Sign in to follow this  
BirdDogICT

Force Feedback Headsets

Anyone here using force feedback headsets? How do they compare to force feedback controllers? I'm asking because I'm not willing to give up my CH controllers but would like to add force feedback to OFF to be able to feel engine vibrations, changing control surfaces, bullet impacts, etc.

I'm thinking about buying the eDimensional - AudioFX2 Force Feedback Gaming Headset...anyone have experience with it? How about using TrackClip Pro with it?

Thanks,

BirdDogICT

Hello Birddog

I just got eDimensional's force feedback headset. The TIR ProClip fits very nicely above the left ear phone cup on the head band. The only thing "Force Feed Back" about the rig is that it enhances the game sounds with an enhanced Bass frequency response (rumble) that makes for a nice stereo sound without a big sub-woofer. I have yet to noticed an enhanced directional surround-sound effect that the eDimensional's advertisement mentions. It is just a well made Stereo Headset with noise-canceling mic.

I actually bought the headset for the bundled noise-canceling microphone. It plugs into the headset and works with eDimensional's utility called Voice Buddy which converts spoken commands into equivalent keyboard commands. I got interested in that feature when Homeboy mentioned he used Game Commander by MindMaker to control his sim by voice. It allows him to move a lot of the sim commands off his keyboard and joystick buttons. When I tried to register my trial copy of GC I discovered that it no longer is marketed. A Google search revealed eDimensional Website with this alternate Voice Command software. And rest is history...

Voice Buddy has an editor that understands XML. It takes advantage of Microsoft's Voice API SDK. There is already support for 60 game titles, like FSX, MSFS, CFS2 and CFS3, etc. I am learning how to build the voice to command set now for OFF.

OlPaint01

What does it do? I Googled it but see no basic explaination of what does for you...what feedback are you getting? Curious.

Ooops, OlPaint answered while I was typing. Thanks!

Edited by 77Scout

Along the lines of the butt kicker you can buy a gaming chair. My chair gives me the sensation of sitting in a WWI crate. I sense the rpm's of the motor and archie explosions. It's driven by ingame sounds. IMHO this really ups the immersion. The chairs come in different styles, mine has a base so I am not so low to the floor and are widely available. Hey but what do I know. It's a gas when you are getting ready for takeoff and it's quiet and then you fire up the engine and you feel it in your legs butt and spine.

Hello Birddog

I just got eDimensional's force feedback headset. The TIR ProClip fits very nicely above the left ear phone cup on the head band. The only thing "Force Feed Back" about the rig is that it enhances the game sounds with an enhanced Bass frequency response (rumble) that makes for a nice stereo sound without a big sub-woofer. I have yet to noticed an enhanced directional surround-sound effect that the eDimensional's advertisement mentions. It is just a well made Stereo Headset with noise-canceling mic.

I actually bought the headset for the bundled noise-canceling microphone. It plugs into the headset and works with eDimensional's utility called Voice Buddy which converts spoken commands into equivalent keyboard commands. I got interested in that feature when Homeboy mentioned he used Game Commander by MindMaker to control his sim by voice. It allows him to move a lot of the sim commands off his keyboard and joystick buttons. When I tried to register my trial copy of GC I discovered that it no longer is marketed. A Google search revealed eDimensional Website with this alternate Voice Command software. And rest is history...

Voice Buddy has an editor that understands XML. It takes advantage of Microsoft's Voice API SDK. There is already support for 60 game titles, like FSX, MSFS, CFS2 and CFS3, etc. I am learning how to build the voice to command set now for OFF.

OlPaint01

Anyone know if the software will work with any headset/microphone combination? I just bought a Logitech 7.1 speaker surround sound gaming headset and microphone. Wondered whether it will work with that?

Anyone know if the software will work with any headset/microphone combination? I just bought a Logitech 7.1 speaker surround sound gaming headset and microphone. Wondered whether it will work with that?

Steve (and Others),

This is worth a try too and should work with any headset. I think the demo is time-limited, so it's not free, but I used it a couple of years ago and found it worked well. I expect it's improved since then. Worth one's time to evaluate anyway.

Diverseware Voice Activated Commands

Hello All

Here is the link to Voice Buddy by eDimensional:

http://www.edimensional.com/index.php?cPat...6acf765ac12e2a9

The program listens for your voice commands input through the low noise microphone, converts the commands to sim control commands, and then talks back to you through the ear phones with a confirmation response. All Programmable BTW.

For example;If "Attack targeted aircraft" is the voice command. "Roger, Attacking targeted aircraft" is the response. The software issues an "A" command to the sim. Easy Peasy.

The force feedback in the headphones is just an enhancement of the Bass Frequencies. You feel an slight extra vibration for the engine or MG sounds. Like a high quality set of stereo headphones would give.

OlPaint01

Edited by OlPaint01

Hello All

Here is the link to Voice Buddy by eDimensional:

http://www.edimensional.com/index.php?cPat...6acf765ac12e2a9

The program listens for your voice commands input through the low noise microphone, converts the commands to sim control commands, and then talks back to you through the ear phones with a confirmation response. All Programmable BTW.

For example;If "Attack targeted aircraft" is the voice command. "Roger, Attacking targeted aircraft" is the response. The software issues an "A" command to the sim. Easy Peasy.

The force feedback in the headphones is just an enhancement of the Bass Frequencies. You feel an slight extra vibration for the engine or MG sounds. Like a high quality set of stereo headphones would give.

OlPaint01

Thanks,

That gives me a better idea of what to expect. With Voice Buddy, fully programmable CH controllers, and Track IR, I should be able to beat a few more of those pesky AI pilots. Too bad they're so lame (tongue planted firmly in cheek). The devs have made good on their promise that you're lucky to survive beyond 17 hours, so any device that increases immersion and helps me survive longer is worth it.

Cheers

Hello,

i bought a very cheap one (9 Euros) ata local Aldi store, and the bass is really impressive. However i still prefer to sit in front of my PC without looking like a Cyborg lol. Ok, TackIR will come next, or at least after a decent graphics card .. :rolleyes:

But i have never heard of this "buttkicker" before lol

Greetings,

Catfish

Go to the Main page here at CA and there's a link to a Buttkicker review.

CJ

Along the lines of the butt kicker you can buy a gaming chair. My chair gives me the sensation of sitting in a WWI crate. I sense the rpm's of the motor and archie explosions. It's driven by ingame sounds. IMHO this really ups the immersion. The chairs come in different styles, mine has a base so I am not so low to the floor and are widely available. Hey but what do I know. It's a gas when you are getting ready for takeoff and it's quiet and then you fire up the engine and you feel it in your legs butt and spine.

Rickitycrate

I'm curious as to what brand/ model of gaming chair you have.

Cheers

GB

GB, I am using an X Rocker game chair. If you do a search you will come up with a number of sellers. My spin on this is of course I got mine at a thrift store. Saved $100.

I can speak for mine, a discontinued model, and say it truely adds to the experience. If a guy bought one at a Wal-Mart and found it to be unsatisfactory they do have a good return policy. I'm just sayin'.

GB, I am using an X Rocker game chair. If you do a search you will come up with a number of sellers. My spin on this is of course I got mine at a thrift store. Saved $100.

I can speak for mine, a discontinued model, and say it truely adds to the experience. If a guy bought one at a Wal-Mart and found it to be unsatisfactory they do have a good return policy. I'm just sayin'.

Here's a link to a previous post that Rickitycrate made on the subject LINK

I must say it does sound good and there are some bargains to be had on eBay. I'm intrigued by the remounting on an office chair, does that mean taking the two chairs apart and cobbling together the force feedback variant?

Any chance of some photos of the setup, RC?

The mount on my game chair had a post that fit into a receiver hole in the base. I simply removed the chair from an office chair and then stuck the game chair onto the office chair base. My model of game chair did not have wheels on the base you see and it was a bit too low to the floor. Now I can roll around and sit properly at my desk. So easy even a caveman could do it. Geico. I don't want to oversell these chairs but if you have been around as long as I and have been on/in any sort of old flimsy, rickety, lightweight conveience that is motorized you know the "feel" the engine in your bones and how when you reach your destination you can still feel it for a brief while. If you could imagine how it felt to be in a running WWI warbird that's what I'm talking about. Now what to do about g-force.

Dej, because you asked. This is the original base.

Edited by Rickitycrate

This is the chair showing the armrests, inpu/ control panel and subwoofer in the back of the chair. There are also speakers to each side of that headrest.