Sign in to follow this  
Revthought

Patching

Hey guys,

I am super excited, I got my OFF BH&H dvd today! After installing the game, I played around for a little bit before downloading the patches available in plain view 1.30, 1.30c and 1.31l.

After installing them sequentially, I booted up the game and tried to make a new pilot. Unfortunately, I was greeted by a great cascade of errors--ultimately telling me I need to reinstall OFF--I'm off to do that now (pun intended).

I was just wondering what I needed to do patch my game to the current client. Are there other patches not listed I need to download first before attempting to patch with the most current patches?

Cheers,

-R

Revthought,

First of all you need to have M$ CFS-3 (Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 3) patched to version 3.1. If you are unsure of this, don't worry at this stage. When the time comes to provide the necessary files, if they aren't at the required standard, you will be notified by the install wizard.

Do a complete uninstall, making sure you look for weird little folders and files that hide around the place. I think there might be an uninstall guide somewhere in the stickies at the top of this page, or maybe on the General discussion page stickies.

Got it all out? Good. Here is the complete install procedure ... of course, anyone is welcome to correct me if I'm wrong...

Insert your OFF:BHaH DVD. It should start installing automatically. A short time after it begins the install, it will ask you how you wish to provide the required M$ CFS-3 files. If this sim is installed on your hard drive, click on that response, if it is not yet installed, tell the OFF install wizard that you will provide the files on M$ CFS-3 CD. It will then ask you to insert this CD, and will begin reading the necessary files from there.

A little later, it will ask you to re-insert the OFF DVD. Do that, and it will continue its installation. When it is complete, it will come up with a message telling you so.

What you need to do then is to patch it up to 1.30 version, then patch it up to 1.30C version, then patch it up to 1.31L Version. (Soon, all three patches will be compiled into one super patch, but for now, you need to install all three in the order I mentioned).

And there you go! You should be able to fire up OFF now and enjoy it.

Keep your eyes on this site on a regular basis. There are many discussions here on how to tweak OFF so that it performs at its best on your particular system, or little tips and hints that are invaluable, and will help you enjoy this great sim all the more.

If you need any help at all with anything, please ask here or in the general discussion forum and the very helpful people here will answer you promptly, I'm sure. Read the sticky threads at the top of this Forum, and at the top of the General Discussion Forum. There are answers to Frequently Asked Questions, hints, tips, ideas, fun little discussions on improving your enjoyment of the sim. Well worth a look.

Enjoy! Welcome to the world of "Over Flanders Fields"

:biggrin:

Edited by Check Six

When Unistalling and you think you've found all the Folders of 'Over Flanders Fields' and Deleted Same

Do a second search that includes your Hidden Folders, a couple will always appear, Failure to nail those puppies, your problem (whatever it is ) will be back again, and again, and again, and again, and again, can drive you to drink. . ( in my case a very short Drive )

I have CFS3.1 installed. As I recal the installation procedure I was never asked for the CFS3 disk--I just figured that this was because I had CFS3 pre-installed (though I do need the disk to run the game.)

Basically what I've encountered is this: Version 1.0 off of the dvd works fine. When I patch the game up to version 1.31L the game will not work.

I get some error about an ace skin and error in line 30, with the suggestion I reinstall OFF.

Cheers,

-R

Could be a corrupt patch then.

So - if V1.0 works then:

- re-install one more time - copy the entire V1.0 folder to another directory

- patch to 1.30 version, test

- then patch it up to 1.30C version, test

- then patch it up to 1.31L Version, test

One of them is bound to fail and I would d/l that patch again and start patching using your saved V1.0. A pain I know - but that is where this appears to be heading.

I have OFF currently set up on my XP hard drive. I'm going to install the game on my Vista 64bit drive and see how it goes.

Cheers,

-R

I have OFF currently set up on my XP hard drive. I'm going to install the game on my Vista 64bit drive and see how it goes.

Cheers,

-R

So I put the game on my Vista HD. Patch 1.3 worked fine, but when I patched to 1.30c and 1.31l I got the same error.

I didn't write down the error completely, but it is an aircraft skin for the Morane Parasol which seems to be causing the problem.

Cheers,

-R

We don't have a Morane Parasol ( at least not yet, someday) so the error is complete Bullschitt. Work in Progress. Do these errors lock up your screen ?

It doesn't lock up the screen, it just prevents me from enlisting any pilots and/or starting a campaign.

Basically, I get the error then everything I'd worked on as far as pilot creation vanishes.

-R

It doesn't lock up the screen, it just prevents me from enlisting any pilots and/or starting a campaign.

Basically, I get the error then everything I'd worked on as far as pilot creation vanishes.

-R

Revthought,

My sim is up and running smoothly. I generally have been playing RNAS Sqns in campaign mode, but recently, thought I'd try something different and went for an early 1915 pilot (ie using a parasol or whatever). In red on the pilot enlistment or sqn choice page, it informed me there was no morane parasol YET, so I advanced the time. Can you see on your screen how to do that? A Couple of arrows near the top on the right. If I recall correctly, the next plane for that RFC sqn didn't work either, and gave me the same error message as you have received.

BEFORE you uninstall and reinstall, try a pilot later on in the war, in 1916 or 1917 or so, flying a fighter or bomber. It worked for me, and everything still works fine. It could be that you are attempting to join up in an early sqn so you can fight throughout the entire conflict. (That's going to be HARD). Try just a LITTLE later, and you'll be fine.

Revthought,

My sim is up and running smoothly. I generally have been playing RNAS Sqns in campaign mode, but recently, thought I'd try something different and went for an early 1915 pilot (ie using a parasol or whatever). In red on the pilot enlistment or sqn choice page, it informed me there was no morane parasol YET, so I advanced the time. Can you see on your screen how to do that? A Couple of arrows near the top on the right. If I recall correctly, the next plane for that RFC sqn didn't work either, and gave me the same error message as you have received.

BEFORE you uninstall and reinstall, try a pilot later on in the war, in 1916 or 1917 or so, flying a fighter or bomber. It worked for me, and everything still works fine. It could be that you are attempting to join up in an early sqn so you can fight throughout the entire conflict. (That's going to be HARD). Try just a LITTLE later, and you'll be fine.

You've hit the nail on the head of what I've been doing. I've been trying to make an early 1915 pilot, this is true. However, when you try to make a pilot from early 1915 you get this BIG warning in red about the aircraft not being available yet, so I just fast forward the date until the squadron is flying the Bristol Scout.

I can do this in OH&H version 1 and 1.3 with no issues. I can also do it with the mini patch (1.30c installed,) though I still have to run 1.3 since I'm getting another unrelated error with that patch.

I haven't tried your suggest work around yet. I will tomorrow. I've had to install and uninstall BH&h like 5 times already today... AND its 240 am here. So I will try again tomorrow.

I'm also having random MCFS3 crashes running Vista 64 bit, so I'll have to switch the game install back over to 32bit XP... which is a shame since bH&H ran so much better utilizing all the ram in my machine.

Anyway, I'll let you all know tomorrow what happens.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Edited by Revthought

Cant see why you should have a problems with cfs3 on vista64...too many ppl here have that os,,

Seeing as how you dont have problems with BHAH, going to assume you did all the "run as administrator", and "run in xp compatibilty mode" settings for the exe's

Cant see why you should have a problems with cfs3 on vista64...too many ppl here have that os,,

Seeing as how you dont have problems with BHAH, going to assume you did all the "run as administrator", and "run in xp compatibilty mode" settings for the exe's

I am running both programs as an admin, I'm not, however running it in XP emulation. I could *try* to uninstall and reinstall everything... again... but it eats up 45 minutes of my life.

This just in, I just got my trackir today... and its not working proper.y.... all on its own. :P

I am running both programs as an admin, I'm not, however running it in XP emulation. I could *try* to uninstall and reinstall everything... again... but it eats up 45 minutes of my life.

This just in, I just got my trackir today... and its not working proper.y.... all on its own. :P

Revthought,

Our resident TrackIR "guru" is Mark "Homeboy". He has set up a really good TrackIR setup guide...it's in the stickies here...

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=39313

That is a great guide for TrackIR 4 I believe, but it will help you out immensely even for Ver 5. If it isn't working on its own, check that you have the IR camera positioned correctly. If you're using the pro-clip, please ensure you plug it into a dedicated USB port, not running off a hub. I find the cap clip is better for me, and I'll only use the pro-clip when I need headphones (ie online - and that might be some time). You can try the default setup first, see how you like that. Some feel it is not "agressive" enough and accordingly setup their own OFF profile that moves their screen around really quickly to check six. Others find this makes them a bit motion sick. Please take it easy at first.

We will have you up and running in no time, I'm sure.

The work around worked! So as long as I start the war at a later date the game will run. I am still having issues with Windows Vista 64 though.

The game works fine until I'm part way through second mission I run. I then get a crash to the briefing screen. This happens in XP also, I just don't get the error message in XP. In XP I can sometimes start over, and be fine. In Vista I will continue to crash, no matter what I do, until I restart my machine.

It has been suggested that its my settings, but I've got an NVIDIA 9800gtx+ in my machine, and am running everything at 2 currently.

Any thoughts, lads?