shimmering in trees at certain altitudes.

Wondering about newer drivers...nHancer, or specific graphic settings to get NO shimmering (I am not sure that's even possible with so much detail in OFF).

I think I'm about to call it excellent enough. :)

any other specifics in your graphics setup Winder?

I reverted back to the 181.22 drivers I had before the 190.38s, and with 16xAA and 16x Aniso and multisampling, 6 pre rendered frames, clamped texture filtering and high quality texture filtering, FPS are pretty good and solid at around 40+, image is clear, with only a hint of shimmering in trees at certain altitudes.

Wondering about newer drivers...nHancer, or specific graphic settings to get NO shimmering (I am not sure that's even possible with so much detail in OFF).

I think I'm about to call it excellent enough. :)

any other specifics in your graphics setup Winder?

I am pleased you are sorted - the only thing that will improve it from there is SuperSampling but that is quite an FPS hit depending on how many spare frames you have of course.

Yes there is something amiss with the 190.38 - there are quite a few users who have now rolled back and all is well with earlier versions.

Hopefully Nvidia will sort this out.

If you want a 'cleaner' picture than what you are seeing now (and really compared to ROF OFF is crystal), then its ATI I am afraid.

But there are issues with ATI (or there were issues on my ATI 9800Pro) with reflections - for example instrument dial glass and mirrors did not work -with ATI drivers.

Pol and I wil be testing a new ATI card soon to see if that has been sorted since the ATI 9800Pro days (some time back lol).

WM

I reverted back to my old drivers, 18- something, as I too found the 190.38 to be crap. I did this with a system restore, and although it's better, it is not perfect. I get slowdowns in combat that I never had before, and more CTD's.

I'm assuming this might be due to residual data from the 190.38 drivers. does anyone know of a good FREE driver cleaner?

I reverted back to my old drivers, 18- something, as I too found the 190.38 to be crap. I did this with a system restore, and although it's better, it is not perfect. I get slowdowns in combat that I never had before, and more CTD's.

I'm assuming this might be due to residual data from the 190.38 drivers. does anyone know of a good FREE driver cleaner?

Your best bet is to go add/remove and remove the Nvidia Drivers - reboot - you will end up with a crappy VGA display res etc and ignore the windows auto detect on your card.

Then install the driver version that you want.

OFF is very stable and should not CTD nor slowdown FPS wise.

HTH

WM

I had problems with 190. as well. After two reboots it finally installed, but I couldn't enble the SLI function. So, I finally went to roll back to my previous driver (which was working beautifully on OFF and all other sims, games etc.) and for some reason during the roll back..my screen went black, and the PC would shut down in power save mode??? Could not reboot my machine at all.

Furious with myself for not leaving well enough alone, I had to get my company's IT guy, to come to my home and get it back and running. Don't know what he did it, as was all "technical computer stuff". After a half hour he got me back to "square one".

Lesson learned here, for sure..

PS- Is it true that one must uninstall a previous driver BEFORE installing a new version? Or can one just install the new version over the previous one?

Regards,

Royce

yes you can install a new driver over a previous one.

very rarely will you have issues.

That's why it's always a good idea to make a backup in system restore....that's saved my bacon in a number of situations.

Your best bet is to go add/remove and remove the Nvidia Drivers - reboot - you will end up with a crappy VGA display res etc and ignore the windows auto detect on your card.

Then install the driver version that you want.

OFF is very stable and should not CTD nor slowdown FPS wise.

HTH

WM

Thanks, Winder. It's definately the drivers, not OFF as I had very smooth gameplay (other than CTD's if I didn't shut off my antivirus program) before I installed the 190.38 drivers.

Loaded the 182.50 whql drivers and things are running smooth. Shimmering is VERY limited in the distance, but I can see it.

I'm assuming that there will always be *some* shimmering, right?

I am pleased you are sorted - the only thing that will improve it from there is SuperSampling but that is quite an FPS hit depending on how many spare frames you have of course.

WM

I set up a turkey shoot with a total of 8 planes in the air, and with supersampling I'll dip down to 24 fps, and with multisampling it stays at about 28 when things are frantic.

I remember being in a dogfight with about 16 planes at one point over the front in a mission...dont know what that would do to the fps.

Hard to know what settings to leave it at....

I uninstalled the latest drivers and went back to 180.48 IIRC. The swimming terrain in the distance is gone. Maybe my older card (8800GTX) likes the older drivers. I'm getting 40-60fps and no less than 30 in a furball, but I normally keep it capped at 30fps to stop the framerate fluctuation stutters.

CJ

Edited by Cameljockey

Now children - let this be a lession to you. NEVER d/l new drivers until you get feedback from those dopes that just must have the latest release. That way you will not get burned.

If it ain't broke don't fix it!!!

I was just playing my part: the dope that just must have the lastest release and fastest fps.

glad I could be of help and that someone has benefited from my pain :doh:

Well a couple of days ago I posted that I'd installed 190.38 without problems. However I was wrong, and especially since I installed my new 24" monitor (wow – in widescreen HD OFF looks even more amazing!) the image is very bleached-out and shimmering. I've reverted to 182.06 and it's gone back to looking beautiful, proper colours, no shimmering. Somebody asked about rolling back drivers, and a free registry cleaner; this is the procedure I follow, using Driver Sweeper. I've pinched this text from someone else and amended it, but haven't noted who, so I'll just acknowledge their help and apologise for my inability to credit them properly.

• Download and install Driver Sweeper.
  • Download the Nvidia driver update to the desktop or separate folder.
  • Go to Add | Remove Programs and uninstall the Nvidia Driver. If you have a Nvidia based motherboard be sure you select only the display driver to uninstall from the options.
  • Reboot when prompted. Once back to the desktop reboot again into Safe Mode.
  • Find and run Driver Sweeper in your Program listing, select Nvidia display (not Nvidia chipset, audio, etc.)
  • Once it completes, reboot again to the desktop.
  • Now install the new driver update from the zip file, using supplied wizard.
  • Once installed, set the Nvidia 3D settings in the control panel, save and exit (I use Fortiesboy's settings, thanks very much)
  • Start OFF and in Workshops click on the Graphics button to let it configure the game to your video card, then choose Custom to set your resolution and AA level.

And, er, yes, in future I'll try to resist fiddling about with "latest drivers" until the "all clear" is sounded by the Wise Men!

Well a couple of days ago I posted that I'd installed 190.38 without problems. However I was wrong, and especially since I installed my new 24" monitor (wow – in widescreen HD OFF looks even more amazing!) the image is very bleached-out and shimmering. I've reverted to 182.06 and it's gone back to looking beautiful, proper colours, no shimmering. Somebody asked about rolling back drivers, and a free registry cleaner; this is the procedure I follow, using Driver Sweeper. I've pinched this text from someone else and amended it, but haven't noted who, so I'll just acknowledge their help and apologise for my inability to credit them properly.

• Download and install Driver Sweeper.
  • Download the Nvidia driver update to the desktop or separate folder.
  • Go to Add | Remove Programs and uninstall the Nvidia Driver. If you have a Nvidia based motherboard be sure you select only the display driver to uninstall from the options.
  • Reboot when prompted. Once back to the desktop reboot again into Safe Mode.
  • Find and run Driver Sweeper in your Program listing, select Nvidia display (not Nvidia chipset, audio, etc.)
  • Once it completes, reboot again to the desktop.
  • Now install the new driver update from the zip file, using supplied wizard.
  • Once installed, set the Nvidia 3D settings in the control panel, save and exit (I use Fortiesboy's settings, thanks very much)
  • Start OFF and in Workshops click on the Graphics button to let it configure the game to your video card, then choose Custom to set your resolution and AA level.

And, er, yes, in future I'll try to resist fiddling about with "latest drivers" until the "all clear" is sounded by the Wise Men!

Thanks, BigFish- still getting too many CTD's since going back to the older drivers so I'll give this a try.

Thanks, BigFish- still getting too many CTD's since going back to the older drivers so I'll give this a try.

Yes, get Driver Sweeper and follow those steps. Nvidia is notorious for leaving vestiges behind when you un-install - that screws up your upgrade. Hence the need to fully clean up the remnants.

Can one use Driver Sweeper without going through those steps? Just run it? Will it still clean up remnants?

Royce

Can one use Driver Sweeper without going through those steps? Just run it? Will it still clean up remnants?

Royce

No - as DriverSweeper is not smart in the sense that it knows what the remnants are - it just knows what the Nvidia files are. So...trying to do it w/o first removing the drivers via Control Panel will really screw things up.

You must do these steps in order.