Sign in to follow this  
Check Six

SE5a bomber

I've received delivery of my new Wolsely Viper SE5a. A magnificent aircraft, and I love fighting in her.

I have twice been ordered to lead an attack on rail yards, with the orders to destroy as much rolling stock as possible. Despite this, the "recommended load out" is "none". I have on both occasions opted to load out with the only choice available...4 x 25lb cooper bombs.

On approaching the target, I select "vehicles" on my TAC and order my wingmen to "Attack". I am not so accurate or practiced enough to bomb from 5000 feet, so I generally dive down to 100 feet or less, strafe the rail line, select my bomb load, and wait till I have passed the last carriage on the train, and then release my bombs and pull up, extending away with lots of flicking the rudder left to right and catching foliage in my undercarriage until I'm far enough away, then I return, strafe once more, once again order my wingmen to attack.

This method had served me well enough in my old mount, a Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter. The problem was, it seems as if they never dived with me, despite me urging them to "rejoin" as I bled off some altitude. I was never shot down, and I had a 100% accuracy rate with my bombs, all striking valuable targets.

Now, with a fighter loaded with bombs, I select toggle weapons "Shift + S" and use my "safety covered" button 2 to release, but they will not release from my fuselage. I try the key command "Enter" to release ordnance, but they just won't dislodge. There are bombs dropping from my other flight members, they can release their weapons, but mine stay put.

Is this because I am essentially a fighter, not a bomber? Is it because I override the "Recommended Load Out" and choose to take bombs?

Should work fine, offhand no idea what that is. Go check in the strutter again you can drop?

It appears as if I have misunderstood the command "Select Weapon", given as "Shift + S" on Homeboy's Command Key Card. When i select this key, (and i have messages selected), it informs me that I have 4 x 25lb cooper bombs as my secondary weapons, but that does not allow me to release the ordnance. I did as you suggested Pol, and once again flew a strutter on a bombing mission. I was able to select my bombs, but unable to drop them.

However, if I use the "Backspace" command (Select next weapon), the same message (4 x 25lb cooper bombs etc) appears, and I can release their fury and who (in the immortal words of the Book Of Armaments) "being naughty in mine eyes, shall snuff it".

I thought that the meaning was very much the same for each of the two commands, "Select Weapon" and "Select Next Weapon" if there is only one weapon to be selected. It appears as if I need to re-map my commands. Thanks Pol.

It appears as if I have misunderstood the command "Select Weapon", given as "Shift + S" on Homeboy's Command Key Card. When i select this key, (and i have messages selected), it informs me that I have 4 x 25lb cooper bombs as my secondary weapons, but that does not allow me to release the ordnance. I did as you suggested Pol, and once again flew a strutter on a bombing mission. I was able to select my bombs, but unable to drop them.

However, if I use the "Backspace" command (Select next weapon), the same message (4 x 25lb cooper bombs etc) appears, and I can release their fury and who (in the immortal words of the Book Of Armaments) "being naughty in mine eyes, shall snuff it".

I thought that the meaning was very much the same for each of the two commands, "Select Weapon" and "Select Next Weapon" if there is only one weapon to be selected. It appears as if I need to re-map my commands. Thanks Pol.

Hmmm. Taking what UncleAl is saying here to heart I thought maybe I should rename "Select Next Weapon" as "Arm Secondary Weapon" or something like that. However, as I recall, some planes (Sopwith Camel for example) can load both bombs and flares in which case you truly would be "selecting next weapon." Sounds like further experimenting is necessary to decide if these commands are incorrectly labeled.

Bottom line, I'm certainly willing to change the command card to reflect reality. I'm going to watch this carefully before I decide to change anything.

Thanks for that observation.

Yes bombs have to be selected first, cycle through which ones to drop (if more than one cluster or choice) then another key to drop for me I think it's button 3.

<Button ID="1" Action="Fire_Guns"/>

<Button ID="3" Action="ReleaseFireWeapon"/>

<Button ID="4" Action="SelectNextWeapon"/>

Homeboy, yeah or maybe just put a note there, once you have cycled to the bomb or weapon release using button 3 or whatever default is.

Yes bombs have to be selected first, cycle through which ones to drop (if more than one cluster or choice) then another key to drop for me I think it's button 3.

<Button ID="1" Action="Fire_Guns"/>

<Button ID="3" Action="ReleaseFireWeapon"/>

<Button ID="4" Action="SelectNextWeapon"/>

Homeboy, yeah or maybe just put a note there, once you have cycled to the bomb or weapon release using button 3 or whatever default is.

So, if I have an SE5 loaded with both bombs and flares and I want to fire off a flare (for example), I would:

1. Select Next Weapon (Backspace key or Button 4) until flares are selected

2. Fire the flare (Enter key or button 3)

Correct?

So then, what is "Select Weapon" (Shift-S) used for then?

Sorry if I'm confusing this further since I am unable to test this at the moment.

Yep.

I have never used shift+s it's something different in my setup.

Maybe just check those work first... then you can add more key assignments to do the same as those...

On my key-card shift-S is called 'Select Payload'. I have no idea what it actually does.

Regardless, "Space bar" = 'select next weapon' is the one needed for bombs, as already stated.

Edited by 77Scout

Oh, I'm glad I don't have to carry bombs anywhere. Zose poor sods come flyink all der way

from St.Omer vizz der bombs, just to get shreddered by mein twin Spandaus, before zey can

even destroy anyssink vizz dem bombs - Mmuahahahahaaa!!!!!