Sign in to follow this  
Hauksbee

Hope we can all piggyback on this...

Opened my copy of "PC Aviator" the other day, and what do I find on the inside front cover? Somebody is putting advertising dollars into ROF. And they're now offering a Fokker D.VII, Albatros D.V, DFW C.5, Brequet 14, Neiuports 17 and 28, SPAD XIII and a SE-5. The exposure can only be good for all us WWI buffs.

Well, I believe, that any WW1 sim or movie will contribute to the success of OFF;

simply because more people notice that field of sims, and then compare the sims,

and then find out, that OFF is REALLY great to have and fly.

Exposure for any flight sim is nice as the development of them has seem to really drop off. What I have read and heard about ROF is not very good. I personally feel that making people PAY for more aircraft is greedy and not fair when you do the initial software purchase. A later release of a mission pack, plane pack, etc and charging is fine, but releasing it with only a few planes is odd.

The dynamic campaign is the key to a realistic and immersive flight sim, something else "the other" one cant touch.

RoF doesn't have nearly enough planes in the box to make it a viable WW1 air-combat simulator, and while paying for them is a contentious issue I'd be more concerned about how long it'll take for all the important a/c to become available either way. It's a bit like buying an F1 racing-sim and finding 90% of the teams and their cars are missing, to be made available one by one over an undisclosed period of time (freely or otherwise).

Plus all it's other significant flaws.

*JaboOody Dubs Vincent voice* "Looks nice though". :grin:

Hello,

kind of strange it is not mentioned you will have to pay for "all those great modelled aircraft" huh ? Well they can always say they talked about AI planes lol. But even those are not included yet.

You cannot imagine how glad i am, i do not always have to put a CFS3 or OFF DVD into my tray to play OFF, just start it and relax.

I find RoF's marketing model a very bad one, to be online all the time and pay for every plane like it's done in FS 2004 and X. But even there were more planes included in the original package, and you only have to pay for a few add-on planes, while the biggest bulk is still free for download. In comparison OFF should have been much more expensive with all those "free" planes - oops no i did not say that :biggrin: (but they'd have deserved it).

And selling RoF is difficult since your account (=email) is firmly linked to the serial number of the RoF DVD.

If this kind of DRM is the future for any sim i will seriously think about resigning from PC-gaming. There are 10 or more sims on my PC, each and every one with its own bullsh!t of anti-piracy protection, "Starforce" here, "Steam" there and whatnot, apart from all the protection ideas that come with the "serious" business software. If they would at least invent one DRM protection model for all kinds of software ... my gawd ONE registration done online should be enough.

It is understood i do not own software or the idea or code behind it, but the tendency to only lease a product and pay for it every day gives me a shudder. Not being able to sell or just copy a software (working) for personal backup purposes is not even allowed in the EU, let alone a request to being online all the time. I wonder how this will be handled here ..

Well they say DRM is dead, i only hope i live long enough to really see it die.

Greetings,

Catfish

Guys...

Please... I asked that RoF issues and updates not be posted...

The thread started kinda bad, as I asked not to post anything about RoF promotions, sales, updates.. videos... on this forum... but since it looks like it's more of a discussion and opinion comparison on many other aspects of simming and some of RoF's anti-priacy methods, I'm OK with it. The info is good, and you right, we do hope that people out there looking for a WWI will see that OFF comes standard with many of these planes, and a huge variety of the many variances of each model. Not just the Fokker D.VII, but the OAW, Albatros (skinned as such) and the D.VII(F). As well as many others.

Thanks,

OvS

Do we really need to do RoF advertising for them on this forum?

Call this advertizing? If I was looking to buy RoF and came across this thread I'd have binned the idea by the fifth post.

Call this advertizing? If I was looking to buy RoF and came across this thread I'd have binned the idea by the fifth post.

It's OK, I don't see it as advertising. At first glance you do, but the rest of the topic and the following threads are not about RoF. I totally see his point. I can imagine RoF costing a ton of money if you want to fill the skies with planes. It looks as though it's going to focus on 1918 only. Which is sad as you loose the 1917 era of the Pup vs D.III, and Spad vs D.V dogfights... amoungst a few.

This is like FSX and expanding it. You can spend a serious amount of cash making FSX look like it does in some of the screenshots you see. Beteen the scenery, the planes, the cloud patchs... extra airports.... wow... it can really add up. For an inital cost of $50 - $60 for FSX, by the time you have all the goodies running and working... it's well over $200.

I see RoF following a similar path with the costs. At least they're keeping the planes at what $7.50 a pop? That's not too bad, but after 10 planes, you're already at $75 plus $50 for the game. We offer it now at $29.99 and you get the whole war, from 1914-1918. Not bad at all.

OvS

OvS

"I see RoF following a similar path with the costs. At least they're keeping the planes at what $7.50 a pop? That's not too bad, but after 10 planes, you're already at $75 plus $50 for the game."

This is one of the issues (and gawd knows there are numerous others) that mean that I am quite unlikely to purchase ROF in its current incarnation. I've spent enough time lurking at SimHQ to understand that there is the kernel of a superb game there (although many players don't seem to like it being called a game, but I digress), but there are numerous issues which the bravest amongst them seem to be gritting their teeth and hoping for the best, whilst exhorting people who haven't bought it to go out and join the merry band of, er, beta testers, for want of a better phrase.

I hope ROF survives and prospers, even though the online thing sucks donkey dick and the restrictions on use are, at best, farcical, but I will only consider it when it has a good (ie, rivalling OFF) campaign for SP, has in excess of 20 planes as standard and offers some of the flexibility and immersion that we took for granted in RB3D, let alone what came out of OFF.

Still, I'm happy to let other people prove or disprove the concept at their leisure and own cost. I'm happy to wait and see, and, perhaps, wait for OFF phase 4, finally divorced from the CFS3 engines and paraphenalia.

I just flew a mission in my Alb. DIII in 2/1917. I got lost and seperated from my flight in thick cloud cover at 9000ft, was getting vertigo inside the bank it was so thick. Came out the other side and there was a flight of 5 strutters about 1500 above me. Wingman #5 drifted out of the clouds no doubt lost too and as I attacked the strutters he joined me. (amazing AI) I shot 3 down and took some rounds in my engine and left wing. I put down at the nearest German air field white knuckled and actually survived. I defy another game to challenge that type of experience.

For a second there I thought I had been redirected to the wrong forum. Then again, perhaps I have been.

:please:

"I see RoF following a similar path with the costs. At least they're keeping the planes at what $7.50 a pop? That's not too bad, but after 10 planes, you're already at $75 plus $50 for the game."

Well if I am reading this right and doing the math, that's going to be a pretty expensive flight sim to equal what OFF BHaH offers in terms of planes. You get 39 aircraft with OFF. You get 4 (now) with RoF. So $7.50 x 35 (add on planes) = $262.50 + $39.95 (for the RoF game itself) equals $302.45 in order to get the same number of planes in RoF that Over Flanders Fields can offer to folks right now for only $29.99. If I had to make the choice starting from having nothing, I think I'd rather buy OFF, TrackIR and some CH Pedals. But that's just me. I can be silly like that sometimes. I'd like to fly in the Great War, not finance it.

Hellshade

I'd like to fly in the Great War, not finance it.

:rofl::rofl:

I just flew a mission in my Alb. DIII in 2/1917. I got lost and seperated from my flight in thick cloud cover at 9000ft, was getting vertigo inside the bank it was so thick. Came out the other side and there was a flight of 5 strutters about 1500 above me. Wingman #5 drifted out of the clouds no doubt lost too and as I attacked the strutters he joined me. (amazing AI) I shot 3 down and took some rounds in my engine and left wing. I put down at the nearest German air field white knuckled and actually survived. I defy another game to challenge that type of experience.

i know what you're talking about. i'm now feb 1918 jasta 5 with the terrible outclassed DVa's. couple days ago i was flying while my girlfriend watched tv or whatever (no time to take care what she's doing while i'm flying :rolleyes: ). i was inmidst of a dogfight with camels. furball of about 30 aircraft alltogether. i swerved around and suddenly saw one camel evading one of my squadmates in very close range to me and flying head to head towards me, just passing me by inches. i instinctively ducked below the desk and almost fell from my chair. quite embarrassing :biggrin: .

i just had a sortie where i was constantly scanning the sky, like always. suddenly tracer smoke from above and a fraction of a second later a camel shot by me like a meteor very close in front of my prop. i was so terrified that second that i let off a burst, shut down my engine, acitvated the map, fell into a spin and dropped my joystick. all at once (was so terrified i unintentionally hit every mapped button on my stick whilst dropping it). in that second i aged for about 10 years and my hair turned grey. :blush2:

Edited by Creaghorn